AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this card today and does a superb job with HDTV. The card even has great scaling for analog cable although it would be really nice to be able to use dscaler. I'm using the loop through cable then running VGA to my Sanyo XP18n native XGA projector. Setting the display output to 1080i is obviously best for real HD broadcasts and works great in both full screen and overlay window. Every non-HD broadcast looks best using 1024p display output which works great in full screen but I get a black screen when using an overlay window.

I'm using the newest 2.5 beta from the accessdtv site. Anyone know if this is a bug or is something in my setup wrong?

·
Registered
703 Posts
In the beta version, you must enable the overlay window. I don't recall what this setting is called and can't check at the moment (in the middle of a defrag), but open the setup window and you'll see a box to check that says something like, "enable video window."

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there's one called Enable Application Video. This is on. The only situation in which I get a black screen on overlay is when I have the res set to 1024p. All other's work fine. 1024p is what it should be set to for most signals since I've got an XGA projector. I don't know what it could be.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Patrick,

What you're observing is normal. For some unknown reason, the overlay is disabled if the card output is set to XGA or 1440i (so-called computer resolutions).

For low resolution 4:3 signals, you might want to try 480p and potentially 720p, and let the projector do the scaling (depending on your equipment, this might look better than upconverting to 1080i and let your projector downscale)

Good luck

Eiffel

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is unfortunate. At least I know I don't have it set up wrong. Not that big a deal but kind of a hassle toggling different resolutions all the time. This card actually seems to do a great job of descaling the analog signals. I plugged my digital cable box into it and the picture is 95% what I can get out of my Xcapture plus dscaler. I could use a little filtering on some channels but overall it's entirely watchable. This is nice so I don't have to open up a new application just to see what's on cable. I might keep all going through the Access just for ease of use. Very impressed so far.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Patrick,

I suggest you look into Girder to do all the resolution swapping automatically... One little known advantage of the ADTV card over the competition it how easy it is to interface it with girder (DVDSpy is only compatible with ADTV...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.