AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pleased to announce the latest and greatest release for accessDTV users.

accessDTV 2004.0.0.27 Software Installation

accessDTV 4.12.0.7 Drivers

accessDTV 2004.0 Release Notes

Important Notes:

Make sure you backup your existing database files in your accessDTV\\bin\\db folder before installing the new version just in case something goes wrong with the install and you can no longer see your existing auto run searches. We had a few minor problems with this with our previous internal group release, but no one has complained with this release.

Note that once you install the new release and new drivers over any release prior to 2004.0.0.20, your existing picture settings (brightness, contrast, etc.) may be messed up. This is a side effect of adding new RGB picture controls in the 2004.0.0.20 release. Make a note of your current settings before installing the new release so you can restore them.

2004.0.0.27 Release Highlights (see the release notes for more details and the complete list of changes):

1) When playing a recorded program, the software now starts playing the subchannel that was entered in the scheduled event instead of always defaulting to subchannel 1.

2) Added support for accessDTV, MyHD, HiPix, and custom file sequence naming schemes to the Setup -> PVR dialog.

3) Fixed a problem with the program guide crashing when using the left/right keyboard keys to move beyond the edge of what is currently displayed. This does not address the problem with selecting the last date in the dropdown sometimes crashing the application.

4) Fixed a problem where adding time to a scheduled recording would not increase the length of what is written to disk.

5) Fixed a script error when launching the PC Picture OSD (ALT-P).

6) The last playback position is now saved when recording in TSREC mode if the user has moved to an earlier point in the recording, so long as the end of the recording is more than 4 minutes away from the current viewing position.

7) Added the ability to watch a transport stream by double clicking on it in Windows Explorer. This currently only works if the accessDTV Remote Control application is not currently running.

8) Added drag and drop support for transport stream files to the accessDTV Remote Control and Video windows. Any number of files may be dropped (up to the limit supported by the Windows drag/drop API), but the code currently assumes that all files except the last are the same size for segment size calculations and may or may not handle transitions from a 1080i to a 720p (or vice versa) program very well.

9) Added support to the auto resolution and aspect ratio feature for ANALOG mode. In ANALOG mode, the resolution is switched to 480p and the aspect ratio is set to 4:3.

10) Added an Add button to the Episode History section of the Edit Search dialog, allowing the user to add entries for episodes they do not want to record.

11) Added an Auto Record button to the Program Guide dialog which allows the user to quickly configure an Auto Run Search for the selected program with the "Automatically record shows", "Prevent Duplicates", "Title", "Episode", "Whole Words", and "Ignore Case" check boxes checked and the search text pre-filled with the program name. If the user is happy with the defaults, all that needs to be done is click the Save button and give the search a name. If the user wants the search to be executed immediately, the "Run All Auto-Record Searches Now" button can then be pressed to add episodes to the scheduled recording list.

12) Recording a show from the Program Guide dialog that is already in progress now ends the recording at the correct time.

13) Added a new scheduled event type, "Run External Program", and the ability to specify a program and command line parameters to run at event start and event end. A number of fields from the scheduled event can be passed as command line parameters.

14) Problems adding new scheduled events after installing an upgrade that changes the scheduled event structure are now fixed. This resolves problems where the user is unable to add new scheduled events after installing an upgrade.

15) A new registry key has been added to allow the log file to be stored in a different folder from the default location (usually C:\\Program Files\\accessDTV, Inc\\accessDTV\\bin).

16) A new registry key has been added to allow the database files to be stored in a different folder from the default location (usually C:\\Program Files\\accessDTV, Inc\\accessDTV\\bin\\db).

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not sure if this is related to the software or not, but I just got my AccessDTV card (just put it in and installed drivers and application). However, I am having nothing but problems.

It has crashed on my twice locking up the whole computer w/in a 2-3 minute time period. All I did was click enable timeshifting then changed the channel (both times). Maybe it was a fluke as I was just sort of playing around trying to figure everything out.

Another time it crashed (still just getting used to using everything) when I clicked enable timeshifting then clicked record a few minutes later.

Where do I sign up for the guide? I went the guideremote website and registerd, but I never had to pay for anything. Just signed up. I went into the setup in the AccessDTV software and put in my username and password and it shows the guide when I click "GUIDE" with my channels. I am afraid I might purchase the wrong thing. All my channels are mapped wrong, so I have to manual input that at the moment.

My setup:

P4 2.4c (Disabled Hyperthreading, although when I first installed and tried it out I had it enabled; after I disabled it noticed no difference - it still crashed :) ).

Intel 875P Motherboard

1GB RAM

120GB HDD

Nvidia 5700 Ultra

Chaintech 710 (via envy)

XP SP2

Also, just wondering. You mentioned something about eventually (hopefully anyway) that the developers are going to try and implement the ability to watch a previously recorded and record a show. I was just wondering how that was coming if at all. That would be a really neat feature.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by b3b0p
Not sure if this is related to the software or not, but I just got my AccessDTV card (just put it in and installed drivers and application). However, I am having nothing but problems.

It has crashed on my twice locking up the whole computer w/in a 2-3 minute time period. All I did was click enable timeshifting then changed the channel (both times). Maybe it was a fluke as I was just sort of playing around trying to figure everything out.

Another time it crashed (still just getting used to using everything) when I clicked enable timeshifting then clicked record a few minutes later.
Frequent crashes sure sound like Hyperthreading is enabled. Make doubly sure you disabled it on the motherboard BIOS setup. There hasn't been a lot of feedback on XP Service Pack 2, so that's a potential culprit too.

Quote:
Where do I sign up for the guide? I went the guideremote website and registerd, but I never had to pay for anything. Just signed up. I went into the setup in the AccessDTV software and put in my username and password and it shows the guide when I click "GUIDE" with my channels. I am afraid I might purchase the wrong thing. All my channels are mapped wrong, so I have to manual input that at the moment.
If the guide has data, then you signed up correctly - there should be a 1 week trial period.

Quote:
Also, just wondering. You mentioned something about eventually (hopefully anyway) that the developers are going to try and implement the ability to watch a previously recorded and record a show. I was just wondering how that was coming if at all. That would be a really neat feature.
I'm the only one who's been actively working on the software for a while now, so until that changes this is a big enough change and requires lots of driver work, that this is unlikely to happen for a while. I am starting to look into how much work would be involved in supporting a second accessDTV card in the same PC which could be used to accomplish the same thing and would have the added benefit of being able to record 2 shows at the same time.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by L8N8
Hey GSR, any chance we'll see a BDA driver for accessDTV in the near future? I really like the MCE interface, but I also like what I read about accessDTV.
Not likely. I'm not a driver guy and there's been very little involvement from the rest of the team for a while now. If someone has the credentials, development tools (Visual Studio 6.0 and Compuware driver tools - or wants to rewrite the drivers to migrate away from the Compuware tools) AND the interest to work on this then send me a PM. At this point, I have no interest in encouraging iTech to add anyone to the team unless there is a high degree of enthusiasm, a commitment to work on the project, and credentials that show you can do what you claim - so don't contact me if you're only half interested.

·
Registered
85 Posts
just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in.

i am running XPhome-sp2 with no problems. i was having huge problems (blue screens, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, STOP EA, STOP 8E) last month, but at that time i was running in APM mode. now that i have gone back to ACPI, my problems have disappeared. i am running an AthlonXP 2100+ so HT is not an issue in my case.

my sp2 install was from a slipstreamed cd to a formatted hard drive, not a upgrade in place.

sorry to hear that you have become an army of one. you do excellent work.

i haven't tested this with the new release but i noticed this with v22. st:enterprise is broadcast on a sub-channel in my area as letterboxed 704x480. to fill my 16:9 display i set the aDTV resolution to 480p and the source to letterbox to properly fill my HD display. (sorry, this seems to be resolved in the new release.)

i set these parameters before my scheduled recording starts. when the recording starts, the display blanks as normal for a few moments. when it returns it is full-screen instead of letterboxed. although the settings still indicate letterboxed.

i have to toggle to full-screen and then back to letterbox to get things back in sync and displayed correctly. so it seems that after starting a scheduled recording the display is going to a default setting instead of checking for the current settings. this is not a big issue, but i thought you could add it to that long list you have there.

also i have two issues with my local PBS/KET station. when i check the 'ts stream info' tab it indicates they are broadcasting 7 (0-6) streams. video is 704x480. they also seem to datacast, according to their website.

(i have tested these with the current release and they are still an issue)

1) sub-channel 4 broadcasts a 704x480 signal during the day but changes to 1080i in the evening and back to 704x480 around midnight. when they switch to 1080i i get some funny colors on the screen and must change sub-channels to correct. when they switch back to 704x480 the video only fills the upper left corner until i change sub-channels again. (this is no big deal for me, just something else to add to the list.)

2) is anyone else noticing problems locking onto stations with many sub-channels or PBS? anytime i change to this station or change sub-channels on this station there is a 90 second delay before a video is displayed. this is kind of a PITA because i must start captures several minutes early so i do not miss the start of a program. (on the other hand i rarely capture this station so it's a minor PITA.)

later and thanx

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also had aspect ratio problems in the last software version (as mentioned by the previous poster). Good news...it looks like it is fixed in the new software version.

I did run into one problem with the new software version so far...something I did not see in earlier software versions. Shortly after installing, I went to change the setting on the "Connection" tab to download on demand instead of downloading at a specified time. From then on, I got a green screen when I went into full screen. Same thing if I changed channels. I had to close the application and restart to get normal video restored.

·
Registered
707 Posts
When I schedule a recording I have no video in the video window. Just a black screen. It has happened twice now in a row. Once the recording finishes I get video again. Is it suppose to do this?

BWT, I did double check and hypherthreading is off.

I also have a question about converting to mpg. I used HDTVtoMPG2 and when I play the MPG files w/ NVDVD or WMP all I get is a black screen. Neither programs will play the TS file either. Is there some special setting I need change I just don't know about?

Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
on the 'PVR' tab 'enable background recording' should not be checked and on the 'audio/video/general' tab 'enable application video' should be checked.

very few programs will play a TS file. and this is not really the right thread for HDTVtoMPEG2 questions but try zoom player. i have seen reports of it playing TS files and i have used it to change filter registrations to get mpeg2 files to play correctly.

later

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by parkay
sorry to hear that you have become an army of one. you do excellent work.
A couple of other team members have made significant contributions to this project. Jeremy did the bulk of the driver work that's been done so far (including BSOD fixes, the driver portion of OSD implementation, the QAM experiment, etc.). Dave did the work for importing the GuideRemote data, the bulk of the auto run search functionality (I've made some enhancements to it), and a bunch of Guide fixes and enhancements. I've done just about everything else. Dave has been in transition to a new job but has indicated that he's still interested in doing some other things, so he hasn't deserted the project.

Quote:
i haven't tested this with the new release but i noticed this with v22. st:enterprise is broadcast on a sub-channel in my area as letterboxed 704x480. to fill my 16:9 display i set the aDTV resolution to 480p and the source to letterbox to properly fill my HD display. (sorry, this seems to be resolved in the new release.)
Please always test with the release the thread is about before posting a bug report. It's a lot easier for me if I don't have to read through extra stuff.

Quote:
i set these parameters before my scheduled recording starts. when the recording starts, the display blanks as normal for a few moments. when it returns it is full-screen instead of letterboxed. although the settings still indicate letterboxed.

i have to toggle to full-screen and then back to letterbox to get things back in sync and displayed correctly. so it seems that after starting a scheduled recording the display is going to a default setting instead of checking for the current settings. this is not a big issue, but i thought you could add it to that long list you have there.
Is this part of what you said is fixed or still a problem?

Quote:
1) sub-channel 4 broadcasts a 704x480 signal during the day but changes to 1080i in the evening and back to 704x480 around midnight. when they switch to 1080i i get some funny colors on the screen and must change sub-channels to correct. when they switch back to 704x480 the video only fills the upper left corner until i change sub-channels again. (this is no big deal for me, just something else to add to the list.)
This is probably the same problem as the reason why channel changes are disabled when timeshift mode is enabled. Not sure what the cause is, but I'm aware of this (not this specific situation, but when changing channels to a channel with a different resolution, this tends to be what happens).

Quote:
2) is anyone else noticing problems locking onto stations with many sub-channels or PBS? anytime i change to this station or change sub-channels on this station there is a 90 second delay before a video is displayed. this is kind of a PITA because i must start captures several minutes early so i do not miss the start of a program. (on the other hand i rarely capture this station so it's a minor PITA.)
This is a well known problem with certain PBS stations. Not sure exactly how to fix this and it's probably driver work. I haven't heard reports of stations other than PBS taking a long time to lock, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few around the country.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had a crash last night and again today while watching recordings of ALCS games 6 and 7 (had to work late this week and didn’t get to see the games live…thank you ADTV).

Both times, lockup occurred an hour or two into the programs, in fullscreen mode after jumping ahead in the file. (I use Alt-9 to jump 2 minutes ahead over commercials and Alt-6 to jump forward 11 seconds, for remaining commercials or pitch-to-pitch). So, I think in both cases I had hit Alt-9 followed by Alt-6 two or three seconds later. Picture froze, I was unable to exit fullscreen mode, and 30-60 seconds later, the computer rebooted. After reboot, file plays fine including through the segment where it previously got stuck. FWIW, file segment size is set at 10GB, auto program resolution and aspect ratio are both selected. Also, nothing that I can see in the ADTV or Windows logs seems to indicate a problem.

At first I thought it might have something to do with the software trying to download guide information. I say this because last night’s crash seemed to happen right at 1:00 am (or very close to it), which is when I have the guide data automatically downloaded. Today’s crash happened at almost exactly 1:30 pm (or close to it, again). This is probably coincidental, but thought I’d mention it anyway.

One other potential bug to report: changing the filename sequence format doesn’t seem to be sticking for me. I wanted to change it to the MyHD filename format, but upon reopening the setup panel, the setting has reverted back to @ACCESSDTV. Maybe because I already have recordings in my play folders with the ADTV filename format?

Thanks for your continued support. I’ll supply more info if needed or if I find out anything else.

-Steve

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for all the work on the new version. With minimal testing, I haven't seen any problems with it.

As a point of reference, I upgraded my HTPC to SP2 maybe a month ago. Haven't had any problems.

Bruce

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sem
Had a crash last night and again today while watching recordings of ALCS games 6 and 7 (had to work late this week and didn’t get to see the games live…thank you ADTV).
Sorry about these lockups. Not sure what would be causing them to happen other than somehow by bad chance jumping to a place in the files that choked the drivers or software.

Quote:
One other potential bug to report: changing the filename sequence format doesn’t seem to be sticking for me. I wanted to change it to the MyHD filename format, but upon reopening the setup panel, the setting has reverted back to @ACCESSDTV. Maybe because I already have recordings in my play folders with the ADTV filename format?
Nothing to do with existing recordings and everything to do with me not testing the Setup dialog fully. I wrote the behind the scenes code and then added the entry to the Setup dialog and obviously forgot to test that it gets saved correctly. I've got this fixed for the next release. In the meantime, if you'd like to use a different format, edit the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\AccessDTV\\AppInit\\FileSequenc eFormat

and set it to the value that displays in the Setup dialog (ie: @MYHD) for the choice you would like.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Last night I was watching the Jets-Pats game. It was in TSREC and I was about 2 hours behind. It had been programmed to continue the recording until 8:30. Instead, it recorded all the way until 9, when it was scheduled to pick up the L&O CSI episode. I looked at the log, and there is an event at 8:28:

CBM found show on Channel:40.0 start time: 2004/10/24 04:00:00 PM end time:2004/10/24 08:30:00 PM

but no more like that after 8:59 when the messages start up about the next show.

Bruce

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Lowekamp
Last night I was watching the Jets-Pats game. It was in TSREC and I was about 2 hours behind. It had been programmed to continue the recording until 8:30. Instead, it recorded all the way until 9, when it was scheduled to pick up the L&O CSI episode. I looked at the log, and there is an event at 8:28:

CBM found show on Channel:40.0 start time: 2004/10/24 04:00:00 PM end time:2004/10/24 08:30:00 PM

but no more like that after 8:59 when the messages start up about the next show.

Bruce
Bruce,

Did it stop recording the "game" at 9 and start recording L&O CI for you? That will help me track this down.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes, it began recording the CSI episode normally. Everything worked fine, other than there was another 30 minutes tacked onto the recording.

It also preserved my location in the football game just like it should. (thanks again for that feature)

Bruce

·
Registered
188 Posts
Geoffrey,

Thank you for all of your help thus far in getting AccessDTV up and running. I'm quite happy with the end result. I get five channels with perfect clarity, and I have only had two crashes while watching.

I am now trying to fully integrate AccessDTV with the rest of my HTPC.

I am looking to do the following:

1. Be able to open an HDTV recording in AccessDTV by selecting a recording. Or, on the other hand, find a way to play an AccessDTV recording inside other software: zoomplayer or windows media player. Perhaps there is a command line to open AccessDTV and start playing a certain file.

2. Be able to open AccessDTV to watch live tv (not using the loopback) and have the remote and video windows on my monitor start minimized (Are there any command line options?).

3. Prevent the remote and video screen from appearing when a scheduled recording starts.

4. Is there a way to change the order of the channels in the guide? Currently my main channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox) are separated by several other channels that I hardly ever, but occassionally, watch. Is there a way to put those four next to eachother at the beginning of the guide?

I would more than happily write a guide describing how to do all of this if you would like. I'll first be trying to integrate AccessDTV with Meedio, and then BeyondMedia Beta, and finally, Windows MCE 2005.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for all of the work on this. As it stands today, it is a good solution for HDTV in an HTPC.

Wad

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wad06
1. Be able to open an HDTV recording in AccessDTV by selecting a recording. Or, on the other hand, find a way to play an AccessDTV recording inside other software: zoomplayer or windows media player. Perhaps there is a command line to open AccessDTV and start playing a certain file.
If accessDTV isn't running, use the following command line format:

"C:\\Program Files\\accessDTV, Inc\\accessDTV\\accessDTV.exe" "filename.ts"

Modify the path to point to accessDTV.exe if you didn't install to the default folder and give the full path to the file you want to watch. Currently if accessDTV is running, executing this command would be ignored - that will change in the next release. Currently you can only launch a single file in this manner and it needs to be a transport stream. The next release will still only support a single file, but will accept an accessDTV xml index file or a transport stream file.

Quote:
2. Be able to open AccessDTV to watch live tv (not using the loopback) and have the remote and video windows on my monitor start minimized (Are there any command line options?).
Doable via a command line in a future release, but currently if you hide both windows the app will remember that state next time it starts and come up with both windows hidden.

Quote:
3. Prevent the remote and video screen from appearing when a scheduled recording starts.
Basically the same as 2, though it would be an enhancement/addition to the background recording option (though I think there's a lot of value in seeing the time progress while recording to confirm that everything is proceeding properly).

Quote:
4. Is there a way to change the order of the channels in the guide? Currently my main channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox) are separated by several other channels that I hardly ever, but occassionally, watch. Is there a way to put those four next to eachother at the beginning of the guide?
Not at this time. Not sure if the amount of work (I'd have to look into just how much work, but this probably isn't as trivial as it sounds) would justify the convenience in this case.

Quote:
I would more than happily write a guide describing how to do all of this if you would like. I'll first be trying to integrate AccessDTV with Meedio, and then BeyondMedia Beta, and finally, Windows MCE 2005.
Be my guest :).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.