Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Textf>Texts>Textc>

I live on the west side of Los Angeles, right on the coast I do not have a line-of-sight to Mt. Wilson where the TV stations are located, thanks to the Santa Monica mountains, so I was convinced that I would not be able to receive DTV. I did not want to invest in a HDTV unless I could receive OTA signals.

When AccessDTV came out with their inexpensive HDTV card for the pc, I thought I would give it a try.

The card arrived two days after I ordered it. I installed it on a 4-year-old Micron, which had access to an area where I could try various UHF antennas. The installation was flawless and when I launched the program it ran without a hitch. The Micron was running Windows 2000 Professional. I plugged in the small indoor UHF antenna that came with the unit and placed it on the BBQ out on the balcony. I aimed the antenna toward the hills that blocked my signal path noting there were several tall building in the area that surely would cause severe multi-path problems should there be a signal.

To my surprise, CBS on channel 60 popped on the screen, as did 9 other DTV stations. So I didn't live in an rf gulch after all.

The DTV pictures were outstanding and the HD pictures were spectacular. (Four stations were transmitting HD.)

The Micron is a dual boot system, so the system was installed under Windows ME also - again flawlessly.

I moved the card to a Dell computer/21" monitor that was just a few months old, also running both Windows ME and Windows 2000 Pro, again, with no problems.

The AccessDTV HDTV plug-in card is a marvel. It receives both analog TV (both OTA frequencies and cable frequencies) and DTV at 480p and HD at 720p and 1080i. The picture can be displayed on your computer monitor or on a HD ready TV. The sound can be played through your PC speakers or surround through your hi-fi system.

The card also provides recording capabilities. Like TiVO, it includes a pause button which will stop the show you are watching while you go to the bathroom, answer the telephone, replenish your adult refreshment, etc. and then pick-up where you left off when you return. It has instant replay (last 5, 10 or 15 seconds) and you can record programs. The recording capabilities works when you are in the DTV mode but not the analog mode.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
All right, that's more than I can take!!

What the heck(*) are these big TEXT lines that people keep putting in their posts?

Back to the subject at hand: I'd like to point out that there is another card, the HiPix, that can record HDTV. It has one advantage over accessDTV and one disadvantage. The advantage is that its recordings are not encrypted. The accessDTV take the free unencrypted over-the-air broadcasts and applies encryption. I find this morally offensive. The advantage accessDTV has over the HiPix is that it can record one thing while watching another.

Digital Connection sells both of these cards. Those interested in the subject should search the Home Theater Computers forum.

(*) heck is where people go that don't believe in gosh.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Quote:
The advantage accessDTV has over the HiPix is that it can record one thing while watching another.
Nope...

Quote:
Your are currently recording. Do you want to stop recording?
That is a direct quote, for when you try to play a file while already recording. If you click the "no" button, it just exits you back to the state where you were just watching what you were recording.

However, accessDTV can "timeshift." That is, you can "pause live TV" and rewind and fast forward a bit on live TV. This feature crashes my PC, perhaps due to its VIA southbridge (AMD-760 chipset.)

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

[This message has been edited by Abdul Jalib (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
At this point AccessDTV is very slow responding to the PVR lockup fix and other new feature requests, while Hipix seems to be more actively working on new PVR gigs.

My PC also uses VIA chips so AccessDTV is a crippled HD PVR at best, and no one seemed to be interested in finding a fix at this point.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The advantage accessDTV has over the HiPix is that it can record one thing while watching another.

Nope...

quote:

Your are currently recording. Do you want to stop recording?

That is a direct quote, for when you try to play a file while already recording. If you click the "no" button, it just exits you back to the state where you were just watching what you were recording.
Huh? I was not sure what you meant (did not sound like watching one thing while recording another) so I did the following experiment:

First I set the HiPix to start a recording a few minutes in the future. Then I started playing a previous recording. When the time came for the recording to start, the picture switched to the now-current recording.

Next, while the recording was in progress, I tried clicking on the Source button but nothing happend. It would not let me even access the file mode.

This is with version 2.30.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.