AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently implementing a 2.35:1 constant-height screen in a new theater I am building. Switching to a particular aspect ratio may involve changing several different "settings" (e.g. move drapes to a particular position, run TheaterTek DVD player with a particular aspect ratio setting, slide the ISCO II lens in or out of place using a motorized mechanism, switch to a particular memory/input on my G15 projector, etc.)

I am assuming that all of these settings can be made from my HTPC (probably using something like Girder).

I was thinking that it would be *really* neat if I could automatically determine what aspect ratio a DVD is when it is popped into the DVD-ROM drive and automatically set everything up so the movie is ready to play with no user intervention whatsoever!

It seems that DVD Profiler has the following two features that could make this possible:

1) It has a way of reading the "DVD ID" of a disc when it is inserted; this is one of the options it provides for recognizing your discs when you are building your catalog.

2) It has all the aspect ratio information that I would need stored in its database.

Does anybody know if there is a way to achieve what I need to do programatically using DVD Profiler? I have no problem writing a simple C++ or VB program if necessary.

Any other suggestions that don't involve using DVD Profiler would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

p.s. Here's a link to my post in the Digital Projectors forum about how I'm planning to implement my 2.35:1 constant-height screen with a G15 projector and ISCO II lens:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=139736

·
Registered
875 Posts
Actually, I wrote a VB script to put all the information in a text file from DVD Profiler's database. I used to pull infomation for Mario's DVD Lobby Pro program. It might be able to help you out.

If you do a search for the thread (sorry don't have it handy), there is a link to a page that exports the DVD Profiler database to XML. I just converted that xml to text. The C++ source is included, you may be able to alter the code to just export to text directly, instead of XML.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds promising, Dizzy. Does it also export the "DVD ID" from DVD Profiler? I can't seem to find access to the "DVD ID" information from anywhere inside of DVD Profiler (I tried creating a report that would have this in it).

For that matter, does anyone know how to programatically query the DVD ID from a DVD that has been inserted in the DVD ROM drive?

Thanks again.

-Dave

·
Registered
146 Posts
The volume serial number that DVD Profiler evidently uses to index its database is not available in reports or CSV export.
  • this thread describes attempts to get the title information from DVD Profiler onto an LCD display.
  • this earlier thread describes the roadblocks to getting it out of their database.
  • this one refers to GetVolumeInformation, which you use to get the serial number.
  • this Girder thread outlines a bit more about what's going on with that effort.

·
Registered
875 Posts
DVD Profiler doesn't use the DVD ID. You enter the UPC code on the back, and THAT is accessible with the script. Here is the link the to DVD Lobby development thread. In there you'll find links to several places. One has the DVD Profiler Extractor (I think it actually talks about extracting the actors or something, same page, diff program) There's also links the to utility on Mario's site that convert the DVD Profiler database to text.

DVD Profiler Thread

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MMcM,

Looks like you have spent a lot time trying to pull out the *exact* information I'm looking for. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't found a way to get the DVD ID from DVD Profiler. Have you tried contacting the developer of DVD Profiler and asking if this information could be made available in one of the exported databases?

I guess I could build my own table (in my case I don't care about the DVD Name but am more interested in aspect ratio and whether it is anamorphic or not), but that seems like a real waste of effort.

Have you tried searching for the DVD IDs in DVD Profiler's internal database? Are they a fixed-length binary value? I may do some playing around with this myself...

Dizzy,

There are actually at least three ways of entering DVDs into DVD Profiler. One is by entering the UPC code from the back of the case, the second is by searching for the filename in the database, but the third is that you can simply insert the DVD and DVD Profiler will read the DVD ID from the disc and look it up in its database for you. This is the piece of information that MMcM and I are looking to get access to, but it is not exposed to us in any way.

-Dave

·
Registered
875 Posts
Unfortunatly the DVD ID is not in the database that I could find. I contacted the creator of DVD Profiler, and they are next to useless. It took them nearly two weeks to say that they will allow 3rd party programs to use their database in their next release. Of course it's been, what a year and a half since the latest version was released. So I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
dknight,

You could use a combination of DVDLobby Pro and batch files to pull off what you are trying to do. You would just create 3 different batch files that correspond to the correct aspect ratio of the movie. Then depending on which aspect ratio for the movie, you would call up an appropriate batch file that then sends all the commands or loads the Girder eventstring and/or Slinke commands.

I imagine someone with programming experience (Dizzy, boyskter, lrowland) could write a script that would read the values of the test results produced by Sean's program and actually create the correct batch file for each movie. Over my head though. Until then you would need to assign batch files manually.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
146 Posts
dknight,

I see that you found the DVD Profiler support forum topic from last year where we tried to get them to allow export of the SERIAL_NUM field(s).

I believe that it's a Delphi program and that the database used is DBISAM , which means you can't just get at it via ODBC. And since a join from the collection db to the master db is needed, binary extraction is also impractical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.