AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find a forum for AccessTV.

I own both AccessTV and SageTV with a Hauppauge PVR350 card. Along with the Radeon 9600pro Ultimate videocard and Revolution 7.1 audiocard.

All in a D.vine 4 case with 400watt PS, pent 2.8mgz, 1gig 3200 ram.

Running WinXP pro. TheaterTek for DVD movies. All drivers and updates current for all programs, OS and devices.

First question: Why is it that since I have my desktop set at 1280 x 768 (which I guess is higher than 720p) displayed on my Pioneer 51" plasma screen that I can't display any non-dtv tv shows high than 480p?

Last night we finnally got around to installing and playing around with AccessTV card. Got it isntalled and read the manuals figuring out how to work it all. Played around with the supplied antenae placement. Only got max signal strenght on two channels. So we did all our testing on those channels. Used the PCI bus for audio out of the Analog outputs of the Revolution because Theater Tek uses the SPIDF output of the Revolution 7.1 card to connect to a Denon 3300 which only has one coax digital input :(

Everytime I try and switch the video output of the AccessTV card from 480p to anything higher the plasma screen goes black. losing sync and displays the error mssg that there is no signal. I realize that there was no DTV or HDTV being broadcasted last night. Have to wait till there is one showing here in Phoenix Az. Probably be a bunch this sunday. Can someone please give me some advice what to do here? Watching the standard analog 480i broadcasts looks absolutely horrible right now. Image looks much better on a standard 27" analog tv set.

One more question. We have to sign up for a service with AccessTV to get any kind of programing? many of the buttons on the remote control do nothing at all. Like GUide.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Isnt there an AccessTV forum somewhere?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes sorry. AccessDTV. I havn't had any luck getting help on here with it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump. Need assistance

·
Registered
571 Posts
1) I have no idea. How does your plasma take inputs from the adtv card? Are you using the passthrough cable? I suspect you are, if the screen blanks out as you say it does. I almost wonder if this could be powerstripped or something else.

2) that service is quite defunct. Make sure to go to the adtv website ( www.accessdtv.com ) to get the most recent beta drivers and software; they have many, many bug fixes that are worth taking advantage of. I never got the guide to work, period, even when iTech was offering it.

3) Murray Kerdman is heading up a group of developers to release a newer version of the ADTV software. Look for postings he's made to see if those threads have answers to your questions. His username is mkerdman.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok im worried now. I tried to call AccessDTV's 1800 number and its not working. They have no Forum but do have tech support email address. THink I will try that next.

Im sure I have the newest drivers and software off their website when I installed it last saturday night.

I do get bad quality normal TV shows at the 480p settings. I also am using the Video pass thru cable. That cable sure is hard to push into its socket on the AccesssDTV card. Took some working it to get it to go in.

·
Registered
571 Posts
you probably won't get a response from that address. They don't really support the product that much anymore, but have passed all development off to Murray and his intrepid team of developers. He really is your best bet.

I am somewhat surprised that you are experiencing crappy image quality; I have pretty decent quality at 480p. All Fox 'HD' shows are at 480p, so watching one of those is a good indicator of true 480p. Also, have you tried searching for users with powerstrip and this card? I personally have a projector running at 1024x768, and have no problem running at the higher resolution modes (though the software is clearly lying if it says I'm at 720p)

good luck.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Err...this doesn't sound well at all. Maybe I should return this card and get the MyHD card. If they don't return my email I sent to their tech support I will. I assumed they would be more supportive since they posted alot on SageTV forum asking for support of their card. Im getting very disappointed. This is nothing like SageTV or Theater Tek support.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,831 Posts
First off, see the thread discussing a brand new release of the accessDTV software:

accessDTV Version 2003.0 Beta Announcement

Next, are you watching accessDTV output from your desktop OR from the accessDTV card's video output? Do you have the software configured for single or dual monitor? Exactly how do you have your video cables connected? There are several different ways to configure things which will have an impact on what level of image quality you end up watching.

Watching the video overlay window provided by the accessDTV software is not the ideal way to watch as a reduced resolution (720 x 480, IIRC) is sent over the PCI bus to the desktop video output. The only way to take full advantage of the HD resolution using the card is to watch the video output direct from the accessDTV card.

Cliff Watson posted a pretty good primer on how to hook things up on the Digital Connection website:

Connecting the PC HDTV Video Card to your Digital TV

Let us know how it goes.

FYI, I'm one of the members of the volunteer accessDTV development team.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TracerBullet
I am somewhat surprised that you are experiencing crappy image quality; I have pretty decent quality at 480p. All Fox 'HD' shows are at 480p, so watching one of those is a good indicator of true 480p. Also, have you tried searching for users with powerstrip and this card? I personally have a projector running at 1024x768, and have no problem running at the higher resolution modes (though the software is clearly lying if it says I'm at 720p)
If you're watching the video overlay window (which I assume you're doing since you mention Powerstrip), then you aren't taking full advantage of the capabilities of the card. The overlay window only gets a 720 x 480 image from the card - you need to watch video from the accessDTV video output to get full resolution. This is a limitation of the PCI bus, not the accessDTV card - full resolution decoded HD video can't be transmitted over the bus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.