AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a ps3 60 last nite and just hooked it up. I must admit extremely easy setup. Plugged hdmi into receiver and power plug into conditioner and getting 1080p now. No problems finding device. Only movie I picked up was Speed and watching it now. Nice pic (watching on Mits 37").

Only problem I have noticed is about 10 seconds during the elevator scene audio sounded like a transitor radio but cleared up immediately. According to receiver I am listening in MPCM and ps3 info is DTS 5.1 48kHz @1.5 Mbps.

Also have 360 add-on and have had no problems with it. Have been using my Denon 1920C through hdmi for sd and they are upconverted to 1080i. Still debating about Toshiba A2 but the only benefit I can see over the Denon is audio and is $400-500 worth the difference right now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't say "dark side" I'd say the smart side of dual format like alot of us here.Congrats and welcome to the only side that will win either way. I would also say that a stand alone would be a good bet for HD-DVD. You will get better audio and HDMI, which from your post I see you can take advantage of.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance50 /forum/post/0

Picked up a ps3 60 last nite and just hooked it up. I must admit extremely easy setup. Plugged hdmi into receiver and power plug into conditioner and getting 1080p now. No problems finding device. Only movie I picked up was Speed and watching it now. Nice pic (watching on Mits 37").

Only problem I have noticed is about 10 seconds during the elevator scene audio sounded like a transitor radio but cleared up immediately. According to receiver I am listening in MPCM and ps3 info is DTS 5.1 48kHz @1.5 Mbps.

Also have 360 add-on and have had no problems with it. Have been using my Denon 1920C through hdmi for sd and they are upconverted to 1080i. Still debating about Toshiba A2 but the only benefit I can see over the Denon is audio and is $400-500 worth the difference right now.

I would add the A2 to your setup...I love my Ps3 and HD DVD A2. The really nice thing about the A2 is it's playback of not only HD but it does a excellent job with Sd where as the PS3 does not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surprisingly enough I just put Cars in the bd and although it is only running at 480p but it actually doesn't look bad.

Probably will hold off on the a2 for alittle while since I can us the Denon for SD.

So for now no regrets on the ps3.

One other question, I use cox internet so do I have to purchase a router or can I use the plug on the modem?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 /forum/post/0

I would add the A2 to your setup...I love my Ps3 and HD DVD A2. The really nice thing about the A2 is it's playback of not only HD but it does a excellent job with Sd where as the PS3 does not.

Fyi I heard that a new firmware is coming soon for the A2, according to Robert from VE.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Congratulations on you PS3 purchase. I think you will be impressed with it. It is an amazing piece of electronics for $600.

There is nothing wrong owning both machines. There are great titles on both HD DVD and Blu Ray.

Plus it is all ways more fun on the Dark Side!!!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/0

Fyi I heard that a new firmware is coming soon for the A2, according to Robert from VE.

My A2 works perfect...must be a firmware upgrade for the problem with HDMI/DVI...I am straight HDMI and my A2 works flawless.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Quote:

Surprisingly enough I just put Cars in the bd and although it is only running at 480p but it actually doesn't look bad.

Probably will hold off on the a2 for alittle while since I can us the Denon for SD.

So for now no regrets on the ps3.

One other question, I use cox internet so do I have to purchase a router or can I use the plug on the modem?

Many users have reported excellent sd dvd playback on ps3 -including me. Looks VERY good. Yes you can plug the ps3 to your cable modem but if you want the connection shared with other computers you need a router.

·
Registered
325 Posts
To the OP: the Dark Side is usually associated to Windows, whereas people switching to a Mac go to the Light Side. And as Microsoft roots for HD-DVD while Apple is a founding member of the BDA, well...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If you own a 360 add-on a stand alone would be a pointless and risky investment at this stage. If HD DVD flops then you'd have wasted your money, at least with the 360 drive, you'll only have wasted $200

·
Registered
191 Posts
Despite the PS3s "unpopularity" the HD-DVD forum seems to have a lot of problems with their standalone units whereas the PS3 has very few. I have the 360 addon and it's good for watching non BD exclusives but that's about it.

Sony said they will release a firmware update that will upscale DVDs probably around the time for the European March release.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:

Right now the PS/3 is just an ordinary DVD player. If your set does nice upscaling, you'll be happy.

When the player does upscaling, it better to extraordinary upscaling, since it has to beat what the set makers put into the set for SD upscaling.

It's the 1080i/1080p debate all over again. Those with nice outboard scalers probably think the whole debate is funny as heck. They'll take 480i through HDMI if they can get it (don't futz at all with the stream!).

Gary

·
Registered
662 Posts
Congrates bvance50 on picking up the PS3. You are format neutral and that's the place to be.

Don't pay attention to the fanboys above. They just ruin intelligent discussions on this forum.

If you can truely take advantage of the audio upgrade I'd go for the Standalone HD player. If not just stick with the 360 addon. The investment is not a waste as you'll always need a player for the HD DVD's you've purchase.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
YEAH I KILLED THE PS3:

then i picked one up 2 weeks ago, my jury is still out, ONLY because theres not enough software out for it right now!

i got the 60g-r:fom and M:I:3 for $660.00 bucks out the door

·
Registered
19,964 Posts

Quote:

You didn't cross over to the dark side. And neither would someone who purchased a HD DVD player. You chose what is best for you and your money. And that's all that matters.

·
Banned
1,688 Posts
If this format war remains a stalemate by next year, then I will probably buy a low cost HD DVD player for the exclusive titles that I want.

Did anyone listen to the HT Guys podcast regarding CES in terms of HD DVD and Blu-ray?

Basically they feel it is too soon to declare a winner, but they admitted that many brand name companies are touting Blu-ray products while HD DVD was only really present at the Toshiba and Microsoft booth. LG was the exception due to the dual format player they are touting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.