AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Federal Communications Commision has designated Digital High Definition as being Wide Screen 16 x 9 !

You can buy what you wish 4:3 or 16 X 9 but please don't *mislead* others into thinking any '4:3' is a offically a HDTV! We will never get people to understand that the FCC has stated that Digital will be 16 X 9 Wide Screen.

Every other forum is almost dedicated to wide screen *except* the direct view forum. I came to AVS for Wide Screen Theater, *not* what I have had to look at since 1954! Only 2 things have *changed*, Color 1965 and Stereo Sound in 1986. That's right we have only had 'stereo' only 16 years in commercial television!

Who will join me in a crusade to get the real high definition out to the people for them to change to Wide Screen TV? When it happens 4 years or 14 years this will be widely accepted once it is the norm. I have seen georgious landscapes in films that are *not* cut short to the right and left anymore. I don't care to see the cameras swinging around for Pan and Scan.

Breathtaking views such as Vertical Limit or On Deadly Ground (Alaska). After everyone has 16 X 9 only then we will finally be modern again, as other countries are in the race to become digital like us. I would like to see the USA be the number one all digital country first. Who will help me in Direct View get this message out to as many as we can?:)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
OK, I think we've all had enough of hob's 16:9/FCC pulpit.

Honestly...4:3 sets make sense for some people. I live in what in the midwest we call an urban area, with all major stations broadcasting in HDTV, and yet the majority of programming is still 4:3 SDTV.

If selling 4:3 HDTVs is what it takes to get more people to adopt the standard, then I'm all for it.

They're the ones that have to live with the letterboxing...we're the ones that have to live with the windowboxing. Either way is a compromise. Neither is perfect.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Hob, enough. Stop this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do 4:3 HDTVs compress the scan lines to letterbox 16:9 content like they do for lower-resolution signals? In other words, will a 4:3 HDTV given a 1080i signal show all 1080 lines in the middle two-thirds of the screen? Or does it downconvert?

The way I see it, if you get all of your scan lines and you see all of the image without stretching, it's HDTV whether you have a bunch of unused glass or not.

::

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hob:

I really believe the FCC is talking about CONTENT. Not Monitors. I don't think the FCC states anything about the monitor it's displayed on do they?

·
Registered
952 Posts
The FCC are a bunch of wash-outs of society hob...kinda like your rca is...something no one else wanted but someone took in out of pity or despare.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
hob, honestly, this is not really very constructive anymore. i have always tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but you continue to be antagonistic and without saying anything of substance. if you feel like stimulating conversations worth having, then go ahead and post. but until then, i hope you realize there's NO point at all in trying to berate people because their tv isn't the same shape as yours. many people buy 4:3 because they want to watch cable and directv without distorting it. so just let it go, man. you're not doing anything but irritating people for no reason, and your offensive self-righteousness isn't going over well anymore.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To be fair, hob brings up a good point about HDTV signals for anyone living in a cave.

And he's right about something else -- "Vertical Limit" and "On Deadly Ground" are breathtaking. Like most things that are bad enough to kill you.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think I see now what the problem is, Hob. You're getting confused between a definition and a standardization.

HDTV or DTV is not defined as being 16:9, that's a standard that's to be applied to it. "Digital" is defined as the kind of data that is transmitted in blips that are either on or off. "Analog" is defined as the kind of data that is transmitted in some parameter of a signal that can fluctuate and be modulated up and down within a certain range. "High-definition" is defined as an image consisting of roughly a million or more pixels, while standard-definition has been set at about 300,000 pixels for a long time.

So, neither "digital" nor "analog" has anything to do with picture resolution, and "high-definition" doesn't technically have anything to do with "digital" or "analog". (Although, for technological reasons, it is always digital... but some digital TV isn't high-definition.)

And the above data storage and transmission methods can be used for images in ANY aspect ratio, including 4:3, 16:9, and a lot of others. Aspect ratio does not dictate whether a signal is digital or analog, or whether it's HD or not, because these terms aren't defined by aspect ratio. That's why a TV image stored and transmitted digitally with 1.6 million pixels is still digital and high-definition, no matter what shape the image is. They could black out triangles of the screen and make it a trapezoidal image, but it would still be digital and high-definition.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i thought the standerd was 720p or 1080i, not 4:3 or 16:9, Joe (may be wrong though, the standerd may be plasma or dlp, have to check in on that though, j/k)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Your not bashing the RCA F38310 are you?
Actually I am not. I simply stating that having tthe television doesn't warrant bragging rights. It's not even close. Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Signal vs Hardware. It's true all hdtv signals will be 16:9, but not all hardware will be, probably for a long time.

The 4:3 hdtv sets are hdtv sets for the transitional period.

I have a 4:3 set (not hd) and I watch 4:3 and 16:9 material on it ("**pretend** your in a real Movie Theater; Turn Off *ALL* Lights till it's over!" :) ). Sooner or later I'll have a 16:9 HDTV and watch both 4:3 and 16:9 material on it. Yes, 4:3 HDTVs are HDTVs.

(edit: silly rant deleted)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I STILL haven't found anything on FCC's website that states anything about 16x9 vs 4x3. All they talk about is Digital TV, not HDTV.

The only reference to HDTV was this:

Quote:
If broadcasters so choose, they can offer what has been called "high definition television" or HDTV, television with theater-quality pictures and CD-quality sound. Alternatively, a broadcaster can offer several different TV programs at the same time, with pictures and sound quality better than is generally available today.
They don't specify that anyone MUST broadcast in a certain format, or resolution. They can do it however they want - as long as its in digital, and not analog format.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/dtv/#FAQ

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dfedders
I STILL haven't found anything on FCC's website that states anything about 16x9 vs 4x3.
That's because all the aspect ratio stuff is in the ATSC spec, which is only included by reference in the FCC regs.

Since the ATSC and the CE manufacturers define HD as "more than 480 picture scan lines", and since the only ATSC modes with more than 480 picture scan lines are 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (not yet used...and maybe never...for OTA), only 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are HD.

If you look at the ATSC resolution definitions, all those HD modes are always 16:9.

Thus, all HD is 16:9 picture.

Then, the CE manufacturers define a 16:9 HD monitor as having at least 720 active picture scan lines while displaying HD material. For 4:3 sets, the spec is more lax, saying only that a 4:3 set must be able to show a 16:9 image in correct aspect ratio and have at least 540 scan lines in that 16:9 area when showing 720p material, and 810 scan lines in that same area when showing 1080i material.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.