AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question but I am converting my third car garage into a dedicated theater room. It is a good rectangular room and I am building a sub floor over the concrete slab that is going to be insulated with a heavy carpet pad and a carpet.

Question is I would like to hang acoustical treatment to even improve the sonic characteristics of the room itself. With my limited knowledge of accoustics, I think I am going to go with diffusers and bass traps. The walls will act as reflectors ??? (not sure if I got this correct)

I am attaching a picture with my setup and what I have planned. Please let me know if I am going in a totally wrong direction.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
There is a dedicated home theater construction thread here . In there is a sticky for acoustical treatment, although as you'll see the experts haven't been around lately.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 /forum/post/15539498

With my limited knowledge of accoustics, I think I am going to go with diffusers and bass traps.

Bass traps are a given, and the more the better. Your plan is okay in that regard, but more traps will make a very big improvement.

I'm not a fan of diffusion on the side walls. The best place for diffusors is on the rear wall behind you. Understand that good diffusors cost more (commercial or DIY) than good absorbers, so that's a big deciding factor.

One big problem I see in your plans is the seating is pretty much right in the middle of the room, front to back. That's a bad place to sit because that's where you'll have the least bass. Much better is about 38% of the way measured from either the front or the rear walls. Much more here:

How to set up a room
RealTraps Articles
RealTraps Videos

--Ethan

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok if I add more bass traps then where shpuld they be placed? Was planning on having just two in the back wall but I can add two more for a total of four. With regards to absorbers, can I just substitute them where I had plans for the diffusers?

With regards to the 38 percent rule, would it matter if I move the subs closer to my seating position? Like the back of the seat row for example. I am hesitant to move the seating because it is optimized for the dlp projector.

Would a room eq help me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer /forum/post/15544933

Bass traps are a given, and the more the better. Your plan is okay in that regard, but more traps will make a very big improvement.

I'm not a fan of diffusion on the side walls. The best place for diffusors is on the rear wall behind you. Understand that good diffusors cost more (commercial or DIY) than good absorbers, so that's a big deciding factor.

One big problem I see in your plans is the seating is pretty much right in the middle of the room, front to back. That's a bad place to sit because that's where you'll have the least bass. Much better is about 38% of the way measured from either the front or the rear walls. Much more here:

How to set up a room
RealTraps Articles
RealTraps Videos

--Ethan

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 /forum/post/15545920

Ok if I add more bass traps then where shpuld they be placed?

Bass traps do the best job when placed straddling corners, as explained in the articles and videos I linked above.

Quote:
With regards to absorbers, can I just substitute them where I had plans for the diffusers?

Yes.

Quote:
would it matter if I move the subs closer to my seating position?

Probably. See this:

Subwoofer Placement

Quote:
Would a room eq help me?

Not as much as more bass traps. See this:

Audyssey Report

--Ethan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts