AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about using the new Acer Aspire AH340-UA230N Home Server for a central storage unit for my Blueray/music/TV show storage unit...

any thoughts on how this might perform?

haven't seen many reviews on the internet about this server yet, just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with it...

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclt1001 /forum/post/17025213

I was thinking about using the new Acer Aspire AH340-UA230N Home Server for a central storage unit for my Blueray/music/TV show storage unit...

any thoughts on how this might perform?

haven't seen many reviews on the internet about this server yet, just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with it...

You should be fine. I have an HP MediaSmart server which is similar and have no issues.

Here is a review of the Acer ( http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/04/3...e-home-server/ )

·
Registered
25 Posts
Based on the review, I'd recommend it. Personally, though, I'd lean towards a HP home media server, or build my own...but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I purchased the Acer a few days ago and so far no problems and really like it. I built a WHS last year with 9TB that i have running but wanted something small like the ACER. The only problem I have now is WHS Connect Software will only configure 1 server. So I currently have the ACER on that and if I need to get into my other one I have to use Remote Access to get in. Not a big deal but would be nice to have 2 WHS Connect shortcuts on the desktop. The ACER is really quit and compact. It installed without a problem. So far I added 1 Seagate 1.5TB 5900rpm drive to it and will add another one today.

I would like to take out the Hitachi 1tb drive that came with the unit and replace it with a 1.5 Seagate which runs much cooler. I am not a fan of Hitachi drives.

When Idle, the Hitachi runs at 140F and the Seagate runs at 108F. Does anyone know how you replace the system drive?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum /forum/post/17032601

I purchased the Acer a few days ago and so far no problems and really like it. I built a WHS last year with 9TB that i have running but wanted something small like the ACER. The only problem I have now is WHS Connect Software will only configure 1 server. So I currently have the ACER on that and if I need to get into my other one I have to use Remote Access to get in. Not a big deal but would be nice to have 2 WHS Connect shortcuts on the desktop. The ACER is really quit and compact. It installed without a problem. So far I added 1 Seagate 1.5TB 5900rpm drive to it and will add another one today.

I would like to take out the Hitachi 1tb drive that came with the unit and replace it with a 1.5 Seagate which runs much cooler. I am not a fan of Hitachi drives.

When Idle, the Hitachi runs at 140F and the Seagate runs at 108F. Does anyone know how you replace the system drive?

You can find some good information on replacing the system drive and WHS here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...hp?f=17&t=3722

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/17032616

You can find some good information on replacing the system drive and WHS here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...hp?f=17&t=3722

Thanks,

After reading, it confirmed my thoughts of keeping the system drive the smallest in the server. So, other than the reliability of the Hitachi and the drive temp I think I will leave it currently and keep a close watch on it. I have another new Seagate 1.5tb 7200rpm that I'm going to put in and see how the temp does on that. If it gets too high I'll stick with the 5900rpm drives.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum /forum/post/17033155

Thanks,

After reading, it confirmed my thoughts of keeping the system drive the smallest in the server. So, other than the reliability of the Hitachi and the drive temp I think I will leave it currently and keep a close watch on it. I have another new Seagate 1.5tb 7200rpm that I'm going to put in and see how the temp does on that. If it gets too high I'll stick with the 5900rpm drives.

For my MediaSmartServer I have 6 1TB WD GP drives (one of which is the O/S drive), 1 1TB Seagate Barracuda (old drive I had lying around) and 1 1.5TB WD GP drive. I am building a new WHS though, so I just got a 500GB Caviar Black for the O/S (hopefully this drive will be only used for O/S related stuff) and then I will start migrating all my other drives over. Also just picked up the Seagate 1.5TB LP drive, so it will give a chance to compare performance/temps agains the WD GP drives.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had the Acer Easystore WHS for almost a month now. I left the 1 tb WD green drive as the OS drive and installed 3 other 1 tb WD Black drives that I was using in my main computer. Everything is working normally. I did reverse the flow of the fan in the Acer, it lowered temps of the drives 5-8 degrees C. I haven't had any issues with performance at all. I stream all of my Blu-Rays, music, and photos to my HTPC via Gigabit wired.

I would highly recommend the unit. You can't build a WHS with a 1 tb drive for cheaper than this cost (assuming you are buying parts). Newegg recently had it on sale for $349. The unit has a PCI-E 1x slot which can be used for video out if you must, or more likely for a Esata controller card to add more storage down the road. The unit also includes 1 esata port that apparently works with certain port multiplying drive racks (I haven't tried it).

The unit is extremely quiet. I have it sitting in my entertainment rack, so I can see the lights (brightness controllable). I can't hear it over my almost silent HTPC.

At some point, I plan to begin replacing the 1 tb black drives with 2 tb green drives to lower heat and noise farther.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I should mention, I use the Sans Digital TR4M with my HP MediaSmart Server. I wouldn't be surprised if it works with the Acer as well. The only downside with the MSS EX470 that I have is that it can't accept more then 4 additional drives via ESata. The EX48X can't port multiply so it is a moot point with that. Don't know if/what the Acer's limitations are regarding this.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have this box and I love it. I got it for $400 with an extra 1Tb drive thrown in. Easy to set up, quiet. Streams compressed HD video files fine, though I haven't tried uncompressed blu-ray rips . . . and I likely never will.

Anyone know of a good mobile device interface for this thing? I know the mediasmart boxes have iStream, I would love to find something similar for my iPod Touch!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeR2 /forum/post/17033339

I have had the Acer Easystore WHS for almost a month now. I left the 1 tb WD green drive as the OS drive

Is this the drive that came with the unit? Mine came with a Hitachi and when it's sitting idle it's at 47C. A bit warm for not doing much. I only have about 20GB loaded on the additional drives right now, I'm still concerned about the temps I'm getting. 41C on the Seagate 1.5tb 5900 rpm and 48C on the Seagate 1.5tb 7400 rpm which I will probably pull out. I figured this drive would get too warm for this small, tight case. But i'm concerned now about the Hitachi.

You reversed your fan? I haven't opened the unit but from what I remember from a picture, there is a large fan on the side of the unit. I assume this is the fan you are talking about? Do you have anything that is monitoring the CPU itself?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeR2 /forum/post/17033339

Newegg recently had it on sale for $349.

Yes, I know. I had added it to my cart when it was $349.00 but didn't place the order for 2 days since I wouldn't be home to accept the order and when I did place the order it came up $389.00. I hadn't print the page and I wasn't 100% sure it was $349.00 so I didn't do anything about it.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullie /forum/post/17036347

Well, I live in Saudi Arabia.. Temperature here reaches 45 C... My Acer H340 CPU Temp reaches 60 C, system 47 C when idling. Will it effect the server?

There was actually a member over on Mediasmartserver.net who lived in Saudi Arabia and documented how to make his WHS cool. The build is similar to the Acer (both WHS)

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...php?f=2&t=4101

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/17036529

There was actually a member over on Mediasmartserver.net who lived in Saudi Arabia and documented how to make his WHS cool. The build is similar to the Acer (both WHS)

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...php?f=2&t=4101

Thanks for the heads up..

I should rethink things over and might install a fan or two.. Because my server seems on fire!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Has anyone done a Server Restore? I'm trying to restore mine and I followed the steps but when it searches for the server it can't find it. It is currently running through a router, do I need to connect the network cable from it directly to the PC.

The reason I'm doing this is when I do the WHS updates there are a couple that keep failng. I figure this would be a good time to test the restore before I load this thing up.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum /forum/post/17037806

Has anyone done a Server Restore? I'm trying to restore mine and I followed the steps but when it searches for the server it can't find it. It is currently running through a router, do I need to connect the network cable from it directly to the PC.

The reason I'm doing this is when I do the WHS updates there are a couple that keep failng. I figure this would be a good time to test the restore before I load this thing up.

I di a server restore a while back on my HP MSS without problem. You should not have to connect the network cable directly to a PC. If you still have problems, post a question over on MediaSmartServer ( http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...wforum.php?f=5 ) as many other members have had success with restore.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ok, I got it going. It appears the directions are wrong. You have to turn the unit off, Press and hold the reset button while you turn the unit on. Wait for the blue Network Icon to appear and proceed.

Note: I can take up to a couple minutes for it to detect the network and the blue network light to come on.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum /forum/post/17035202

Is this the drive that came with the unit? Mine came with a Hitachi and when it's sitting idle it's at 47C. A bit warm for not doing much. I only have about 20GB loaded on the additional drives right now, I'm still concerned about the temps I'm getting. 41C on the Seagate 1.5tb 5900 rpm and 48C on the Seagate 1.5tb 7400 rpm which I will probably pull out. I figured this drive would get too warm for this small, tight case. But i'm concerned now about the Hitachi.

You reversed your fan? I haven't opened the unit but from what I remember from a picture, there is a large fan on the side of the unit. I assume this is the fan you are talking about? Do you have anything that is monitoring the CPU itself?

Yes, the Acer came with the 1 TB WD green drive.

Yes, the large fan on the side of the unit. The is connected to two brackets vie soft rubber pins. The brackets are connected to the frame of the unit with (4) screws. I removed the screws, then removed the brackets from the fan. I then flipped the fan, making sure the orientation would still allow the wire to reach the plug. I connected the fan back to the brackets, then screwed the brackets back into the frame.

That lowered the temp of the drives, as well as almost a 10c drop in processor and system temp. It also keeps the fan running at almost dead silent since the system is kept so much cooler. There is a tab in the console that will show the temp. It is the same tab that allows you to control the LED light brightness. (I can't remember the name of it right now).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts