AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Acer AT3720 LCD TV (37inch, 1366x768, came out in October 2006 in Europe, low Price), so far everything is fine except playing the PS2, would a Iscan Pro enhance my picture (i don't care about lag)? Is it better than the integrated deinterlacer/scaler? I tried a friends Zinwell BLS-3000 and didn't see much of a difference (i would say on par with the internal device), but then again the reviews for the BLS-3000 are not the best, would the iscan pro help? Thanks for your answers and help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Doesn't the Iscan Pro only scale up to 480p? Or was that the Ultra? If so, you would still be using the internal scaler of the display to get up to 768p.

I'm sure there are great prices to be had on the Pro, now that the Iscan HD, HD Plus, and VP series are out (or have themselves been succeeded and replaced). But despite the presumably good price, I doubt you would be getting much for the money. The SIl504 chipset is what I think DVDO formerly used, and I'm sure it was (or is) great. But the scalers which are built into contemporary TVs may have caught up with it.

So if it is limited to 480p, my opinion is that even if it's a deal, only get it if it's to be used with an enhanced def (not HD) TV in another room.

I once got a great deal on a Faroudja NRS DVI scaler which was previously around $4,500. I paid around $700. I kept it for about 6 months before reselling it and swapping back in a DVDO. Maybe that was a bad choice, but I had practical reasons, and I felt that the formerly oh so exclusive Faroudja DcDI which was now being integrated into so many TVs and DVD players was probably not no different. In others words, even if the Iscan Pro and Faroudja NRS were great in their day, maybe the proprietary scaling solutions being integrated nowadays in TVs and DVD players are comparable to or better than those outboard aging solutions. I'm not maligning them, or even addressing the new Iscan and Faroudja solutions.

Lastly, with a new (October 2006) TV, it has to have HDMI inputs, right? Probably several. The Pro, at best, might have DVI output. Isn't DVI limted to 8 bit whereas HDMI can be 10 bit? And do you really want to have to use a DVI to HDMI converter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply...well i have similar thoughts. Reason i ask this is because right now im not really happy how my PS2 looks like on my TV, but i like to play those games and since the tv was kinda cheap i was asking myself if the integrated deintrerlacer is actually any good. Mx Xbox runs in 480p and the TV has to upscale this also, but there it doesn't seem like it's a problem, the colors look nice and overall the pic is good, so i thougth it's the linedoubling that sucks and an iscan pro would help. Well i'm asking for the iscan pro, because it's rather cheap nowadays and i don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to play PS2 games.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.