AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just bought an acer H7531D from newegg the other day and am returning it after two days of use.

I came from an Eiki LC x-986 XGA projector and a samsung 50 inch 720P 4 series plasma...

Let me start from the beginning.....I hate how LCD tv's look. Plasma blows them all out of the water to me. My LCD projector I picked up a year ago for some backyard fun showed none of the problems my LCD tv's had and even though the projector was only XGA and a 600:1 contrast ratio, it certainly did its job well and had 3300 lumens so bright. My Plasma has inky deep blacks but wasn't big enough for me or portable.

I watch movies only...no tv or anything and always in 100% darkness. I sit between 8-12 feet from whatever picture I use. I have an 90 inch screen for the projector.

I bought the H7531D in hopes of going HD from my old XGA and went full 1080P even though 720 suits me fine. for $900 it seemed a steal with auto iris and good specs....

Unboxed it and played around with the settings to calibrate it and drove it with my samsung BD-1600 player and a macbook pro over DVI to hdmi

First impressions is the projector is quiet and gets hot..it is lightweight and the blue acer logo is too bright....well built and compact....

first off I noticed right away even in bright mode it was too dim for my liking on a 90 inch screen. full dark room. I am coming from a plasma and a 3300 lumen projector. The picture was just dark enough I had to strain..even with bright mode on and auto iris off..... 2000 lumens is too low for me I am guessing. It is bright..but not bright enough for me and certainly useless in daytime.

Second problem is the thing has a 6 segment color wheel....and at 3X speed.

Rainbow effect is noticeable and gives me a headache. ..my plasma and lcd projector dont make me feel this sick.... I guess I need an LCD or LCos or FAST dlp projector. 3x is not fast enough for me with this unit.

The 1080P res is GREAT but I think it is useless unless I had a bigger screen than 90 inches and it was brighter. I should have gone with 720P for 90 inches

The blacks are good but not great. my 600:1 old projector was bad at blacks but this is only a few steps up...not leaps and bounds by any means. my plasma of course blows them both out of the water.

Auto iris is badly implemented on this projector IMHO. I have seen one open and know what it uses for the iris and its cheap...I turn it off...it slowly fades and isn't perfect at guessing. if it only helps 50% of the time for my movies and distracts me the other 50% I do not think it is worth it. Some people may like it but I do not.

In conclusion I really should have bought a used high end unit. Something a few years old with a fast color wheel..720P res...more lumens...and possibly not DLP...I always wanted to buy an old high end 3 panel DLP as I have NO RBE with any of those units but they cost a lot.

I would mark it 7/10 and for $900 a decent deal but I should have gone cheaper or gone all the way with better.

Please feel free to ask me any questions..this was very quick....

I do not know what I will replace it with or if they will let me refund and swap for another. I will keep you updated...Back to using the Eiki and Samsung

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
an update: Newegg wont take it back even with 2 hours on the bulb. I am now looking to trade someone for an LCD projector. My eyes just cant handle DLP

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sorry for your loss... try something with 4x color wheel.. Sometimes because of darker environments you'll notice rainbows more too. See if you can get a higher color wheel speed projector with a brighter output.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21
Sorry for your loss... try something with 4x color wheel.. Sometimes because of darker environments you'll notice rainbows more too. See if you can get a higher color wheel speed projector with a brighter output.
4x won't make that much of a difference if the problem is bad with a 3x wheel. Might want to consider LCD or LCOS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They told me with projectors, it is a No go.

and I am staying away from DLP...I think I like the picture of Lcos and LCD projectors more. just opinion

720P LCos or LCD projector with 2500 lumens or more is what I need.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Your right, it's non-returnable, says replacement only.

I see that you have 3 options

1) Keep trying to find someone in these forums that wants that projector, but it might be hard.

2) Try to sell it on videogon and/or Ebay for around $500 to $800. You can get an Epson LCD projector for around $600, so even if you sold it for $600, you could then just use the money to buy an LCD projector, I think $495 is the price it would sell super fast, but you can get more if you are patient.

3) Call Newegg back again and ask them if you can get store credit with a restock penalty. They might not do it, but they might, tell them there is a product defect with it and you are seeing all kinds of rainbow artifacts. If they still deny you, call Acer directly and see if Acer will swap it for one of their LCD units or give you store credit at the Acer store, who knows, they just might. The Acer LCD's are ok, not the best, but not bad.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Trade you a Sayno Z4 and a new lamp for the acer 7531d. What kind of screen do you have and what settings? For daytime viewing you need a black diamond screen. Blacks are good on the projector and is bright. The noise in the image will go away in about 70 hours when the lamp calms down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts