AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recieved my Acer k11 a couple of days ago and I have been playing around with it and I have to say that I really like it a lot. Ill talk about some of the features and the goods and bads about the projector. I bought the projector from tigerdirect for $420.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6y3Pp86Cio

Throw: Right now the image I am projecting is around 96" across 16:9. I had to put the projector pretty far to get this size image in a 16:9 format. Right around 15 to 16 feet. This is also me guesstimating....Ill get actual values later tonight.

Aspect ratio: This come standard with a 4:3 aspect ratio but it easily handles and converts to 16:9 beautifully. The inputs I am using is my xbox 360 slim set to 720p, my computer which is also set to 720p, and my comcast hd converter with is also set to 720p.

Brightness and color: I still have to play with my settings a lot but out of the box I really liked the image that this projector projected, The colors seems pretty rich and the contract is really nice. I have a 50" 1080p Panasonic Plasma tv so my standards are pretty high when it comes to brightness. We also keep our living room relatively dark regardless what tv is in there but with the light on one can still see a very watchable image.

Quality and projected image: The image that the projector projects is very very nice.

From the computer the majority of the movies I play are either compressed avi or 720p mkv files and both are seen very well. I thought I was going to have a hard time with 720p because of the low resolution of the projector but hd movies are surprisingly clear with this projector.

From the xbox 360 I found that using the 720p option produced the best picture. When putting it is 1080p mode it just shrunk the image. So the only game I play is call of duty black ops. So if any of you play this game than you know that in online multiplayer it is very important to have a good clear image when shooting things from far away. When I got the projector the first day I didnt have my projector screen so I had to use my ruffled wall and I could barely shoot anyone. I was really scared. But once I got my projector screen everything is good again. I can still shoot people from long distances. they are easy to see and I dont have to strain. (well who strains from a 96" image lol)

From my comcast hd digital box everything in hd content looks great and the standard definition stuff that is just digital is watchable. I didnt even like the way these channels looked on my 50" plasma. But all words are easy to read and everything looks very clear.

The physical projector:When I first got the projector I was worried that is was going to absolutely suck because of how tiny this thing was. It easily fits in the palm of my hand. Because I havent mounted it on the ceiling yet it was difficult at first to get it mounted where I wanted because my hdmi cable was too heavy for it lol. But the actual projector looks nice.

Fan noise: There were reviews that the fan noise was terrible and im here to say that it really isnt too bad at all. But I do play things really loud so it may just not bug me....I can take a video of the noise if you guys would like.

Motion Blur: There is none whatsoever. I can easily play call of duty and if you have played this game than you know that this is a really important aspect.

Conclusion: I do like this projector very much and I am glad that I got it. So far it meets my needs very well. Cons: I guess the projector cold be a little brighter but so far its not really a problem. and its led so I wont be changing the bulb for a very long time.

If you guys have any question or want to see more pictures let me know. I do plan on putting more up. Unfortunately these first ones are from my droid x so the quality doesn't do the picture justice.

Some of these pictures are blurry but it is because they are playing the game and they didn't want to pause for a picture. also the aspect ratio looks changed but it is because im playing black ops in split screen mode and for some reason it cuts the sides even on the plasma too. These are also with one ambient light on. Not sure of the wattage

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was really interested in this small acer projector. If you dont need more than 2,5m diagonal 200 lumens should be enough bright, LED should last "forever", its very portable - can you give me info about acer power supply weight - should be more than 0,5kg? Also it is very cheap in Europe - you can get it for 300 which is great price considering you guys in the US usually have way lower prices - but not in this case!

Anyways I bought different non LED acer H5360 for 450 -a higher total cost alternative considering bulb lasts 4000 hours (for me its like 3-4 years), but it has better picture quality although most tv programs here are still 720x576 and k11 would be better for TV viewing (maybe not bright enough for daylight viewing, but high gain reflective screens could make it viewable in daylight).

Some questions:

Can you take picture in complete darkness using a real camera (not phone)? What is the diagonal of your screen?

Do you use it on economy mode - is it alot dimmer?

Does it have keystone adjustments (vertical and horizontal)?

Did you try to play some movies out of usb stick - all the movies work?

Thanx!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The keystone adjustment is actually automatic which is really cool but there is also a manual keystone adjustment.

I dont even think this projector has an economy mode. At a bulb rating of 30,000 hours who really needs one. Ive looked through the menus and havent found anything.

I probably wont ever use the usb port and now that it is mounted i dont want to mess up the adjustments. But this is taken from acers site

"With the USB reader, the projector enables the Presentation To Go function which provides the full access of multimedia contents, including videos (MJPEG, MPEG-4 SP, H263, H264, AVI, MOV, 3gp), audios (PCM, ADPCM, WMA, OGG, MP3) and photos (JPEG, BMP)."

I remeasured the screen and it is 93 inches diagonal ill try to take some pics tonight. with a better camera. not great though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Benjimatt,

I bought the K11 1 month ago and i have to agree
, the quality is pretty descent! (actualy i love it!). I use it with PS3 and PC (1280x1024 text and web pages are really readable!).

Anyway i think you could help me with some settings i lost in the service menu!, can you please give me the basic values you have:

PC Red Offset :

PC Green Offset :

PC Blue Offset :

Red Gain :

Green Gain :

Blue Gain :

Video Red Offset :

Video Blue Offset :

How to enter in service menu:

On the box: Push Off.

Push "On" then "left" "left" and "Menu" (be carreful don't be idiot as i was ^^)

TY!.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Acer K11 LED projector just arrived.

In the right / top-right zone there is some light leakage.

Leakage comes from the lens, not from other holes in the projector.

Photos show a situation slightly worse than it really appears. Slightly, i repeat.

I don't think it's normal. Should i return it?

photos 1 and 2 : Projector is at 2 meters(6 feet) from a white wall. 2 different exposure values.

photo 3 : Projector is at minimum distance : 80cm (2,5 feet) from a white wall.

Photos taken with a Kodak Z1275.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello benji,

i used the start screen because the problem can be better seen in dark scenes.

And because this is an easy test that everybody can do.

look at the projection screen : the left side is dark grey ; the right side is shifted to red/yellow.

There is a sort of big spot of light invading the right side,

and a smaller spot near the down-right zone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by morx999
hello benji,

i used the start screen because the problem can be better seen in dark scenes.

And because this is an easy test that everybody can do.

look at the projection screen : the left side is dark grey ; the right side is shifted to red/yellow.

There is a sort of big spot of light invading the right side,

and a smaller spot near the down-right zone.
ok i see ill go ahead and check it out tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzbabu
thx benjimatt, very helpful. i wish you have small clip to show while the window shades are open. what did you do for audio, is it connected to home theater?

how is the fan noise?
yeah i have the audio going through my cheap surround sound reciever. and the hdmi cables to a hdmi switcher. Ill make another video and see if i can open the shades for you and let you hear the fan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

Just in case here my best settings after 1000hrs of use:

PC Red Offset : 535

PC Green Offset : 552

PC Blue Offset : 581

Red Gain : 1416

Green Gain : 1474

Blue Gain : 1534

Video Red Offset : 512

Video Blue Offset : 512

Mode User settings

1280x960

Lum: 50

Contrast: 50

temp: 1

degamma: 1

All test & settings are welcome
(Spyder3pro calibration for exemple)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am interested in purchasing a high gain screen for my projection setup. The brighter image will be an improvement and I assume colors will look more vibrant as well but what worries me is the black levels..I assume the black levels will suffer since the dark areas will also be brighter..Can you do a comparison of just a black screen with the high gain and no gain? I think it won't be an issue unless you are looking at a all black scene such as a movie space scene..I'm no expert just seems logical.. A very high gain grey screen might be the solution, good blacks and a gain for the whites..

1 - 20 of 153 Posts