AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this little HTPC from Newegg where they don't accept returns on PC's. Bummer. I have a wired cable internet connection. HDMI to my 42" Sony LCD. Hulu streamed video is very choppy. Not acceptable. I updated flash and Nvidia drivers. No help. Called Acer Tech support and they classify this as non standard issue and send you to pay support for a "nominal charge". You get there and it costs $129.95 for 90 minutes of help and no guarantee.

Any suggestions on changes I can make? Thanks

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Hulu is still Flash based. Make sure you have the latest Flash, kill unnecessary processes, up the video memory. I have the 3610 and Hulu is smooth. It might be because the 3700 uses the ion2 chipset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies.

In full screen playback on Hulu, CPU usage is in the 60-70% range. It is 20-35% with the minimized screen and still has some frame loss.

Speedtest.net shows download at 30.71 Mb/s and says it is above average.

In the Nvidia control panel, it says dedicated video memory is 512mb DDR3

I changed the resolution to 720p 1280 x 720 and it did not improve frame loss (stuttering).

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush /forum/post/19592419

Thanks for your replies.

In full screen playback on Hulu, CPU usage is in the 60-70% range. It is 20-35% with the minimized screen and still has some frame loss.

Speedtest.net shows download at 30.71 Mb/s and says it is above average.

In the Nvidia control panel, it says dedicated video memory is 512mb DDR3

I changed the resolution to 720p 1280 x 720 and it did not improve frame loss (stuttering).

u should just give up on this now. I am in the exact situation. Bought from newegg and no way to return. I have tried every possible way to tweak the 3700 but Hulu remains choppy. The problem lies in the design of the ION2 chipset which is actually a step backward from the ION1 (that's why your 3610 was fine). This is well documented on online reviews. I guess I should have done more research before I just assumed the "next generation" is better. Youtube and other flash plays fine as long as there is no overlaying flash content such as subtitle or player interface etc so I suspect Hulu is no go due to its overlaying logos. I wasted hours/days on this so hopefully you won't have to do the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I solved my Acer Revo 3700 problem with choppy video by selling it on Ebay for $295. I was honest when someone asked if there were any performance problems. After it was listed on Ebay, Newegg agreed to take it back with a $50 restocking fee and a $300 credit. not refund. I had to ask to have their NO decision reviewed by a supervisor.

Now, I think I will build my own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush
I solved my Acer Revo 3700 problem with choppy video by selling it on Ebay for $295. I was honest when someone asked if there were any performance problems. After it was listed on Ebay, Newegg agreed to take it back with a $50 restocking fee and a $300 credit. not refund. I had to ask to have their NO decision reviewed by a supervisor.

Now, I think I will build my own.
ahaha nice. Ya that would be the way to do it. But I was too lazy to sell/mail it etc so Imma just leave it be and use it for casual computing stuff until I get a real HTPC... maybe the new zino with quad cpu? building one takes a lot of effort... used to do that before but now too old and not enough time sigh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.