AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What USB HDTV tuners are people using with their Revo 1600's?

I'm thinking about picking up a Revo 1600 to use as a bedroom HTPC for light-duty DVR tasks (be able to rewind a few minutes to catch the weather on the morning news, and record a few episodes of the Mentalist or Bones to watch before bed as well as some PBS kids shows for my daughter in the morning) and also to view the occasional Netflix or Hulu downloaded movie or TV show. I'll be hooking it up via HDMI to my 32" 1366x768 Toshiba LCD flat panel. All audio will be through the TV's speakers, TV will be OTA (we have DirecTV and don't foresee ever signing up for cable so QAM isn't important nor do I foresee acquiring a 1080p display for this HTPC at any point in the foreseeable future and we don't need Blu-Ray capability for the bedroom.

I've only seen one post here discussing what tuner to use with a Revo and that person was using a Diamond ATI TV Wonder 650 and recommended either that one or the Hauppage 1950 because they have hardware acceleration. Somebody over on the Fatwallet bargain-hunter's website said he is using a cheapo $27 K-World USB tuner that worked fine with Win 7 WMC, but he has a Revo 3610, with the dual core CPU and that might make a difference.

Any thoughts or suggestions on a tuner to use?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
85 people have read this post and no responses?

Not a single one of those 85 people owns a Revo 1600 and uses it with an HDTV tuner?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, I don't have a REVO but I do have an X1200 and I use the Hauppauge 950Q and it works flawlessly. It takes a second or two to dial in the signal during channel changes but nothing too annoying (I'm using it with Verizon FiOS QAM for now). I've heard the KWorld one works pretty well, too, but I don't have any experience with it.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I built an atom/ion dual core rather than buy a Revo. Regardless, I am using an HD Homerun with my atom/ion to watch locals via QAM on Comcast. Works well enough.

·
Registered
494 Posts
950Q owner here w/ Win7. I have no problems. Then again I'm on a C2D 2.5ghz

I have a friend that ALSO has the 950Q, on the Revo dual core Atom (with Win7). It worked well for him when it was properly installed but for some reason it was always dropping the drivers after a reboot which was causing him a headache.

Lol, not helpful eh?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts