AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the Revo RL100 HTPC and have a couple questions. Seems pretty slick for getting the full windows media center experience on the TV. My only beef is no tv tuner. My questions are:

1. Anybody have some experience with this device? I'm not an audio/videophile but want to be able to watch my internet content and OTA HD programming through a single interface and also be able to record/replay it, etc. Seems like a good solution....

2. Is there a good dual channel USB HDTV tuner out there that will work well with this device and Windows media center? Any personal experiences are welcome. I want to be able to watch one station while recording another.

Brice

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am not aware of any dual channel USB tuners. I am not sure if Hauppauge's DCR-2650 supports OTA.

HDHomeRun (using ethernet) seems to be a better bet. Otherwise, I would suggest you just get 2 USB tuners. It is better because you can use 2 separate antenna if you want. It is cheaper too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is a good point. The homerunhd could sit really anywhere in the house where there is a cable connection from the antenna right? Can I use a power-line type network connection to hardwire it to my HTPC to get the dual tuner signal to the HTPC (acer revo w- windows media center)?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Power-line would be too slow. Why would you be considering power-line network? If a USB tuner works for you. A networked tuner sitting next to your HTPC must work for you too? Worse case you need to add a network switch such that your HTPC can continue to use its ethernet port for internet access.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a RL100 to mostly run netflix but I'm returning it.

It cannot scale the video up to 1920x1080. The CPUs are pegged and the video is dropping frames all over the place.

If I watch the video in a native size window (about 1/2 screen) then it runs smooth and the video is fine.

But that is just not acceptable so I'm returning it.

I did buy a siliconDust dual-tuner that sits on the network so any PC can use it but I haven't hooked that up yet.

Anyone have a recommendation on a better PC. I'm looking for a slim, quiet Win7 PC. Seems like most PC maunfacturers have left this market. EMachines isn't making their custe little box anymore and Dell EOLed the Zino.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.