Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 3 Sapphire LEs that I will be using for the front L/C/R. I will be using a front projection screen, where the left and right speakers will be to the sides of the screen at the normal listening height. The center channel speaker will be on a short stand so that the top of the speaker is just under the screen. The top of the speaker will between 23" - 25" above the floor and tilted up to fire at the listening position. This will place the bottom of the speaker only 6.5" - 8.5" off the floor. The floor is carpeted.

What I am concerned about is that the close proximity to the floor may cause a chesty sound and a loss of some clarity or at the least, changing the timbre and causing a mismatch to the left and right speakers.

Does anyone have experience with the Sapphires placed this close to the floor? Maybe this is not considered close - floorstanders have their woofers closer than this, but not their midranges.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the Sapphires Gregory, but don't have them so close to the ground, so I can only speculate. My feeling is that, by having them somewhat raised off the carpet and tilted upward, they should do fine. I'd just carefully tilt it so that the tweeter is aimed at your listening position. Also, as far as your front left and right speakers, I have them angled in toward the listening position more than other speakers I've owned, so you might want to experiment here too.

And, most of all, congratulations on your new speakers. I will state that they're pretty dang great. I own some nice equipment, imo, but my ACI's are the favorite part of my setup. And, besides, I'll always enjoy doing business with someone like Mike, whom I consider to be one of the really good guys in audio.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
danbry39,

Thanks! I agree, these are great speakers and Mike is great, as well. I've owned my fronts for over a year now and I am completely enjoying them. I'm really looking forward to the "secret", to be announced shortly. I'm pulling for some type of diffuse surround speaker. Not sure I want direct radiators......if I did I would get the on-wall Emeralds. I'm going to mount them high on the side walls. Do you think they would be very localizable mounted this way?

Do you have any experience with the on-wall Emeralds?

Thanks again,

Greg

·
Registered
512 Posts
As a matter of fact, I have them and use them as my surrounds. I do listen mostly to music on my system, but have to tell you I was truly impressed by the on-wall ACI's. I do hear that a lot of people prefer dipoles, etc. for movies and direct radiators for music, but they work excellently in my system for both and, like other ACI products, are very solidly built and really nice looking. They really keep up the ACI name.

I sure hope you're right about what Mike's secret is though, as that's pretty much what I guessed. It would make my day to win one of the shirts. I'd proudly wear it into all the audio shops around town.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.