AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just reached the digital age and I’m not yet sure that it’s a good thing. I lack the knowledge base to be able to make a few decisions that are now upon me now and I was hoping that some of you could lend me your expertise until I can come to speed with this new technology?

I teach U.S. History with a heavy emphasis on how powerful an influence film is within our culture and how it shapes our belief systems of what our past was like. For all these years my home theater set-up was not much to talk about and I thought that it was about time for someone who is so wrapped up in film to try to enjoy it at home as much as I do going to the local cinema. I have just purchased a brand new Loewe Aconda 38 in metallic silver (at $3700.00, which I hope was a good deal, and am waiting for my DVD player to arrive this Friday. That player is a Arcam FMJ DV27 which I got not only for the film like display it delivered in all my auditions of it but also the amazing quality of its sound reproduction which I feel is a huge step forward compare to my Sony DVP-S7700.

Now the problem or lack of knowledge that I face is that both have the ability to Progressive scan or as some of you refer the process is line doubling.

Here are my questions:

1. Which of the Progressive Scanning units do I use the Loewe Aconda or the Arcam FMJ DV27 and why? Or is this one of those problems that can only be solved by looking at how well each unit does and decide which is the best?

2. I think that if I use the Loewe Aconda I would then turn off the progressive scanning in the Arcam FMJ DV27 and use it in interlace mode? What if I decide to use the Arcam in Progressive mode how do I turn off the Loewe Aconda? Would I made the connection to what is listed in the set-up menu as the “DVD C-Video 480p†and having done this when playing the Arcam through this connection the Loewe Aconda would then disable its own Progressive scanning unit?

3. I’m waiting for my AVIA dvd to arrive to do the in-home adjustments. Would it be better (seeing the amount of money now in the system) to get an ISF technician to come to the house to calibrate the set?

4. Any advice or tweaks that you would know about either of these units would be appreciated.

I know that this is a busy time of the year for all of us so I would like to say “THANK YOU†to everyone and anyone for your time and effort in this matter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
JB,

Congratulations on your new arrivals! I've had my eye on the Aconda for some time. Was your purchase a floor model or closeout?? I haggled relentlessly to get my local dealer down to $3800 for the graphite model, which lists for $500 less than the metallic silver. You got a great deal! By the way--how is the metallic silver re reflectivity? I saw the piano black and it reflected light to a distracting level.

Anyway, the Aconda's internal scaler is terrific, but the Arcam's is reportedly excellent also. I would suggest doing a comparison to see which performs better. If you find they are close, then I would suggest trying to connect your DVD player to one of the s-video inputs to see how well that works. Unlike most sets, the Aconda's internal scaler works on all inputs. Understand the s-video connection should result in a step-down in PQ, but a recent Perfect Vision review of the Aconda reported very little decline in PQ via s-video. If that arrangement works well for you, it will free up the component video inputs for HD tuner connection.

Let me know how you make out.

USF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UTSoxFan,

The TV was new out of the box (no out of the crate) delivered to the house. I have a Ideal-Lume light far behind the TV so I don't have any type of reflective problem and even light from the fireplace does nothing off the surface but it sure is the best looking piece of furniture that I owe.

Jerry

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Loewe product but have to assume that at the price it must have at least 2 component inputs. If that's true then you're in luck. The Arcam has 2 component outputs, one is interlaced (let the Loewe do the work) and the other is progressive (let the Arcam do the work).

You might have a lipsynch problem on one of the outputs since the Arcam adjusts this based on which port you tell "setup" you will be using but since you are trying to establish what will look best the lipsynch issue should not matter. Once you find which way you like best, run setup and make the appropriate changes to adjust the lipsych issue.

Just borrow a good component cable from a friend and buy the same type for you (apples-to-apples) and you're set to go. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rafaelp
I'm not familiar with the Loewe product but have to assume that at the price it must have at least 2 component inputs. If that's true then you're in luck. The Arcam has 2 component outputs, one is interlaced (let the Loewe do the work) and the other is progressive (let the Arcam do the work).

You might have a lipsynch problem on one of the outputs since the Arcam adjusts this based on which port you tell "setup" you will be using but since you are trying to establish what will look best the lipsynch issue should not matter. Once you find which way you like best, run setup and make the appropriate changes to adjust the lipsych issue.

Just borrow a good component cable from a friend and buy the same type for you (apples-to-apples) and you're set to go. Let us know what you find.
I just ordered a Loewe. According to reviews, it has only one component input. That's basically the only knock I've read on the Loewe, but it's annoying.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorgens
why not do the component switching with the HT receiver ? (if there is one of course)
This is probably 2nd order, but many say that there is a slight deterioriation in picture going through the receiver, rather than going straight to the TV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.