AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a sub to complement my Jamo S-606-HCS-3 speaker set

( http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ey_id=10894595 )

I'm considering Acoustic Audio HD-SUB10 or HD-SUB12 partially based on appearance to match the wood finish of the Jamos, but also based on budget and opinions read in this forum and elsewhere.

This is for my living room and with the adjoining dinning room it come out to be 14 x 40 feet with almost 8-1/2' ceilings . The speakers are roughly in the center of one side of this rectangle on a wall facing the shorter dimension. And I have hardwood floors.

This will be more for music than HT and the Jamos have side facing 8" woofers which already provide for some pretty decent bass. So I don't know if i need the 12" sub or not.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
No offense, but the first word that jumps out at me when I checked into this company was "scam".

I had never heard of them so I went to their website . It merely shows 4 pictures associated to the categories of products they sell. None of the pictures is a link that takes you to the actual products though. That's suspicious to me, but maybe the website is not functioning right now due to some technical issue.

So I clicked on Customer Support so I could report the problem to them. However, that page only shows 3 options:

Click Here To Submit Your Warranty For Acoustic Audio
Click Here To Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Click Here To Submit Your Pictures Using Our Products in Use For A Chance To Win Free Stuff!

Does it seem odd to you that the most pertinent link you want when you're trying to reach customer service -- which would be how to contact customer service -- is conspicuously missing?

Maybe there's a reason no one but myself has replied on your thread. Something doesn't seem right about these guys.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I went ahead and got a HD-SUB12 for a decent price on ebay and I have to say that it sounds really good from my experience so far. That is...compared to my two previous 10" Onkyo HTIB subs. http://www.thedeepdiscount.com/p-374...subwoofer.aspx

I currently have it on my living room system along side my Jamo S-606-HCS-3 speaker system and Onkyo HT-SR540 receiver. I can say that it packs plenty of punch and sounds great for HT purposes. Its also not bad with music as well, however I have to say that the sound is better geared towards HT. So I'm going to move it to my upstairs system dedicated to HT and match it up with my Polk Monitor IIs. So the bottom line is...I would recommend them for HT, but for music, I'll look for something a little tighter and will probably look into something like the Energy s10.3 or Lava LSP10 (probably should start another thread on this).

Granted there are risks inherent in going with a no name factory direct brand sold mostly by a single distributor, but they're a good sub for this price point and they also seem to have a decent following on the bluray forum ( http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/...rs-thread.html )...so I'm optimistic and will keep people posted.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/20966300

No offense, but the first word that jumps out at me when I checked into this company was "scam".

I had never heard of them so I went to their website . It merely shows 4 pictures associated to the categories of products they sell. None of the pictures is a link that takes you to the actual products though. That's suspicious to me, but maybe the website is not functioning right now due to some technical issue.

So I clicked on Customer Support so I could report the problem to them. However, that page only shows 3 options:

Click Here To Submit Your Warranty For Acoustic Audio
Click Here To Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Click Here To Submit Your Pictures Using Our Products in Use For A Chance To Win Free Stuff!

Does it seem odd to you that the most pertinent link you want when you're trying to reach customer service -- which would be how to contact customer service -- is conspicuously missing?

Maybe there's a reason no one but myself has replied on your thread. Something doesn't seem right about these guys.

Before passing judgement on someone and/or a company that you know nothing about, how about going over and reading through this thread as ctbrown posted.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/...rs-thread.html

A LOT of companies start out as internet only, SVS, HSU, etc, etc... They all have to start somewhere, and if starting out by selling at lower than average prices, then so be it. There's plenty, and I mean plenty of proof in that link above to show that this company and their subs stack up rather well against the big boys out there.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/21227907

Before passing judgement on someone and/or a company that you know nothing about, how about going over and reading through this thread as ctbrown posted.

Before passing judgement on someone that you know nothing about, how about getting your facts straight? For instance, how do you know whether or not I've already read that particular thread? I have, but have you? If so, you'd clearly see that AA does have some of the hallmarks of a white van scam. For example, .5" MDF cabinets, no damping material, no internal bracing, amps that cooked at an alarming rate and no customer support or service is pretty typical of the breed. All of those elements are clearly documented in that very thread. You did notice them, didn't you?

AA's website is still as bad as it ever was, so no change there. Do you really think it's a good idea to buy from a company that doesn't even list their own products on their own website? Makes me a bit suspicious, that's for sure.

AA will never be confused with SVS or HSU. The latter companies came to market with products sporting obvious quality, and were designed by people with established backgrounds in the business. AA subs, by contrast, are made in an anonymous factory -- on the same line as other nondescript subs (you did see my other post regarding that very thing, right?) -- with no discernible pedigree, so there's really no similarity.

Common sense dictates one should be leery. They may actually turn out to be another valid player in the field -- maybe not, who knows -- but either way it's obviously caveat emptor at this point.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21228135

Before passing judgement on someone that you know nothing about, how about getting your facts straight? For instance, how do you know whether or not I've already read that particular thread? I have, but have you? If so, you'd clearly see that AA does have some of the hallmarks of a white van scam. For example, .5" MDF cabinets, no damping material, no internal bracing, amps that cooked at an alarming rate and no customer support or service is pretty typical of the breed. All of those elements are clearly documented in that very thread. You did notice them, didn't you?

AA's website is still as bad as it ever was, so no change there. Do you really think it's a good idea to buy from a company that doesn't even list their own products on their own website? Makes me a bit suspicious, that's for sure.

AA will never be confused with SVS or HSU. The latter companies came to market with products sporting obvious quality, and were designed by people with established backgrounds in the business. AA subs, by contrast, are made in an anonymous factory -- on the same line as other nondescript subs (you did see my other post regarding that very thing, right?) -- with no discernible pedigree, so there's really no similarity.

Common sense dictates one should be leery. They may actually turn out to be another valid player in the field -- maybe not, who knows -- but either way it's obviously caveat emptor at this point.

I've skimmed thought that thread, and yes, they are not without fault, but who isn't?

I haven't heard anything about the amps "cooking", and I have only read a few instances of bad or no customer service, then again those were in very early posts back in 2009. All of the other customer service and tech line calls I read about were very good on the other hand.

I'm not saying they're perfect, but I wouldn't exactly refer to them as "white van" anymore either.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/21228293

I've skimmed thought that thread, and yes, they are not without fault, but who isn't?

I haven't heard anything about the amps "cooking", and I have only read a few instances of bad or no customer service, then again those were in very early posts back in 2009. All of the other customer service and tech line calls I read about were very good on the other hand.

I'm not saying they're perfect, but I wouldn't exactly refer to them as "white van" anymore either.

AA had a huge amp issue, with a surprising number of people suffering because of it. It appeared to be mostly related to one batch, but that constituted a significant number of subs. AA did practically nothing about it, for the few people that could actually get a hold of them anyway. Deep Discount -- who's the sole distributor -- did try to help out some of the people in the beginning, but they weren't all that great either. To be fair, they probably got caught in the middle and had to cut their loses at some point.

AA subs actually got pulled from the market for several months while they tried to source another manufacturer for the amps. When they did come back it was a different design too, not just a new supplier. Thus far it seems as though the new amps are better, but it might take a little longer to make a true determination.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21228523

AA had a huge amp issue, with a surprising number of people suffering because of it. It appeared to be mostly related to one batch, but that constituted a significant number of subs. AA did practically nothing about it, for the few people that could actually get a hold of them anyway. Deep Discount -- who's the sole distributor -- did try to help out some of the people in the beginning, but they weren't all that great either. To be fair, they probably got caught in the middle and had to cut their loses at some point.

AA subs actually got pulled from the market for several months while they tried to source another manufacturer for the amps. When they did come back it was a different design too, not just a new supplier. Thus far it seems as though the new amps are better, but it might take a little longer to make a true determination.

Well I stand corrected, you DO know a thing or two about the company. Obviously more than me.

Of course, you do realize that when a company has something go bad, that's what everyone talks about and remembers the most, and creates threads about. Big or small, those few stories about those issues always seem to outweigh the good bits. That's the way it has always been with anything. However, I tend to look at both ends of the spectrum and not go off of first impressions. I'm willing to give some people/companies a second chance.

What I have gathered from that thread on Blu-Ray.com is that there's a lot more good than bad, especially within the last couple of years. There is a ton of praise for Acoustic Audio's subs now, not to mention a rather large following. They definitely are a great bang for the buck as I found out last night for the first time hearing one. I'm not going to go on about a whole praise and review here, but I did make a post on that thread this morning about it.

Anyway Jim, thanks for clearing some things up and I apologize for coming in here and blurting out the way I did.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/21232499

What I have gathered from that thread on Blu-Ray.com is that there's a lot more good than bad, especially within the last couple of years. There is a ton of praise for Acoustic Audio's subs now, not to mention a rather large following. They definitely are a great bang for the buck as I found out last night for the first time hearing one. I'm not going to go on about a whole praise and review here, but I did make a post on that thread this morning about it.

Getting it for 50 bucks sure helps, eh?

I almost picked up the HD SUB10 at one point myself, but it would have been strictly to review...

I maintain a thread dedicated to budget subwoofers . It's generated far more interest and PM's than I anticipated, so I've taken it upon myself to pick up some of the lesser know ones and test them myself. Since AA is only really known on blu-ray.com I was going to try the SUB10 and post my findings here. The rear port turned out to be a problem though, because I have to place the sub very close to the wall in order to prevent it from getting stepped on. I feared that might emasculate it's output, so I opted to skip it instead.

I still have my reservations about the quality of those subs, but on blu-ray the folks who haven't had issues sure seem to like them. I hope yours works out well - you certainly got it for an excellent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic /forum/post/21232499

Anyway Jim, thanks for clearing some things up and I apologize for coming in here and blurting out the way I did.

No worries - it's all good.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21233971

Getting it for 50 bucks sure helps, eh?

I almost picked up the HD SUB10 at one point myself, but it would have been strictly to review...

I maintain a thread dedicated to budget subwoofers . It's generated far more interest and PM's than I anticipated, so I've taken it upon myself to pick up some of the lesser know ones and test them myself. Since AA is only really known on blu-ray.com I was going to try the SUB10 and post my findings here. The rear port turned out to be a problem though, because I have to place the sub very close to the wall in order to prevent it from getting stepped on. I feared that might emasculate it's output, so I opted to skip it instead.

I still have my reservations about the quality of those subs, but on blu-ray the folks who haven't had issues sure seem to like them. I hope yours works out well - you certainly got it for an excellent price.

No worries - it's all good.

I think you should make arrangements to try and fit one of these subs in your system for a short term. You might be pleasantly surprised at its performance. It's quite the impressive little sub.

Last night my girlfriend, my brother and myself were up until 3am watching "Fast Five" and "Fast & Furious IV", in that particular order... LOL Don't ask me why. Anyway, I played "Five" fairly loud and this little sub was doing an excellent job of keeping up with the music and action. Then with "IV", we had to play it rather quiet because it was after 1am when we started the movie. Still, at this low volume level, the sub was doing a great job of providing low-end oomph and detail without disturbing the neighbors.

Right now as I'm typing this post, my girlfriend and brother are playing "BoarderLands" on the PS3 at annoyingly loud volumes and the impact of the explosions and gun blasts are tight and punchy. The floor and couch is shaking violently and somehow, there's two cats sleeping right next to the damn thing! How, I don't know! LOL

BTW, I'm gonna go check out that budget sub thread of yours in a few minutes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts