AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if that's a proper title for this, but what I'm planning to do is two painting-like elements on the wall. I will place them in front of front speakers on the wall in a home theater. The idea is to decorate the wall with something nice and at the same time reduce first acoustic reflections (and maybe make the acoustics better overall).

The size for these things would probably be 1.22m x 1.1m or less (to match the front video screen). The thickness might be about 4cm. I'm planning to put a fibreglass acoustical element there, or perhaps foam plastic. That's where I need some help. What would be good material there? The canvas or cloth on the surface will be some nice artistic thing, simple in nature.

I have a sample from Ecophon (located here in Finland), this material: ecophon-co-uk/templates/eco_SystemPage1____8762.asp [change those "-" to ".", I didn't have 5 posts and couldn't post the url], it seems quite appropriate though I didn't check any prices yet (if it's too much I should probably get something else).

Has someone done something like this before? Any pictures or tips?

The canvases might have to be put a bit higher than where the front speakers are because it of the looks. Will this spoil the idea of acoustical improvement - and will this even have any positive effect on the sound in the first place? My room will be something like 3x3m or 4x4m, maybe 4x5m - actually I'm hoping that this solution would work ok in different rooms, not necessarily custom made to one exact setup.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Any good transmissive fabric covering will be fine for absorbers. You don't want to paint over it or otherwise make it a hard surface because then it will reflect HF and defeat part of the purpose of the absorber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. There will be no painting, on the surface there will be moderately thick fabric with some colours on it but no oil paint or anything like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.