AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a challenging project to create the best acoustical environment in a open floor plan SW Florida home. A rendering of the room is attached to illustrate the placement of equipment as well as the obstacles I need to overcome.

In short, the main equipment is as follows: BK Components Reference 70 processor, Sim Audio Titan Moon 5ch Amp, JVC RS2 projector (ceiling mounted), Revel Ultima Studio Front speakers, Revel center, Revel Sub.

Layout dictates that projector screen (electric drop down) is located on a corner, stone fireplace with front speakers flanking the screen. Very live - sound jumps off the stone. Center is below the screen. Sub is to the right of the RF speaker.

Floor is all travertine stone. Ceilings are 8' sheetrock. To make matters worse, room is open to 1) lanai, 2) dining room, 3) entry hall, 4) kitchen. The lanai does have a full wall of sliding glass doors that can be closed - but are normally left open. The dining room has three full height windows in front of the table.

I have corner bass traps available that I will most likely place behind the front speakers and the corner between the kitchen and dining room. I don't see a good way to stop the 1st level reflections in this room, which I'm guessing will arrive at completely different times because of the open wall to the lanai.

Not show in the drawing are the surround speakers that are on the wall where the kitchen begins. Any professional suggestions are much appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
4,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag666  /t/1522204/acoustic-design-suggestions-sought-for-very-difficult-room-sound-control#post_24472315

I have a challenging project to create the best acoustical environment in a open floor plan SW Florida home. A rendering of the room is attached to illustrate the placement of equipment as well as the obstacles I need to overcome.

In short, the main equipment is as follows: BK Components Reference 70 processor, Sim Audio Titan Moon 5ch Amp, JVC RS2 projector (ceiling mounted), Revel Ultima Studio Front speakers, Revel center, Revel Sub.

Layout dictates that projector screen (electric drop down) is located on a corner, stone fireplace with front speakers flanking the screen. Very live - sound jumps off the stone. Center is below the screen. Sub is to the right of the RF speaker.

Floor is all travertine stone. Ceilings are 8' sheetrock. To make matters worse, room is open to 1) lanai, 2) dining room, 3) entry hall, 4) kitchen. The lanai does have a full wall of sliding glass doors that can be closed - but are normally left open. The dining room has three full height windows in front of the table.

I have corner bass traps available that I will most likely place behind the front speakers and the corner between the kitchen and dining room. I don't see a good way to stop the 1st level reflections in this room, which I'm guessing will arrive at completely different times because of the open wall to the lanai.

Not show in the drawing are the surround speakers that are on the wall where the kitchen begins. Any professional suggestions are much appreciated.

Jim

Probably not the best place to post this as this is the dedicated theater and construction thread. I would move this over to the speaker forum for better results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.