AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was searchng for some sound absortive foam for my center speaker enclosure. I found that there are very many varities of this stuff. Which is best suited for my applcation? Could I just use some left over Linacoustic material? Thanks in advance for your replies, Pete

· Registered
335 Posts
I had a similar question when I was installing. According to Aerial Accoustics, I had too options when installing my LR3s in the wall.

1. Make the enclosure just big enough to house the speakers. Leave no more than 1/4" of space and use 1/4" spikes on the bottom.

2. Leave more room, but line the enclosure with at least 1" of sound absorbant material. Your linaccoustic will work here.

Either way, you don't want too much spacing between the speaker and the insulation or wall.

I ended up using a combination. I built my enclosure with under 1/4" of clearance, and I lined the back of the enclosure with left over linaccoustic. The resulting sound is pretty close to what I got with the speakers on stands. So close, that it was REALLY hard to tell the difference. With the speakers in the wall, my wife is happy, and since the sound is still awesome, I'm happy.

Note, one thing that's great about Aerial Accoustics. When you call the main line, the owner and chief designer answers the phone. I had several other questions, and he was more than happy the answer them. Great company. Awesome speakers!

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Godavego, thanks for the reply. I thought I'd use the linacoustic all around the enclosure. As for the Aerials, I think they may be my next speaker system. Thanks, Pete

· Registered
5,605 Posts
I have seen companies like Halfer use a combination of acoustic foam and fiberfill. www.partsexpress.com has "Acousta-stuff" which they claim out-performs fiberfill.

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hometheaterguy,

thanks for the link, the foam is what I was thinking of, and at a reasonable price but it looks like I'd have to use the fill in addition to the foam to get the best results. So does the fill just get crammed around the speaker within the enclosure? sounds a bit messy...but if it works, I guess I'd try it and see the results. The combo of fill and foam isn't that much compared to $1k center speaker, so I'm probably going to order it, if no one else has any other suggestions. Thanks, Pete

· Registered
5,605 Posts
Anytime Pete. Go to www.hafler.com then go to Products, then TRM8.1 and you will see a cut away view of the speaker cabinet that has foam and acousta-stuff. I used this picture to add faom and fiber fill to my cabinets. I used spray glue to secure the foam to all sides, front, top and bottem. I didn't use glue with the acosuta-stuff. I just placed it around the mid-bass magnet. I left a good amount of air space in the enclosure.

· Registered
1,596 Posts
Pete, are you taking about putting a standard speaker into an opening in your wall? I think hometheaterguy is taking about an actual speaker cabinet with exposed voice coil/magnet, etc. Two different things.

I'm planning to line the openings in my wall for my L/C/R speakers with Insulshield on all interior surfaces. My wall openings are just slightly larger that the speakers themselves, and were made with 3/4" MDF boxes attached to the front wall studs.

-D

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bad,

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Yes, I'm talking about putting a whole speaker into an enclosure. After reading hometheaterguy's last post I realized I may have caused a misunderstanding. I was hoping to use left over linacoustic on the back and sides, and slide the speaker into the enclosure. I wasn't sure if I neeed special foam for the sides. I guess I'll try the linacoustic and go from there. Sorry for the confusion, htguy :)...Pete

· Registered
5,605 Posts
Not a problem.

· Registered
3,639 Posts
Linacoustic will work fine for lining the speaker box. I've heard that plain insulation can work as well. Just be sure not to get it near any ports or the air moving in and out will cause fiberglass particles to float through the room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.