AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader first time poster here. By reading this forum the design of my dedicated HT has changed more times than Liza's husbands:D . Now it's getting down to crunch time (slab being poured on Tuesday). The room dimensions will be 20*14*8.

I would love to buy acoustic paneling and like the look of it, but because of the funds situation I'm making my own. Trying hard not get sucked down that money pit. I saw previous threads about people making them and also about wall carpeting.

My idea is to making a beveled 3'*4' frame out of 1"*3" and glueing it to a 1/8 backing. glue carpet(since I'm going to have a lot of old carpet after the renovation) to the inside and cover the whole thing with grill cloth or something similar. The carpet thickness can be as thick as the frame so about 1/2" pile should fit. Total cost of each shouldn't be more then $10.

What do you think? Does my idea float or sink? I would love to get some feedback on this.

Ryan

· Registered
631 Posts
Beats the landfill, but keep in mind that carpet is not the optimal material. A lot of people use carpet for the walls. Not in the manner you are, but it is the same principal. It should work and it should sound. PS good idea.

· Registered
306 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by "beveled panels". If these panels go on the walls, I read that carpeting is not as good at blocking reflected sound as InsulShield or other materials. Therefore if you are covering the walls with carpet, you probably need another material beneath it to help reduce unwanted reflections. I think some people have used a low density fiber board (sort of like a bullentin board) or ceiling tiles on the walls to cut down unwanted sound relections.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.