AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Why not DIY? Its incredibly simple. You buy duct board and wrap them in fabric for simple ones. Others have made much thicker panels that absorb more freq's. Brian

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning on building it myself... buying these, or similar panels, and wrapping/framing them with somthing. I was inquiring about these particular panels - the performance, cost, where to buy - or other specific options. What's "duct board"?

Anyone with some usable feedback?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It is a rigid, porous weave of fiberglass fibers on a reinforced foil backing.

Here is an article with a picture.

BTW,dctboard is falling out of favor with AC systems due to it's porous surface being a polace that "stuff" can collect. It has other advantages, though.

Best regards,

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Western Macarthur in Oakland (2855 Mandela Pkwy) carries the Owens Corning Select Sound line and the JM Linacoustic Permacoate rolls. Ask for Gerald (510/836-0600).

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Duct board is what they typically build return air plenums out of. Its also basically what the professional panel companies use. It comes in various thicknesses. Check the pages of the acoutic panel companies for the sound coefficients on their panels and you should achieve similar results assuming you use the same thicknesses. They have an extra process though where they coat the edges in a hardener that keeps them from denting or damaging easily.

Now if you want REAL acoustical panels try some of the recipes cooked up on this forum and in other places by the likes of Ted White. Just do a search for DIY Acoustic Panels.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.