AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a condo and sound obviously travels through my walls to the adjacent condo.

I didn't realize how much until last week when my neighbor stopped by to tell me that I was playing my music too loud. To be honest I have since I have purchased most of my new equipment in the last 3 weeks or so.

It bugs me because I can't fully utilize my setup. I understand that I'm in a condo and this is just a by product, but I'm optimistic that I can sound deaden the room so I can at least play my HT at an adequate volume.

I've been looking at some DIY acoustic panels and I think this is the way to go.

Can anyone help me with some recommendations to what/or how many panels I should use to be for maximum effectiveness?

I'm also looking for a good DIY write up with pictures and materials.

My Setup:

Harmon Kardon AVR146

Fronts: Paradigm Mini Monitor

Center: Paradigm CC170

Rears: Paradigm Atoms

Sub: Synergy Sub-12

Room Size: ~ 14' x 12' (12' viewing/seating distance)

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
Acoustic panels (generically speaking) do not help in sound control. They are to help create a better sound enviroment for your room. Tuning a room is the best way to describe it.

Using the search engine, you should find many threads on "sound control" since this topic comes up monthly

Use advance search, title search only, limit search words to one or two.

Here's one of dozens of threads

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=sound

I can tell you that it's not an easy project and costs a fair amount of money (even assuming it's a DIY project).

The most cost effective/common solutions

Headphones

Turn the sound down

In terms of bass, add TT/buttkickers to you furniture to give you the feel of bass, so you can turn the sub down. Bass is what travels the most and hardest to "contain"

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Nope, you have it wrong. Acoustic panels are designed to dampen sound and make the music sound better in the room. It might have some minor effect on sound propagation out of the room, but I doubt it. More likely, it will dampen the reverberations in the room so that you will turn up the volume a bit and the neighbors will hear exactly what they always heard.

What you are looking for is acoustic isolation. This is a much more involved process, often involving things such as another layer of drywall on the walls/ceiling, and likely another layer of floor. Check out the green glue site for construction ideas.

Arranging a few panels isn't going to help.

My advice: invest in a good pair of headphones, and try to track your neighbors schedule so you can blast it while he's away from home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts