AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this remote, and am having several issues with it, but I'll start with the first one for now.

My television model is not in the software. I have an LG 50PY3DF. The closest model in the software is the 50PY3D. Many functions work, but the main difference is that my TV has three HDMI inputs (HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3). The model from the software has only HDMI1 and HDMI2. So I'm unable to set the input to HDMI3 for any activities.

I've tried several other models from the list of similar model numbers it brings up. Some have HDMI1 and HDMI2. Most have no HDMI inputs. None have HDMI3.

Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
If you have a one-for-all or cable remote, I can post codes for those you can teach to your xsight. Alternately, you can buy a harmony 200 for $20 or RCA RCRP05B for $15 and use it to teach the missing codes.

An immediate solution for HDMI3 would be to simply use HDMI2 followed by an InputNext command.

Also, it's better to post in the main xsight thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/20900263

If you have a one-for-all or cable remote, I can post codes for those you can teach to your xsight. Alternately, you can buy a harmony 200 for $20 or RCA RCRP05B for $15 and use it to teach the missing codes.

An immediate solution for HDMI3 would be to simply use HDMI2 followed by an InputNext command.

Also, it's better to post in the main xsight thread.

Sorry, I didn't see a main Xsight thread.

What's a "one-for-all or cable remote"? I currently have the AARX18G, and the original remotes for each device.

I also don't have the RF device yet, in case that makes a difference anywhere. I want to make sure this thing is going to work before I add it.

Thanks.

EDIT: For reference, the original remote does not have separate buttons for each input. It has an "Input" button, and a "TV Input" button (not even sure what the latter does to be honest).

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Just use the learning feature to learn any extra keys from the original remote to any key or a new soft key you can label.

You can also create macros and assign them to a soft key.

Thats what I did for extra input selection, since my TV uses the Input key followed by a number to select one of them - that key sequence can be created in a macro using the online website setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer /forum/post/20900363

Just use the learning feature to learn any extra keys from the original remote to any key or a new soft key you can label.

You can also create macros and assign them to a soft key.

Thats what I did for extra input selection, since my TV uses the Input key followed by a number to select one of them - that key sequence can be created in a macro using the online website setup.

I've thought about that, but my original remote doesn't have an HDMI3 button. Just an input button, which already seems to work.

My newest problem is the cable box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4240HDC). It doesn't have separate Power On and Power Off buttons. Just Power. When I use the activity to turn off all devices, it only works if I was using the cable box (already on). If I'm on another activity and the box is already off, using the activity to turn off all devices actually turns in on instead. This is also an issue when changing activities.

Example: All devices are off.

I press activity "Cable"

TV on (good)

Cable box on (good)

TV to HDMI1 (good)

I decide to watch a movie, and press activity "Roku".

TV stays on (good)

TV to HDMI3 (good)

Cable box stays on (should turn off; not in use)

I decide to watch cable again, and press activity "Cable".

TV stays on (good)

TV to HDMI1 (good)

Cable box turns off (bad; obviously it needs to be on to watch cable)

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
The remotes in my post have HDMI3 which you can teach the xsight. If you had a remote that came with your cable box, it can possibly be used for teaching HDMI3 via special codes I can give you. I realize none of your remotes have an HDMI3 button. Tell me what model cable remote you have and I can give you further instructions. If it turns out your cable remote won't do it, you can get one of the cheap ones I posted to do it. It will come in handy for teaching more discrete commands in the future.

I generally leave cable box power out of my macros because of what you described.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/20900755

The remotes in my post have HDMI3 which you can teach the xsight. If you had a remote that came with your cable box, it can possibly be used for teaching HDMI3 via special codes I can give you. I realize none of your remotes have an HDMI3 button. Tell me what model cable remote you have and I can give you further instructions. If it turns out your cable remote won't do it, you can get one of the cheap ones I posted to do it. It will come in handy for teaching more discrete commands in the future.

I generally leave cable box power out of my macros because of what you described.

The remote for my cable box doesn't have a model number on it, but here's a link to the support page for it: http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=180 - It's named 'Cox Digital 7820' by the cable provider. Maybe that's all the model number you need right there.....?

·
Registered
527 Posts
The Cox 7820 can send any signal that the LG TV will respond to. However, the manual for the 50PY3DF lists IR codes for a variety of functions, but HDMI3 isn't on the list. LG's manuals sometimes fail to list all the codes, so it is worth a try anyway.

Here's a procedure to test for HDMI3. First let's send the signal that should send Vol+, just to make sure that the basic procedure is working correctly.

Using setup code TV 0178, point the remote at the TV, and tap Setup. Then enter 00183, holding the 3. That should make the volume go up.

The same procedure using 00046 should select HDMI1. 00044 is HDMI2, and (let's hope!) 00081 is HDMI3.

You can assign these 5 digit EFCs to buttons on the 7820 if you want to. Instructions in the Wiki linked in mdavej's signature.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I just leave the cable/DVR box power out of the activity macro and let it have control only of the power button in that activity.

I create macros for power on and off separately and have the activity macros only select the devices, so I can switch between devices and activities easily.

For selections such as HDMI3, just make a simple macro and put it as a softkey under your TV device.

Probably like input key followed by a number key.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove
The Cox 7820 can send any signal that the LG TV will respond to. However, the manual for the 50PY3DF lists IR codes for a variety of functions, but HDMI3 isn't on the list. LG's manuals sometimes fail to list all the codes, so it is worth a try anyway.

Here's a procedure to test for HDMI3. First let's send the signal that should send Vol+, just to make sure that the basic procedure is working correctly.

Using setup code TV 0178, point the remote at the TV, and tap Setup. Then enter 00183, holding the 3. That should make the volume go up.

The same procedure using 00046 should select HDMI1. 00044 is HDMI2, and (let's hope!) 00081 is HDMI3.

You can assign these 5 digit EFCs to buttons on the 7820 if you want to. Instructions in the Wiki linked in mdavej's signature.
The part highlighted in red is what I'm not understanding... Can you describe that?

On another note, does anyone else use this remote? Have you had issues with the signal "missing"? When cycling through cable channels, it seems like three or four times out of ten, it "misses" and doesn't change the channel. Sometimes two or three times in a row. Same problem with changing activities. Sometimes pressing the Cable activity will do everything else right, but it won't turn the TV on. Then it will the next few times. It seems to randomly miss with a lot of key clicks, and it's happening pretty frequently

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
For the red part, press TV, hold setup for 2 blinks then enter that code (2 blinks for success ).

My xsight never misses. Could be your box, bad aim, interference or low batteries. Are you holding the remote still long enough for the macros to finish?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove

Thanks for the followup, mdavej. I did the tests. HDMI1 and HDMI2 worked perfectly. HDMI3... no dice
The IR sensor on the front of the TV blinks when I enter the code. I knows it has just been told to do something. But it doesn't seem to be able to figure out what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej
For the red part, press TV, hold setup for 2 blinks then enter that code (2 blinks for success ).

My xsight never misses. Could be your box, bad aim, interference or low batteries. Are you holding the remote still long enough for the macros to finish?
I hold the remote still, in unobstructed sight of the cable box when channel surfing, but it still misses frequently. Same thing when swapping activities. I steadily hold it right at the cluster of devices. Sometimes they all turn on/off as they should... but nearly half the time, it misses a device. Not always the same one, either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would the RF extender help with the missing issues? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to keep this thing. Right now I'm leaning towards no, because of the missing. I'm not sure which other remote to go with. I'm coming off a Harmony 900 that was an absolute nightmare. If the URC is more of a hassle than using 7 remotes, it kind of defeats the purpose.

I noticed Amazon doesn't even carry the RF extender anymore. Only a couple other online merchants have it, and I'm not familiar with them, which could create return issues if this remote doesn't work out.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Yes, RF will definitely give consistent results. I've seen the RF bases at some B&M's like best buy, Frys and HH Gregg if you want to give them a try. I've bought and sold a few RF bases quite cheaply on ebay.

Here are all the discrete input codes I could find for recent LG tv's plus a few more you may find useful. It could be that some are simply labeled differently on your model TV. So just try them all and see if any selects HDMI3. If none of those are what you need, you can always try every possible code. There are only 255. It takes me about 15 minutes to try that many. Just tap setup 00001 and see what happens, then tap setup 00002, etc. up to 00255. There is a small risk of running across some service menu or reset code, so be prepared for that. I haven't seen anything like that with LG, but the possibility exists.

DSCRT ON00172
DSCRT OFF00176
DSCRT TV00110
DSCRT AV100231
DSCRT AV200109
DSCRT COMP100034
DSCRT COMP200108
DSCRT RGB-PC00112
DSCRT HDMI100046
DSCRT HDMI200044
DSCRT HDMI300081
DSCRT HDMI400239
DSCRT RATIO 4:300134
DSCRT RATIO 16:900138
DSCRT RATIO ZOOM00098

EDIT: Sometimes LG puts all their codes in the manual or at least in a list you can download from their site. If you can find such a list, post back and we can help convert them to codes you can enter into your Cox remote.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What type of RF extender would I need for this remote? The one for this remote ( http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Resea...5473041&sr=8-6 ) looks to be permanently out of stock.

I do have the "Blasters" from my Harmony 900; will they work? The Harmony 900 was the most frustrating, useless thing I've ever bought, so those parts are available.

I'll give the RF a try and see if it gets any better, but it's looking pretty grim for this remote. I still need a way to control a PS3 with it, but the main issue is still the missing. I literally have to press Channel Up 10 times to go up 5 channels. It misses as many as five times in a row. It frequently doesn't power off the TV when I tell it to shut everything off. Etc etc.

This was supposed to be less frustrating that using 6 remotes

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Did any of the codes I posted work?

That's the right RF base. I use a $15 nyko dongle and sony DVD codes for PS3 control. You do realize there is a help facility on this remote like harmony, right?

Your issues still sound like classic IR interference to me. These remotes send a good strong signal and send it instantly. I'd turn down the backlight on the tv, relocate the cable box, or put masking tape on the IR window of the cable box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/20924520

Did any of the codes I posted work?

That's the right RF base. I use a $15 nyko dongle and sony DVD codes for PS3 control. You do realize there is a help facility on this remote like harmony, right?

Your issues still sound like classic IR interference to me. These remotes send a good strong signal and send it instantly. I'd turn down the backlight on the tv, relocate the cable box, or put masking tape on the IR window of the cable box.

The 00081 code seems to be the one, but the TV just doesn't want to recognize it. It may be an issue with the TV. As mentioned, the TV recognizes that something has happened; the IR sensor blinks, it knows it has received a command, but does nothing. It may be a manufacturer oversight with this TV. Maybe there never was any working direct-to-HDMI3 function. I have the same issue with the Harmony 900 as well. It has the HDMI3 function in the Logitech software. But it does the same thing. The IR sensor blinks, and nothing happens. At any rate, the HDMI>Input>Input macro in the Activity has essentially solved this issue. It gets to HDMI3 in one press of a button. It may not technically be going directly to HDMI3 on that signal, but it still works. It appears to be an issue with the TV. But the workaround macro is successful.

I know there is a help button on this remote as well, but I'm not sure what you're getting at. I realize that when the remote misses turning off the TV when I tell it to power off all devices, I can press Assist, then Power On/Off, then use the slider to navigate to the page with TV on it, then press TV, then use the slider to navigate to the page with the power button on it, then press Power, and the TV will tun off. Obviously that defeats the purpose of the URC. The best I can think of would be to add a device power soft buttons to the screen of every activity so I can clean up after all the misses manually, but that again defeats the purpose of the URC and all the macros that have been programmed if it's just going to keep missing.

As far as the cable box goes, I've already moved it twice. I've even given some slack on the cables and held the box out away from everything else, and stood there with the cable box in one hand and the remote in the other, changing channels and moving around to as far as the cables will let me go. The miss rate is unreal. Typically about 40%. Apparently about the same rate that it misses turning a device on or off when changing activities. Though the Harmony 900 had a million and one problems, making it unusable, it has recently made me think back a bit to something it did do right. It never missed. Even before I set up the RF blasters and was just using IR. All the same devices in the same physical setup.

Anyway, I thank you guys for your help so far, and I'm still open to more ideas, but it's starting to look like this Xsight was a bad buy. It fixed a lot of the problems that were driving me crazy with the Harmony 900, but has introduced some equally irritating problems. I may hop over to Best Buy tomorrow and see if I can find a RF extender that will work. If anyone knows of something they carry that will work, let me know. My 30 days on this remote are winding down, so I guess I need to get on the RF and see if it fixes the missing, so I can box the remote back up if not.

Oh, and from what I've read about RF devices for the PS3 (including the Nyko), they don't have the ability to turn the system on and off, which would of course require another type of remote on top of the Xsight, like the PS3 controller. Is this true? Sadly, turning the PS3 on and off was one of the few things the Harmony 900 did well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It seems to me that you've seen two problems.

1) No discrete has been found for HDMI3. But as pointed out some time ago in this thread, LG's published list of IR commands for your TV doesn't show a IR command for HDMI3, and you've used the Cox remote to try all the likely suspects. No reason to attach any blame to the XSight for this issue. Blame LG instead.

2) Misses on Power On/Off. May I suggest (I don't have any experience with the Xsight, so I don't know how to do this) trying to send the power signal separately from an activity ? If an isolated Power signal doesn't work correctly, but it does work with the Cox remote, then there is something wrong with the Xsight. If the isolated signal does work, then perhaps the timing or order of the signals in the sequence sent by the activity is incorrect. Similarly, is the missing of channels associated with a single tap of the button, or does it happen when holding down the Ch button to scan through the channels?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove /forum/post/20926094

It seems to me that you've seen two problems.

1) No discrete has been found for HDMI3. But as pointed out some time ago in this thread, LG's published list of IR commands for your TV doesn't show a IR command for HDMI3, and you've used the Cox remote to try all the likely suspects. No reason to attach any blame to the XSight for this issue. Blame LG instead.

2) Misses on Power On/Off. May I suggest (I don't have any experience with the Xsight, so I don't know how to do this) trying to send the power signal separately from an activity ? If an isolated Power signal doesn't work correctly, but it does work with the Cox remote, then there is something wrong with the Xsight. If the isolated signal does work, then perhaps the timing or order of the signals in the sequence sent by the activity is incorrect. Similarly, is the missing of channels associated with a single tap of the button, or does it happen when holding down the Ch button to scan through the channels?

The missing occurs with single taps. I honestly can't tell if it's missing while holding down the channel up/down button for the cable box, or volume up/down for the receiver, etc. Happens too fast.

I was able to track down a refurbished (at full price
) Xsight RF extender at an electronics place across town. Went there first thing this morning and grabbed it. I'll work on it a bit, and see if I can get it to control the PS3 as well if possible. I don't know if it can be done, and if so, how. Will update later with results.

Oh, mdavej, I found your post in a search mentioning PS3 control being possible with the Logitech PS3 adapter sold separately for the Harmony remotes. I have that device; bought it with the Harmony 900. If you have a newbie-friendly procedure for making that happen, I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure what to do with it, myself. It's just a small little RF extender-type thing with nothing more than a Logitech logo and green LED on top, and a single red button on the bottom.

Oh, and as far as the Cox remote goes, I haven't even programmed it to work with the TV yet. I just got this cable box the day before I got the Xsight. So right now it doesn't control anything but the cable box.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Shawn, if you can point me to that post of mine you found about the logitech ps3 adapter I'll see what I can do to simplify. I recently ran across THIS one-for-all PS3 adapter which you could teach your remote from the included remote. It's bluetooth like the logitech and does on/off according to the manual at that link. I have that remote as well and really like it. Looks like a good cheap option if you can find one on this side of the pond.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.