AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to upgrade a small media room (11 x 12 x 8) with some new equipment. I have budgeted around $500 for this upgrade. Which uprade would you guys recommend first? The sub i'm using is about 10 year olds, MTX PSW101B 100 watt 12". I have it in a corner as there is almost no other option in such a small space. I like bass to sound tight and detailed so I have the gain level about a 1/4 of the way up, any higher and it starts to sound "boomy". The room is carpted and is enclosed square shape. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Room treatments can go a long way in improving sound. But, they could easily eat up your whole budget of $ 500.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
The sub gets boomy because it's in the corner. You could tailor the bottom end with something inexpensive from Audio Control or Behringer, and still be able to buy some acoustical panels.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
8ft height walls you could get acoustic panels and make superchunks in the front corners. 12 panels 24x48x2" thick and cut them in 17"x17"x24" and stack them in the front 2 corners I did that and it cost me only $170ish for the panels total, havent got them covered yet be it made a huge difference in the "tightness". But with your sub I think the treatments wouldnt make any difference really, get a new sub first and then treatments.

·
Premium Member
14,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 /forum/post/17016092

8ft height walls you could get acoustic panels and make superchunks in the front corners. 12 panels 24x48x2" thick and cut them in 17"x17"x24" and stack them in the front 2 corners I did that and it cost me only $170ish for the panels total, havent got them covered yet be it made a huge difference in the "tightness".

Agreed completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 /forum/post/17016092

But with your sub I think the treatments wouldnt make any difference really, get a new sub first and then treatments.

Room treatments, (including bass traps) are only effective to about 80 Hz, and then only if they're really thick.) Most 4" to 6" traps are only effective to 100 Hz or so. Even the superchunks traps don't do much below 80 Hz.* Nonetheless, they will be effective in the *harmonics* of the subwoofer frequencies, regardless of the sub used to generate those frequencies.

In any event, they would be equally effective for his existing sub as they would for any upgraded sub.

*In order to get effective absorption at 25 to 30 Hz, you would need an absorptive thickness of about 12 FEET or more.
http://www.acousticsciences.com/articles/db1191.htm

Or,... you would need a resonator tuned to the specific frequency of interest. At these frequencies, we're talking a *very* big resonator.

While a subwoofer upgrade may be beneficial for th OP in terms of output, extension and distortion, any bass traps he might install will have similar effects on his current system or an upgraded system.

Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.