AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - I have construction underway for my basement home theater and am planning to place some of the bookshelf speakers in walls with the drywall cutout. Is there an elegant way to cover the opening with a DIY panel to cover the opening over the speaker? Examples or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi Guys - I have construction underway for my basement home theater and am planning to place some of the bookshelf speakers in walls with the drywall cutout. Is there an elegant way to cover the opening with a DIY panel to cover the opening over the speaker? Examples or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Here's something that worked for me DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap! great for surrounds but for lcr I would just use black speaker cloth

·
Registered
144 Posts
My theater is lined with panels and my speakers are behind them as you are planning. The panels are made from ~4-1/2" baseboard that are kregs pocket-screwed together with flat angle brackets screwed to the back to brace the corners. The fabric is stapled to the back with a cheap pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight. They are held on with industrial strength Velcro from the local big box store - this sticks VERY well.

A few small panels such as those above the doors are fabric stapled directly to the 2x4 framing, with base cap moulding nailed over it.

Paint the trim first before attaching the fabric.

I popped one panel off the check if I have room for a rear height speaker for adding Atmos speakers.

Reactions: reelss

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My theater is lined with panels and my speakers are behind them as you are planning. The panels are made from ~4-1/2" baseboard kregs pocket screwed together with flat angle brackets screwed to the back to brace the corners. The fabric is stapled to the back with a cheap pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight. They are held on with industrial strength Velcro form the local big box store - this sticks VERY well.

A few small pnales such as those above the doors are fabric stapled directly to the 2x4 framing, with base cap moulding bailed over it.

Paint the trim first before attaching the fabric.

I popped one panel off the check if I have room for a rear height speaker for adding Atmos speakers.
thanks this is very helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts