AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for companies that sell wall coverings, traps, etc., to tame rooms and,, websites to visit, and net retailers to contact.

Many thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
21,358 Posts
If you have a dedicated room and can put Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers on your walls

(search for threads here on this), they're pretty neat!!! But not practical in most environments.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i use a set of eight Acoustic Sciences Co. ( http://www.tubetrap.com/ ) Sound Panels to tame 1st and 2nd reflections in my room and am very pleased. they're 48"x8"x2" thick and come in your choice of trim and panel colors. $400 for the set of 8...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
If you have a dedicated room and can put Michael Green Pressure Zone Controllers on your walls

(search for threads here on this), they're pretty neat!!! But not practical in most environments.
That they are, Steve -- "neat", that is. But, just about all acoustical products that must go IN the room are not practical since they may interfere with the aesthetics and decorative design of the room. However, here's a picture of my audio system listening room showing PZCs on the walls, corners and ceilings. They are much more "flexible" in use than Traps and can either increase or decrease energy in any part of the room that the user desires, which traps cannot do. You can see them at my home page . If you are interested, you can contact MGD toll free at 1-888-766-6886. And, yes, that's real, solid hardwood cherry that the tuning boards are composed of on the PZCs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
having all those boxes in the room doesn't bother you?

·
Registered
21,358 Posts
David, a good question, but one to which the answer is most obvious. If the PZCs bothered Jim or me in our rooms they would have been sold by now. HA!

For me, as I have a dedicated theater room, the PZCs actually are a positive in the look that they add. Folks come in and think they're all more speakers on the wall, and they sort of look nice in my dedicated room environment. Now my wife would veto them big time in our (shall I say her) living room or family room.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You're absolutely right, Steve:

Quote:
If the PZCs bothered Jim or me in our rooms they would have been sold by now. HA!
All the matching natural, hand finished cherry hardwood is quite attractive and, my hardest "critic" (my daughter) actually approves of the PZCs appearance in the room. And, by no means am I anti-"traps". They can be quite effective (and attractive) when setup properly. I have used them in the past. The PZCs just offer a level of acoustical control flexibility that no other acoustical product offers.

And, as you have experienced, the first reaction of people who walk into my room and see the PZCs, their reaction is "Wow, you have a lot of speakers!" :) or they want to know "Where are the wires connecting them?". They do not realize these are passively user controlled acoustical devices -- even after I tell them, they still are a little confused based on what they hear from such a large, enveloping soundstage.

But, I definitely think everyone should investigate all the acoustical room options available and then decide which ones will work best for them. All of the products available vary widely in price also, as well as performance, so that is also a consideration for the buyer/user. Again, Traps are a very viable solution when configured correctly and do not overdampen the room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you mean you're actually thinking of buying such a thing, when you could just build one? Imagine the delight of making a large mess and possibly damaging your self or your home!

Anyhow, I built my own... Like this...

But I think I'll just buy some stuff for the new place once we move; if nothing else, I'm pretty sure I can't get this one out of here without some major de-construction!

So, I'm following the suggestions/links found here for my new solution. Keep 'em coming!

-Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.