AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in an apartment, I have no choice but to have my equipment rack and 43" plasma centered between my front speakers. My living room is 26x13 and I have a long wall set-up, which forces me to have my sofa right against the rear wall. To deal with room reflections I have an ASC (diffusion) matrix panel behind my head and this has helped a great deal with cutting down on the reflections and improving overall imaging with both my 2-channel and HT set-ups. When I use my 2-channel system, I typically throw a small blanket over the TV.

Rather than use a blanket, a seamstress friend has agreed to make a cover for the Plasma to further help with reducing room reflections. I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to insert some type of acoustical foam like Sonex in the cover. Given that I only need one sheet, the Sonex products seem a little too expensive for my needs. Are there any other cost effective options?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts
How about wider range (thicker) panels flanking the plasma? What else is on that front wall to prevent reflections? Have you considered the first reflection points?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
In addition to what Kal recommended, do you happen to have a picture of your setup? Is there open to one side, but windows on another ( a common setup), or is your setup have walls on both sides symmetrical to your setup. HW floors, or carpet?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/0

In addition to what Kal recommended, do you happen to have a picture of your setup? Is there open to one side, but windows on another ( a common setup), or is your setup have walls on both sides symmetrical to your setup. HW floors, or carpet?

Kal - My wife wouldn't leave enough evidence for CSI if I put treatments to the left and right of the plasma.

Jonomega - Have you been in my place?? It's exactly like what you noted,,,three openings as close as 3 feet next to the right speaker and windows approximately 8 feet from the left speaker. The windows have fairly heavy Roman shades and the room is 85% carpeted. I'll post a picture tomorrow. I just have to read up on how to do this.

Not sure if it matters but in the next week or two I expect delivery of Green Mountain Calypso speakers. My amp is a Cayin 100T with KT88's (about 100wpc in ultralinear) with a Rega Apollow on the front end.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyburner /forum/post/0

Kal - My wife wouldn't leave enough evidence for CSI if I put treatments to the left and right of the plasma.

Jonomega - Have you been in my place?? It's exactly like what you noted,,,three openings as close as 3 feet next to the right speaker and windows approximately 8 feet from the left speaker. The windows have fairly heavy Roman shades and the room is 85% carpeted. I'll post a picture tomorrow. I just have to read up on how to do this.

Not sure if it matters but in the next week or two I expect delivery of Green Mountain Calypso speakers. My amp is a Cayin 100T with KT88's (about 100wpc in ultralinear) with a Rega Apollow on the front end.

Just save your image as a jpeg and resize it to 800x600 resolution. Then reply to this thread and while writing your comment, scroll down a little and click "Manage Attachments". Browse your computer and upload the picture, then exit out of the "manage attachments" window and you should be all set!

·
Premium Member
14,789 Posts

Quote:

JNot sure if it matters but in the next week or two I expect delivery of Green Mountain Calypso speakers. My amp is a Cayin 100T with KT88's (about 100wpc in ultralinear) with a Rega Apollow on the front end.

She'll let you put a set of these speakers in the living room, but she'd kill you for a set of acoustic panels?

Craig

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/0

She'll let you put a set of these speakers in the living room, but she'd kill you for a set of acoustic panels?

Craig

Go figure.
She thinks they look OK.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some pictures. At least I hope so. The room is a little different now. I have a small Adona rack to the left of the entertainment center. The main difference is that the plasma is now wall mounted. In addition, the rear speakers are gone (for now). I need smaller to appease she who lives with me.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:

Too bad since that and corner treatments are what you need. You should search out cosmetically-acceptable solutions to that issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

Too bad since that and corner treatments are what you need. You should search out cosmetically-acceptable solutions to that issue.

Kal,

I might be able to get away with the corner treatments after we paint but only the corners by the window. I was hoping that between the the ASC panel behind my head and an acoustic plasma cover that I might have a half assed solution to my problem. I'm more concerned about my 2CH music sessions rather than HT.

MB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.