AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share some recent experiences with creating DIY acoustical panels for my theater. Although still a work in progress, these have made a dramatic difference in the sound. Enjoy!

http://www.begala.net/albums/album28/index.html

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
How did you attach them to the walls?

Did you perceive a difference (better stereo imaging, better speach inteligability, music sounds different, clapping hands doesn't have twangy flutter, etc) ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
mbegala,

Those panels look great! Nice job.

A question about the batting. Is it just the standard poly batting found at the fabric stores? Any particular weight work best (I think you can get it in 4lb, 6lb, etc. weights).

Thanks.

-Gary.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basement Bob - I tried using "impaling clips" but the fiberglass board wasn't dense enough to hold well. I switched to tried and true velcro tape and it worked great. In terms of audio, the stereo imaging was definitely better, as well speach. Interestingly enough (which I wasn't expecting) the bass response was a good bit more even and crisp. I'll be re-running my ETF audio tests once I have the remaining panels up and will share the results.

to6cess - I purchsed the sconces from htmarket.com --- they have a wide variety of designs as well as styles.

Gary - the batting came from Hancock Fabric and I don't recall the exact weight of it. It was marketed as "acoustical" batting and came on a 54" wide roll sold by the yard.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Looks good!

I've also been installing panels the past couple weeks (live in McKinney too).

Definitly an improvement!

Another way to hang them is to use Z-clips or something similiar.

Please post your before and after using ETF once you do it. I've been thinking about buying it so that I could confirm the improvements I am seeing, or tweak things even better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.