AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a new thread because I wouldn't have any idea how to search for this. I already read a bunch of threads that discussed different parts of this (235:1 CH, DIY Screens, Acoustically Transparent Material, etc) but not too much about all of it together.

I will begin shortly to build a dedicated theater in a light controlled room that is 13x18, with seating at 14 ft. I have a 4805 that I would like to use in a 235:1 CH setup. My plan is to use Dazian Acoustically transparent screen material to make a screen that is 46x108. The idea would be to place the center channel behind the screen, but I am unsure of where to place the LF and RF speakers. They are Boston VR965 with the subs built into the sides. Ideally they would go on either side of the screen, but with the subs facing out they would only be about a foot from each side wall. If I move them behind the screen then when I want to watch 16:9 material I lose the acoustically transparency with the screen masking.

Options:

1. Reverse the speakers so the subs face in (problems with LFE?)

2. Move the speakers inside the 16:9 area of the screen (6 feet apart - sound field problems)

3. Move the speakers to the outside edge and hope there isn't muffling from being to close to the wall.

4. Buy new speakers and a dedicated sub (maybe down the road).

5. Open for suggestions

Thanks gang, as always, this place is a wealth of knowledge!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I'm familiar with those Bostons, nice HT speakers. My first attempt to resolve this would be to reverse the speakers. I don't think you'll have any problem at all with this. I hope you're considering Dazian's Coated Celtic Cloth. You also may want to arrange some screen material in front of your mains somehow to help even out your front sound stage. It should be a very nice set-up.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was just thinking about this same speaker issue as I was looking Dazians website. I'll have a separate sub so I'm thinking I'll only have the center channel and sub behind the screen and L/R mains to the side of the screen. The only thing I'm concerned about though is the 11 foot separation between the L/R mains I'd need. I'm planning on a 10 foot wide 2.35 screen.

I ordered a couple samples from Dazian of their coated celtic cloth and the bright screen.

So you think the coated celtic will perform well with a AE900 pj?

Andy

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Andy238,

Assuming you don't have a large HT room and you're not sitting far back, I'd want to put the mains behind a screen this size. It will help prevent gaps in your front sound stage, even out the sound of your front 3, and better localize the sound to your screen.

Masking when changing aspect ratios would help with your picture quality. Perhaps some sort of black acoustically transparent speaker grill cloth would work well so as not to affect your mains. I suggest asking about the available options for this in the speaker forum.

Assuming you have minimized the light colored reflective surfaces throughout your HT room, the CCC should work well with your Pany.

Since the CCC is not totally opaque, here's what I would do to improve picture quality. Stretch black felt the size of your screen behind the CCC so it rests flat on the face of your speakers. Any black material may work as well for this. Then, mark where the drivers will be and cut holes in the black material so the material does block the drivers.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I think I might try to simulate the screen wall without permanently building it to see if I can test putting the LF and RF behind the screen or on either side of it. I would be nervous about adding too many layers of material in front of the speakers and coloring the sound.

The material I plan to use is Dazian but I don't think it is the CCC. I found an example of it on a giant auction site. It is also currently being used by forum member Jeff Hovis - http://europa70.tripod.com//hovisht001.htm for an example of what he did.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time
Andy238,

Assuming you don't have a large HT room and you're not sitting far back, I'd want to put the mains behind a screen this size. It will help prevent gaps in your front sound stage, even out the sound of your front 3, and better localize the sound to your screen.
My HT will be a dedicated 15.5' x 22' totally light controlled room. Seating distance will be around 12' to 13' to the first row. Second row 5' behind that.

Quote:
Masking when changing aspect ratios would help with your picture quality. Perhaps some sort of black acoustically transparent speaker grill cloth would work well so as not to affect your mains. I suggest asking about the available options for this in the speaker forum.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Assuming you have minimized the light colored reflective surfaces throughout your HT room, the CCC should work well with your Pany.

Since the CCC is not totally opaque, here's what I would do to improve picture quality. Stretch black felt the size of your screen behind the CCC so it rests flat on the face of your speakers. Any black material may work as well for this. Then, mark where the drivers will be and cut holes in the black material so the material does block the drivers.
I agree. Putting black GOM or grill cloth behind an acoustically transparent screen is what I've been reading about in the 2.35 CH forum. I think Alan brought that one up.

Can't wait to see the samples I sent for.

Andy

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonp
The material I plan to use is Dazian but I don't think it is the CCC.
I have not used this Dazian or the CCC, but I have been impressed by what I've read here on AVS about the CCC and know nothing about the Dazian. It may work fine for all I know, but I would like to caution you before choosing the Dazian. In my book the CCC is a known performer and if wanting to put speakers behind a screen, I would go with the CCC.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
You're welcome. Yes, the CCC is of course bought from Dazian. I just wish I knew what other Dazian you were considering. I didn't even know Dazian had an acoustically transparent screen other than CCC until you posted.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy238
I agree. Putting black GOM or grill cloth behind an acoustically transparent screen is what I've been reading about in the 2.35 CH forum. I think Alan brought that one up.
Don't put grill cloth behind the screen, put black fleece.

You are obsorbing sound back there as well as light.

My perf screen review;

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2001/0108.html

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Max,

Great write-up. Thanks for the info, I will add it to my collection. I am glad that your outcome was favorable as I feel like 2:35:1 Perf screen is the way that I wan to go.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to beat this topic into submission I have another question. Could I put my L/R speakers within the 16X9 panel of a 2.35:1 screen. If the screen is about 8.5 feet wide in 2.35 that makes it 6.5 feet wide in 1.78 meaning the speakers would be 6 feet apart. This sounds too close to create a believable soundstage.

By doing this I can eliminate the worry of acoustically transparent masking.

·
Registered
861 Posts
'Believable soundstage' is a two channel concept.

The only 'soundstage' requirement is that the sonic cues match the source of the visual cues.

Yes you can what you are advocating - it will be an experiment and see.

Be aware there are numerous scenes where the sonic image is outside the frame of the visual image; For exampleT2, where the husband is knifed by the wife's metallic arm - the sonic *thwack*occurs solely in the right channel - the dramatic impact however is visually off screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.