AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very hopeful that you guys will talk me out of depression. I just spent $3k on a Da-Lite Tensioned Electrol 20340LS acoustically transparent screen (106" diagonal). My theater isn't complete yet (and, perhaps importantly to this post, the wall behind the screen is still white but will be painted flat black). I mounted the screen and projector (Optoma UHD60) to test spacing, focus length, etc and I am not happy at all. Even with the room pitch black, I can see the acoustic dots on the screen while watching a movie. I'm starting to wonder why I invested in 4K when the picture looks like a comic book newspaper print. If it's relevant, my front row is about 10 feet from the screen and my second row is about 15 feet.

Will painting the wall behind the screen flat black make these dots disappear? Is there anything that can be done to salvage this purchase? I'm fairly certain they won't take it back and I'm starting to regret the acoustic transparency.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,752 Posts
Having a blacked out area at rear cannot hurt, but unless the screen is positioned so that it's surface is almost flush against such a blacked out surface, it won't solve the situation where the perforations are visible due to their own size and pattern.

If you can even consider painting the rear wall area behind the Screen Black, it would seem that you should have been able to consider a Fixed Screen AT approach, and there are virtually invisible AT options that would not be giving you a case of the Red Arse.

Customer satisfaction is important to most Vendors, and if your not at all happy....and any pre-stated return window hasn't been reached, you SHOULD return it. You might have to pay freight, but that's a small penalty compared to $3k of visual distress. Be firm...be adamant...but above all else,do some research because at the price point your buying in AT at 106" for, you should get what you expect,not an unpleasant surprise.

That said, some people with 20/10 vision will see even the smallest of screen artifacts (weaving - perforations)from 10'.

Question? Is a Retractable AT screen absolutely necessary?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the Da-lite perforated screens for home use. Their perforations are just too large. I'm guessing you can see the perforations at your 15 foot seats? Did a dealer recommend this? The Stewart perforated models are much better but at 10 feet the perforations might still be noticeable. Usually 11 feet or closer I would suggest a woven screen instead of perforated one. Painting the wall black will reduce the reflections off the wall will improve contrast and picture quality since some light goes through the perforations and is reflected off the wall and comes back through the perforations reducing contrast.

I don't have a solution for your situation except to change the screen. Can you move your speakers? Then you could change the screen material and it wouldn't be too expensive. I would contact the dealer and Da-lite directly to try and resolve this and see if it can be returned. I think selling this model for you application was misleading.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Is this with real content? I know they'd be noticeable with a full white screen or even solid color scenes like a sky, but you can see them in mixed content? What IS your eyesight (not joking)...other than scooting back, I guess your only other option would be to trade it for something with less noticeable perforation.

I'd try to see one in person next time prior to buying...I hate learning lessons the hard way, but I never forget that lesson!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts