AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

HI all.

Looking to create a small home cinema room in a house recently purchased room will be approx. 3x3m 2.4h if that makes any difference.

My worry is noise, my last home had the surround sound system located in the room away from the next door neighbour,s so I could turn as loud as I liked with no worry of being a pain.

The house I recently bought unfortunately only has the opportunity to create a the TV room next to the next door neighbours, which I assume is only single skin brick work with a skim of black mortar.

So my question, what is the likelihood that I am going to become “a noisy neighbour” and if so what are my options in sound proofing/reduction of the adjoining wall, without doing over the top.

Had a look at the Ikoustic website, and the Genie Systems etc but the options seem to be vast and costly.

Many thanks, look forward to reading any comments.

Regards

Cwm

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,420 Posts
Another good resource of articles is Soundproofingcompany.com

First question is can you give up the space to build a decoupled wall in front of the brick and plaster wall? 3-6 inches depending on design.

Second, what is the construction of the floor and ceiling as sound can flank around via those pathways?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi and thanks for the reply.

The house is a gut out & hack off all walls off and start again. So no problem losing 6" space off the adjoining wall if this helps reduction in noise. The floor is floor boards and the ceiling lathe/plaster, which could come down or be framed below and reboarded to create false ceiling.

Thanks for the link, will have to have a good read.

Regards

Cwm

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,420 Posts
does that brick wall run from basement to attic as a partition wall between units? Are you sure it is a shared wall? Was the adjoining house built at the same time with a shared wall or are there actually two walls side by side, one for each house? Your best hope is that there is an airgap between the two walls.

I will admit I'm not familiar with that particular style of building so take my comments accordingly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The brickwork runs from the ground floor all the way to roof level.

Houses were built at same time, so will be a mirror of one another.

The House is typical of UK construction for 1950's 1960's. So singe skin between houses. No basement.

So no air gap between im afraid.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts