AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that recessed lights are always a problem for soundproofing. I will be using clips and hat channels on my ceiling, and the guy I bought these from told me to just use sconces on the wall.

However, almost every HT I've seen here has cans in the ceiling. Is there a way to do this that won't violate the soundproofing of my type of ceiling construction (i.e., barrier, clips and hat channels)??

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I prefer to put recessed lights in acoustically isolated soffits. Otherwise, track lighting is a better choice to maintain sound isolation.

- Terry

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick
I prefer to put recessed lights in acoustically isolated soffits. Otherwise, track lighting is a better choice to maintain sound isolation.

- Terry
good thoughts.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim
I think I have seen others build boxes for their cans. But it is a penetration in the drywall, which may make all the $$ spent on clips moot due flanking.

Good luck.
more good thoughts. though isolation can be attained if the cans are well sealed, etc., it's a risk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick

- Terry
Man, does that make sense. I could have done that...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Either suspend the MDF/plywood enclosures on the isolated drywall sheets with no contact to the joists, or isolate the enclosures from the joists with RSIC, or whatever your favorite isolation devices that you used on the drywall tracks, and then caulk the heck out of the gap between the enclosure and the drywall with USG acoustical caulk.

It's not as good as a ceiling with no penetrations, but going to this trouble ensures that it is the best that it can be, and you get the added safety and aesthetic benefits of the additional light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you can't build a soffit due to ceiing height, you might consider an air-tight IC remodel recessed can. This can will accommodate up to a 1 1/4" ceiling thickness

Nora LIghting NHRIC-504AT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.