AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the DIY solutions, ive decided it isnt really that much more expensive to do one of these versions already premade. any suggestions which offers a better panel? The NRC on the acoustimacs are a little higher. I plan on doing the 24x48x2 panels, about a dozen to handle the front side and rear walls
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
One can find some very cost effective DIY options. I'm like you, I find value in ready made pieces.


However, regardless of value, make sure the panels you're buying are exactly what you want. Oftentimes some of those have wood, or some type of backing material, that entirely impedes incident absorption from that side. So spacing panels off the wall, which is highly effective at increasing effectiveness at lower frequencies, becomes lesser of an option.



Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/20862890


One can find some very cost effective DIY options. I'm like you, I find value in ready made pieces.


However, regardless of value, make sure the panels you're buying are exactly what you want. Oftentimes some of those have wood, or some type of backing material, that entirely impedes incident absorption from that side. So spacing panels off the wall, which is highly effective at increasing effectiveness at lower frequencies, becomes lesser of an option.



Good luck

+1


if you space the panel from the wall they will be more effective to a lower range (w/ caveats, of course) ... but if you plan to do this you will want to make sure you do not purchase panels with wood backings - you want the absorption open from the front and back.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea i was going to try on wall first, see how it sounds there, then go an inch off the wall and try again, I dont think I want to go the full 2 inches off that is typically recommended as my room is already width challenged as it is.


the acoustimac ones have the option of puttin the wood backing on for an additional charge and the ATS just have it on there automagically, so guess ill go with the acoustimacs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
i dont see any reason to pay extra for wood backing.


-at best, the wood backing provides zero additional benefit when the panel is mounted against the boundary


-at worst, it will restrict you by no longer permitting you to space the insulation from the boundary to increase effectiveness of the absorber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/20862976


Yea i was going to try on wall first, see how it sounds there, then go an inch off the wall and try again, I dont think I want to go the full 2 inches off that is typically recommended as my room is already width challenged as it is.

it's essentially like getting a free lunch.


2" OC703 w/ 2" air-gap will perform almost with parity to a 4" panel mounted flat against the boundary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 /forum/post/20863105


i dont see any reason to pay extra for wood backing.


-at best, the wood backing provides zero additional benefit when the panel is mounted against the boundary


-at worst, it will restrict you by no longer permitting you to space the insulation from the boundary to increase effectiveness of the absorber.




it's essentially like getting a free lunch.


2" OC703 w/ 2" air-gap will perform almost with parity to a 4" panel mounted flat against the boundary.

Right which is the reason we don't have backs AND build the air gap in the back (It also lets you hang the panel flat on the wall
). Sure it cost a few dollars more to build it that way, but the performance is A LOT better.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top