AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for an acoustic carpet pad for my dedicated home theater that sits above the garage. I have had some Home Theater designers/installers come by to give me their opinion. A couple folks have said I need Dynapad carpet padding to help with the sound in the room. After doing some research on here some people has suggested Acoustik Mat (or horse stall pads for cheaper $).

My current floor is 3/4 plywood then some rafters then sheetrock in the garage beneath.

My question is...

1. Do I need need any acoustic carpet padding or can I just go with the basic foam carpet pad?

2. If I do need something like this then which would be better and easier to install?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
It depends what you want it for. If you are trying to soundproof the room then the Acoustik Mat is useful? not sure? Another layer of ply with green glue might help as well? - see www.soundproofingcompany.com for details....I dont know much about this, look at the website. Ted White might chime in as well - if not PM him.

It you are concerned with the floor as an acoustic absorber then you want wall-to-wall clipped-pile carpet on 40 oz/sq yd felt underlay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My baseboards are already on so I only have a 1/2" or so to work with. I dont think i can do a layer of ply and green glue. Thats why I was wondering about carpet padding. If dynapad is worth it for the money or just go with some other acoustic mat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts