AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
From HPF definition: " Some subwoofers employ limiters (ie high-pass filters)". A filter is not a limiter. A limiter works by ensuring that the signal amplitude does not exceed a specified value. A compressor is a variation that has a softer adjustable knee and usually control over the attack and decay rates of the signal.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Added ARC, DCAC, MCACC, and YPAO

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Added PSB

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Added:
ARC - Audio Return Channel – Device technology that uses a single HDMI connection to send Dolby Digital, PCM, or DTS audio from a TV to the AVR (or soundbar). Without ARC, 2 HDMI cables would be needed: AVR to TV, TV to AVR. All HDMI cables will support ARC functionality when connected to ARC-enabled devices.

Removed (not because it is wrong, more because no one here refers to this):
ARC – Advanced Room Correction – Room correction solution by Audyssey, using Multeq XT32. ARC 2 uses software and a microphone to calculate a room correction that sound engineers can apply to recordings.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Added:
DTS - A group of digital sound technologies (codecs) owned by the company of the same name. The acronym may mean Dedicated To Sound, or Digital Theater Systems. Website

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Added
ASIO – Audio Stream Input/Output - a computer sound card driver protocol for digital audio that provides a low-latency (by connecting directly to the sound card) and high fidelity interface between a software application (like REW) and a computer's sound card.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Added PLII.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Added TA and MB. Check my explanations.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is a great resource for the community .. but I felt I should point out that in a literary context, I'm told that most of these aren't really 'acronyms'. An 'acronym' is an abbreviation that forms a word. The example that is often used is 'laser' which is a legitimate 'word' in addition to being an abbreviation. I believe that most of the terms being explained in this post are actually 'initialisms'. An initialism is an abbreviation that uses the firstletter of each word in the phrase (thus, some but not all initialisms are acronyms). I only point this out since someone corrected me once. Carry on ... good work everyone.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I put your movie link at the top of the list. Thank you.
Any non-acronyms are there because they look like acronyms to someone who doesn't know getter.
This is a great resource for the community .. but I felt I should point out that in a literary context, I'm told that most of these aren't really 'acronyms'. An 'acronym' is an abbreviation that forms a word. The example that is often used is 'laser' which is a legitimate 'word' in addition to being an abbreviation. I believe that most of the terms being explained in this post are actually 'initialisms'. An initialism is an abbreviation that uses the firstletter of each word in the phrase (thus, some but not all initialisms are acronyms). I only point this out since someone corrected me once. Carry on ... good work everyone.
See OP's response when pointed out prior

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Wow .. I went through all the posts before posting and didn't see anything. Just went through them all a second time too. Sorry guys. I did find a couple of resources that claim to be useful although not specifically HT oriented:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/
Yeah, I never do that :rolleyes: I think I've used both of those before....there's a lot of acronyms. Back in the days of telex communication, where brevity made for smaller bills, the known acronym between parties could be quite handy, many industry specific terms am sure were used, I know we did. I had a friend in my industry go to some way out in the outback place in Australia where they did have a telex machine, and phone calls were extremely expensive at this time for calls back to the US but telex was comparatively cheap...as long as you abbreviated as much as possible....we almost communicated in complete sets of acronyms after a bit, just to amuse ourselves to see if the other could decipher it all and then add something on the return....hard to imagine in the internet age.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Added T/S

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Fixed. My bad. Thank you.

If you get the chance, maybe could you help me with post 3?

61 - 80 of 146 Posts