6,947 Posts
Sounds like a girly movie.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/12925606

Sounds like a girly movie.

Well my sis-in-law saw it 2 or 3 times in the theater and won't shut up about it so...

I am going to be renting it as soon as possible, but I think I am going to be put off by the musical-style covers of songs that I love.

Didn't bother me with Mulan Rouge, in fact I liked it, but this is the Beatles and it just seems different.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
3 movies that can make my wife always happy but yet to make it to HDM.

1) Monster In Law

2) Sound of Music

3) Shall We Dance

·
Registered
456 Posts
While it can be considered a chick flick, it also appeals to anyone who loves the Beatles, the 60s, musicals, and director Julie Taymor's surreal and original vision as a filmmaker.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/12925787

I think its ridiculous that this site thinks having all the extras in HD is not considered "HD extras".

Yep. Someone needs to call them up on it. Had all the extras been in 480p, it would have received the same rating. There's 100min+ worth of HD extras. That should count for at least 1-2 stars.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
The trailer for this one looked bizarre. Like some sort of awesome acid trip. Set to nothing but songs from the Beatles.
(That makes it more like an actual acid trip, only now with BD you can see colors you never imagined). This will have to do for trippy HD colors until Disney remasters Tron. What other solid films have colors that will blow your mind?

I wanted to catch this one in theaters but seeing as it is a musical, the only way I would enjoy it would be in HD. Not only that but this has a 24bit track.

If you dont like musicals take a look at the ones that look unconventional. I hope enjoy this as much as I did Sweeney Todd.

BTW- I thought the HD extras rating was to measure the PQ and AQ of the extras at one. Otherwise it is totally mislabeled.(someone should tell them)

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
What they should do is insert another section for extras in HD, with stars indicating how much is in HD (in this case 5 since everything is in HD), then change the name of the current section to something like "BD exclusive extras." It is really misleading how it reads now.

About this disc, I am definitely looking forward to picking it up. I guess I can see why some would say it's a "chick flick," but I don't think I've ever seen one this trippy.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
I sent him an email requesting they reconsider the criteria for HD extras.

Brandon

·
Registered
530 Posts
I loved the movie. It was one of my favorite movies of the year (me and the GF saw it two different times).

The music was well done and the visuals are worth it alone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I saw this on a Sony 4K SXRD in the theater and I was blown away. It was by far the finest visual presentation I've ever witnessed.

Can't wait for this on Blu.

·
Registered
324 Posts
preordered.

but i thought that it will have trueHD and not pcm.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As a big Beatles fan, I was disappointed, as an avid movie-goer, it was just ok.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubarenko /forum/post/12926598

preordered.

but i thought that it will have trueHD and not pcm.

Is there something wrong with 24 bit pcm with an average bit rate of 6.9mbps. I have found most of the uncompressed pcm tracks from disney and sony to be of the highest quality.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 /forum/post/12926119

I sent him an email requesting they reconsider the criteria for HD extras.

Brandon

Just glancing at the review I assumed it had no HD extras, so yeah, it is misleading.

PS. Anyone else give a crap about what they think about the movie? I don't think it should be part of the score in an HD disc review.

Doesn't everyone use Rotten Tomatoes to get an idea of how people think a movie is?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/12925719

3 movies that can make my wife always happy but yet to make it to HDM.

1) Monster In Law

2) Sound of Music

3) Shall We Dance

Not sure about 1 & 3, but I would probably line up to buy Sound of Music for my wife.

We love this movie and had the opening on this morning while getting the kids ready.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got a feeling that this movie might wind up being the "Fifth Element" of Blu-Ray... meaning it could be the movie that is so visually impressive, regardless of its actual content, that it makes for a great demo disc in stores to show people in just a few seconds what makes HDM so fantastic.

I think I may like the content more than the reviewer did. I've got it pre-ordered for a blind buy.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts