AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 885 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like this Media Player is promising.

Product will be initially launch June 11 at PC Show 09 Singapore.

Selling at € 169 (w/o HD)

A/V Out: HDMI interface up to 1080p

Composite Video

Composite Audio

Y/Pb/Pr Video

SPDIF coaxial (digital audio)

SPDIF Optical TOSLink (digital audio)

Storage supported: Internal Harddisk

External USB Harddisk

Media cards

USB disks / USB stick

Network drive

Built-in Storage supported: 3.5" SATA/SATA2 Harddisk up to 1.5TB

Media cards supported: SD card, SDHC (SD High Capacity)

MMC, MS, MSPro

USB2.0 host controller: USB 2.0 Interface

USB Mass Storage Devices (harddrives, flashdrives)

Add ports with USB hubs, USB cardreaders

NAS Network Drive / Network Player Great as Network Media Center

Functions as NAS Network Drive

accessible via network from all NAS capable devices eg. PC, XBOX, PS3 etc)

Browse network by navigation or direct IP address

Save Shortcuts to easily access network locations

Plays / streams audio/video/image media from any device in network

Use Playon! HD to play any media in network

Play media stored in Playon! HD from anywhere in network

Network - wired LAN Ethernet 10/100Mbps Auto-negotiation

Built-in DHCP for Auto IP or Manual Fixed IP

Network - wireless (optional, not incl.) Wireless WLAN 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps via USB WLAN adaptor (optional, not incl.)

Supports WLAN security WEP / WPA

Supports WLAN Peer-to-Peer (connects wireless without router)

Video Formats Supported: AVI / MKV / TS / TP / TRP / M2TS / MPG / MP4 / MOV / M4V / VOB / ISO / IFO / DAT / WMV / ASF / RM / RMVB / FLV resolution up to 720p / 1080i / 1080p

Video Codecs Supported: MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 SP/ASP/AVC (H.264) / XviD / DivX / WMV9 (VC-1) / RealVideo 8/9/10 (up to 720P)

Video Output Supported: PAL / NTSC / 480p / 576 / 720p / 1080i 50Hz / 1080i 60Hz / 1080p 50Hz / 1080p 60Hz

Audio Formats Supported:

MP3 / MP2 / WMA / AAC / FLAC / WAV / OGG Vorbis / PCM / LPCM / MS-ADPCM / LC-AAC / HE-AAC / COOK / RA-Lossless

Audio Output Supported:

Stereo, AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 (passthrough & downmix to stereo), DTS (passthrough)

Image Formats Supported: HD JPEG / BMP / GIF / TIF / PNG

More info: http://www.playonhd.com/specifications.php

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tweakers and Hardware.info (2 big NL sites) are both posting news of this Playon!HD. Hardware.info even had it in their labs and did a quick preview - the editor seems happy, looks very positive. Well, enough to convince me to get it
ordered one on their website, got a reply that they are running a reservation list and mine will sent out next wed 17 june or I can come to rotterdam to pick it up. Wow. not vaporware.
can't wait! will post when I get it.

ps. the price is euro 149 incl. tax, i think $169 is for USA ppl.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got a confirmation email that I can pick it up on next Wed in Rotterdam (or have it sent)... I just replied them that I'll pick it up - it's gonna be playday for me
Sure, I'll post when I get it.

@Duckling: wow, that sounds hot. that just makes me even more curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it seems the eqpt is very good in terms of the specification, went on the SG PC Shoot and headed to ACRyan Booth and I bring some movies to test it, seem all the normal video is working fine even the ISO dvd movies can navigate the menu. I was a bit dissapointed when I try one of my FLV video wont play that is due the video codec was VP6 that is not currently supported and the player error message was Invalid File, was supposed to be Unrecognized File Format or something else
. But aside from that i think the unit is good. Btw the price in SG dollar was $359 with built in 750GB-Western Digital HD and w/o HD costs $249 SGD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
YES! I got it. went down to Rotterdam and picked up. The guys at AC Ryan are really nice, went through the player with me and could answer all the questions I had. There were also a couple of users coming in while I was leaving. They are doing well. They deserve it.

It does everything it says it does. I could have waited for the asus or a wdtv2 but they have zero delivery date, that makes them "future" products while with the Playon!HD I have my full hd player now already! wahaha. also those do not take an internal 3.5" drive while the Playon!HD does. I'm a very happy man. I'm already enjoying my HD videos right now hehe.

So far I've tried most of the file types I have, MKV file (ripped 720p and 1080p files all played smoothly), blu-ray .M2TS file, TS file, DVD ISO (plays with DVD navigation menu), xvid, avi, divx, wmv, mov, mp3, wma, flac. really super. I've also got it hooked up on wired network and was streaming the blu-ray .M2TS (21GB) file! and it played fine from network - nice.

NAS (samba) is working fine, shows up as a network drive on my windows xp. Installing a harddisk went well too (it asks you if you'd like to format it). I put in a 1TB. The guy at the showroom said they have tried a 2TB drive and it works but they did not put it in the specs as 2TB drives are still too new and they wouldn't be able to guarantee it will work with all 2TB drives that are still to come. Anyway, 2TB drives are still way too expensive. when they drop in price then I'll change the 1TB to 2TB one. I'm busy copying files onto the internal hdd now. Later tonight I'll put in a couple of torrents and leave it to download overnight. still feeling very very happy

·
Registered
27 Posts
unpacking the Playon!HD (it doesn't need to be christmas to feel the joy of unpacking toys)

the back connectors

the screen menu (yes, its a 12yo CRT. a big LCDTV is definitely my next purchase)

I dont know if you can see it, it's playing the m2ts file from a blu-ray archive (not ripped)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't see a on/off switch any where on the box. Does this device turn on/off via remote?

What is the boot up time? How fast is the response with the menu navigation?

Please give a more thorough review as I'm very interested in this.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Egreat 34A, but for roughly the same price, I think this one is better for me since it has the internal drive capability. I'm itching to pull the trigger on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaa /forum/post/16676596

I don't see a on/off switch any where on the box. Does this device turn on/off via remote?

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Egreat 34A, but for roughly the same price, I think this one is better for me since it has the internal drive capability.

There's no on/off switch, only standby mode where PlayonHD front button is red (blue means on).

·
Registered
103 Posts
HDmaniac,

When you installed the HD, did the AC ryan automatically format it? I ask because if I get one of these, I want tot know if I can put in an NTFS hard drive that already has some files on it. Also, it would be easier to use the usb slave option hokked to my windows pc if the internal drive could be formatted in ntfs.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckling /forum/post/16676635

There's no on/off switch, only standby mode where PlayonHD front button is red (blue means on).

Does the fan goes off in standby? Does the hard drive stop spinning in standby?

Does the manual or the Sys Info menu list the technical specs of the unit like CPU, memory etc?

Also, if you've had experience with the NMT GUI, please tell us the difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just watched the video demo of the setup menu. I only see SAMBA connectivity but no SMB in the network menu. Can someone confirm?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@afaa

In standby mode, the fan and HDD both are off. From standby it starts up very fast, 2 or 3 seconds.

I'm not familiar with Samba or SMB or what is the difference. Can you explain what's the diff? I thought they are the same? It shows up on my network Samba with the HDD and Printer (means it supports network usb printer?? will try usb printer when I have time).

The manual doesnt say what processor/memory. I'm know it is Realtek's new chipset. I've not actually owned any NMTs myself (i've been using a self-built HTPC), I've only seen it at a friend and used it briefly, so I cant say much. The Playon!HD's menu structure is very simple and fast, does things simply and well, plays all my files - which was what I was looking for - wasnt looking for another HTPC hehe.

@wickchucker

It prompts you to confirm formatting the HDD. I'm afraid the old HDD needs to be formatted by Playon!HD before the player can use it. That's actually exactly the same question I asked the AC Ryan guy, cos I wanted to do that too. He explained that the Playon!HD needs to make hidden partitions (about 300mb) for the system (eg. as buffer). The drive itself (main partition where the data sits) is NTFS. I can just connect as usb slave to my PC to transfer files. For the first transfer of loading up the drive with all my videos, thats what I did (usb is definitely faster than network).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I am looking to purchase a media player which can better the WDTV (I dont care much about networking). To be more precise, I am looking to whether PlayOn!HD can play more files than WDTV.

In this respect, do any of the people who have purchased this unit let me know the reframe limitations?

Particularly, does this 16 reference frame 1920x1080 file play OK on this unit?

http://rapidshare.com/files/82525583....x264.mkv.html

What about other non-DXVA compliant files like the one below:

(Linked from http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watc...os-using-dxva/ )

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/132004/te..._high_l5.1.mp4

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/132004/Li...version%29.mkv

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks,

Ordered one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDmanic /forum/post/16681155

@afaa

In standby mode, the fan and HDD both are off. From standby it starts up very fast, 2 or 3 seconds.

I'm not familiar with Samba or SMB or what is the difference. Can you explain what's the diff? I thought they are the same? It shows up on my network Samba with the HDD and Printer (means it supports network usb printer?? will try usb printer when I have time).

The manual doesnt say what processor/memory. I'm know it is Realtek's new chipset. I've not actually owned any NMTs myself (i've been using a self-built HTPC), I've only seen it at a friend and used it briefly, so I cant say much. The Playon!HD's menu structure is very simple and fast, does things simply and well, plays all my files - which was what I was looking for - wasnt looking for another HTPC hehe.

@wickchucker

It prompts you to confirm formatting the HDD. I'm afraid the old HDD needs to be formatted by Playon!HD before the player can use it. That's actually exactly the same question I asked the AC Ryan guy, cos I wanted to do that too. He explained that the Playon!HD needs to make hidden partitions (about 300mb) for the system (eg. as buffer). The drive itself (main partition where the data sits) is NTFS. I can just connect as usb slave to my PC to transfer files. For the first transfer of loading up the drive with all my videos, thats what I did (usb is definitely faster than network).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDmanic /forum/post/16685143

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/132004/Li...version%29.mkv

video ok, but no sound. I cant get sound when I tried playing it on my computer too. do you know what audio codec it uses?

The audio codec is FLAC. Surprising your computer doesn't play it (Have you tried playing any FLAC audio files?). Does the PlayOn!HD support FLAC?

Thanks for your feedback. It is great to know that the Realtek chip is very powerful!

1 - 20 of 885 Posts