AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the secret to getting this thing activated?? I downloaded the SW and loaded it on my Win2K machine then used it to request the upgrade license. I downloaded that and applied it and it worked.

Now I move the files to my Win95 SE HTPC, (which isn't on the internet), and upgrade to ActiveX 8.0, as recommended, setup WinDVD after uninstalling the old version, and then run the activation file.

On my HTPC this doesn't work. It keeps saying activation completed. But the program still times out and asks to be upgraded with the key.

Again, I can't go to the web directly so I'm screwed. Anyone have this problem and, more importantly, solved it??

I sent e-mail to Intervideo, (which does say that it is having this problem with some users), but the site said that the turn-around time is about 2 days. That doesn't do me good tonight!!

If you know the answer plese help!!

TIA,

Phil

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Rule1: never evry buy web junk should have oder the CD.

Well I guest you SOL for now bud in tell then.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Phil I am afraid to say without Internet access I do not think you have an option unless you have the CD shipped. The activation file will not work from one computer to another.

Peace,

Kerry

·
Registered
239 Posts
The web activation version requires that your home machine(s) to have connection to the Internet to activate.

InterVideo generates activation codes from their website when the software exchanges registry information.

Get the CD, dude.

------------------

Drake

--------------

"The world is not upside-down, but inside-out".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Phil,

I am in the same boat as you. My HTPC is not now, nor will it ever be, connected to the internet. So I had to activate WinDVD on one computer then transfer it to another. Yes, it can be done. No, it's not simple.

Here's what I did:

1. Install WinDVD and activate it on the computer connected to the internet.

2. Copy the entire directory where WinDVD was installed (probably C:\\Program Files\\InterVideo) onto the HTPC computer. If you have already tried to install WinDVD on your HTPC using the WinDVD installation program, just overwrite all files with these.

3. Now the tricky part. Export the InterVideo registry settings from your internet computer to the HTPC. Warning: Making changes in the Registry Editor can have adverse effects on your computer. Enter at your own risk.

....A) Open the registry editor and export the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\InterVideo. This can be done by highliting the InterVideo key in the left-hand panel, then choosing Registry-->Export Registry File... from the menu.

....B) Install the above registry file onto your HTPC and Voila!

Hope this helps you.

Personally, I think WinDVDs method of activation sucks the big one.

-robert

------------------

"Of Course I'm at home. I'm un-cool."

·
Registered
888 Posts
You might consider using an alternate activation method. Typically these schemes are cracked within a day or two of the software being released. An hour or so spent searching the net with various search engines for appropriate keywords will probably turn up a program or two that will take care of activating the software without actually talking to intervideo. Since you've paid for it already, you shouldn't have any ethical problems with this route. If anything, Intervideo has some ethical problems with selling you something that you can't use.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Transferring the "InterVideo" registry will not work. It would be a stupid move on InterVideo's part to include activation-based variables in this area. If that were the case, the web-based version would have been cracked long, long ago.

The "InterVideo" values brought up in this tree are for playback features and functionality, nothing more, and nothing less.

[This message has been edited by Drake Sullivan (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Phil,

The way I always used to install WinDVD on a non-internet machine was as follows:

Select the 'web registration' button and let internet explorer load, even though it will complain it can't access the website.

Copy the URL into a text file and save it onto a floppy.

Load the text file on your internet-connected machine and paste the URL into your browser. You should then be able to download an activation key as usual.

Copy the activation file back to the non-internet machine and run it.

This worked for me on previous versions of WinDVD, although I haven't tried it with the latest version... I imagine it would work though!

Hope this helps,

Chris.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that what I am going to try is to put a modem into the HTPC temporarily. That should do it. If not, I'll try some of the other ideas here.

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, all.

I'm a little confused here. This DTS activation... will make my WinDVD3.057 build NON TRIAL and will activate the DTS, or it will remain TRIAL but with DTS capability?

thanx

stark

------------------

Blue Skies Bring Tears

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Crane:
Always go for the BUY CD option. After all, what if your PC died?
What if you lost the CD? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I never purchase CDs... I just write my own CD with software I've purchased - store one CD instead of 50, get instant gratification. In any case, WinDVD makes this purchase option available and they should stand by it.

No, the problem is that the creator's of WinDVD simply don't care about their customers' needs. I know that when I bough WinDVD way back when I had this problem (ended up putting a modem in my HTPC to activate it). I wrote an e-mail to them complaining (in a nice way) about the problem and explaining why it existed. I believe several other people from this forum have done the same... They chose to ignore their paying customers. Simple as that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.