AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if an active HDMI cable can cause an HDMI board on a TV to go bad?

Background: 40' Ruipro hybrid cable. 75" sony xbr-900E had 2 HDMI boards go bad when using the ARC HDMI-3. Both had 'sparkles' for their 4k signals. Now my replacement 85" sony XBR-900F has it's HDMI-3 ARC channel stop working for 4k signals. 1080p still passes fine, but on 4K no picture at all. I've swapped over to HDMI 2 for now, but am wondering if that will fail too with time.

·
Registered
16,366 Posts
Anyone know if an active HDMI cable can cause an HDMI board on a TV to go bad?

Background: 40' Ruipro hybrid cable. 75" sony xbr-900E had 2 HDMI boards go bad when using the ARC HDMI-3. Both had 'sparkles' for their 4k signals. Now my replacement 85" sony XBR-900F has it's HDMI-3 ARC channel stop working for 4k signals. 1080p still passes fine, but on 4K no picture at all. I've swapped over to HDMI 2 for now, but am wondering if that will fail too with time.

I have never heard of an active HDMI cable causing issues with the sink's HDMI port, unless a power surge came down the line from the source. Active cables draw 50mA of power from the sink end so unless it shorts out (unlikely) the issue is probably elsewhere. Ruipro makes excellent cables ( I've been testing their 4k cables for quite some time now and will be testing their new 8k cables soon) and have never had an issue. Ruipro has good customer support so talk to them. Any mfr can have a bad cable so maybe you can get them to replace it if you think it's the cable. At 40', you may have to use a voltage inserter because some HDMI ports just don't deliver a consistent enough 50mA to adequately power the chipsets in the cable ,and at that distance, any fluctuations may result in sparkles, drop outs, etc.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
'Anyone know if an active HDMI cable can cause an HDMI board on a TV to go bad?' - very unlikely it is the cable itself, though you could have a stray voltage traveling over the shield wires.

What other cables are connected to your TV?

Is your Comms. cabinet (where your Source kit lives) and the TV on the same electrical circuit within the house? Home 'Extensions' can sometimes be an issue when you start to cross zones with AV cables?

Is anything in your system grounded? It is not unusual to find a system where all devices are double insulted and that can be an issue when you start wiring across zones in a property.

Any issue in your area with lightning? Most often your Cable or Satellite down cables are a source of ingress of over-voltages?

Any other odd occurrences with electrical items in the property?

Joe

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
This was discussed in the JVC projector thread. Supposedly the RUIPRO active cables slightly overdrive one of the HDMI power lines which can fry HDMI chips on the display device.

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Linky? :)

·
Registered
16,366 Posts
This was discussed in the JVC projector thread. Supposedly the RUIPRO active cables slightly overdrive one of the HDMI power lines which can fry HDMI chips on the display device.

How can an active cable "overdrive" the HDMI input, which I assume means it's drawing more than the 50mA current from the HDMI port? I've heard that some pj's have more fluctuations in their current output than the active cable can handle, which results in issues. That's why Ruipro ships voltage inserters with their 8k cables in case a more stable current output is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts