AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I am in love with the set of M-Audio BX8-D2 we just got at work (I work in IT, our team manager was actually pretty stoked when we brought up buying a nice set of powered speakers for the team space), enough so that I'm starting to think about a set for the living room. My question arises from not knowing what components I'd need to get to make this as painless a setup as using a pair of passive speakers hooked up to an A/V receiver.

I have several HDMI-equipped pieces of equipment (xbox, cable box, blu-ray), and Panasonic S60-series plasma that has enough HDMI inputs and an optical output. I know I would need some piece of equipment to take those signals and pass them along to the monitors. This piece of equipment would need to be remote-control capable. Something like an inexpensive receiver with pre-outs would probably work fine, correct?. If there's something that could take the single digital output from the TV and pass that to the monitors as well as being remote-capable that would be appealing. I looked at standalone pre/pro units and they all seem to be a little bit expensive, presumably because the people going down that route are willing to pay for nicer stuff.

The other hangup is the question of power...I wouldn't want the monitors on when I'm not using them, and I wouldn't want to have to flip them off/on around back each time I wanted to watch/listen to something. Is there such a thing as a remote-capable power switch that could be toggled by the likes of a Harmony remote? That's really the last bit of the puzzle I have to solve.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Yes, an avr with pre-outs would do fine. If your tv has a set of analog outs (pre-outs so to speak) you could simply use those but I don't think too many offer that any more. AVR would let you expand to more speakers in future. Inexpensive avr with pre-outs might take some looking.

Not familiar with those speakers but they may have a standby mode to go into when they don't sense a signal otherwise can't think of a simple way to turn them off although there is likely a remote controlled power strip out there, just never needed one. I took a brief look at a retailers website, the spec shows in the list "turn-on/off transient" which might be such a sensing switch.

Now you need a sub

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow, a computer speaker with an 8" woofer! I thought I was going overboard with my NHT Classic 3s as near-field monitors...

I'm in a similar situation, and don't want to deal with the complexity of an AVR. I already have my iScan Duo to switch HDMI audio/video, and just plain don't need surround sound, "concert hall" effects or any other complexities that I see on your average AVR.

All I need is a DAC with a remote volume control, and the ability to switch between at least two inputs. Does anyone make an audio preamp with digital inputs and an IR remote control? All I need to be able to do is switch between the Toslink audio out from my TV and the Toslink out on my computer. Whenever I Google for something like that, most of the hits are for pro audio microphone preamps for DAW use, and that's not what I need.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzy.baby  /t/1494239/active-speakers-as-mains-what-would-it-take#post_23820249

Long story short, I am in love with the set of M-Audio BX8-D2 we just got at work (I work in IT, our team manager was actually pretty stoked when we brought up buying a nice set of powered speakers for the team space), enough so that I'm starting to think about a set for the living room. My question arises from not knowing what components I'd need to get to make this as painless a setup as using a pair of passive speakers hooked up to an A/V receiver.

I have several HDMI-equipped pieces of equipment (xbox, cable box, blu-ray), and Panasonic S60-series plasma that has enough HDMI inputs and an optical output. I know I would need some piece of equipment to take those signals and pass them along to the monitors. This piece of equipment would need to be remote-control capable. Something like an inexpensive receiver with pre-outs would probably work fine, correct?. If there's something that could take the single digital output from the TV and pass that to the monitors as well as being remote-capable that would be appealing. I looked at standalone pre/pro units and they all seem to be a little bit expensive, presumably because the people going down that route are willing to pay for nicer stuff.

The other hangup is the question of power...I wouldn't want the monitors on when I'm not using them, and I wouldn't want to have to flip them off/on around back each time I wanted to watch/listen to something. Is there such a thing as a remote-capable power switch that could be toggled by the likes of a Harmony remote? That's really the last bit of the puzzle I have to solve.

With the rate of technological development today (sometimes thanks to marketing, argh!) it is a very rare case that someone would need/wan't to change his power amp and his speakers at the same time. With the M-Audio BX8-D2s you will have no other choise. Just a thought!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1494239/active-speakers-as-mains-what-would-it-take#post_23820280

Yes, an avr with pre-outs would do fine. If your tv has a set of analog outs (pre-outs so to speak) you could simply use those but I don't think too many offer that any more. AVR would let you expand to more speakers in future. Inexpensive avr with pre-outs might take some looking.

Not familiar with those speakers but they may have a standby mode to go into when they don't sense a signal otherwise can't think of a simple way to turn them off although there is likely a remote controlled power strip out there, just never needed one. I took a brief look at a retailers website, the spec shows in the list "turn-on/off transient" which might be such a sensing switch.

Now you need a sub

Booyah : http://www.vine.com/p/tripp-lite-eco-surge-protector-green-w-remote-control-6-outlet-6-feet-cord-562770?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_v&utm_term=FPS-64859&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1573755417&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

And yes to the sub. M-Audio also makes one, and based on the performance of the monitors I'd be excited to try it out. However - they do have enough bass presence/output that I could probably get by without one for a while.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1494239/active-speakers-as-mains-what-would-it-take#post_23820766

Take a look at the Marantz NR1403 (2012) or its successor,, the NR1504 as both feature 2.1 main zone pre-outs, Audyssey MultEQ and are slim line models.

Looks like a solid contender to me. Love the slim design. Was also thinking about a used older Emotiva unit, something like the UMC-1, but I should probably go for something that offers some sort of "night" mode since I'm in an apartment building.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yes, an AVR with preamp outputs would certainly work. There are some reasonalby price Preamp / Processors out there - this one is from a great company and it got great reviews:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

As far as powering them down, I leave my M-Audio powered speakers (the smaller BX5's) connected to my computer on all the time - 4 years now and never a problem. But while you are putting together a system, you really should be thinking about a very good surge protector that EVERYTHING plugs into to protect your equipment. Some of these have a power sensing outlet that will power everything up when you turn on the AVR / PrePro using a power sensing outlet or a 12V turn on signal. Look at Furman, Panamax, etc and look at the component versions. I'm sure there are smaller ones that have remote turn on, but this is the one I have:
http://www.panamax.com/Products/A-V-Components/M5300-PM.php#tab_features

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't even know something like power-sensing surge protectors existed, that would definitely handle the powering up/down. Nice, thanks for that!

Now if only there were a product to convince your wife/significant other that this really is in the budget...

·
Premium Member
92,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzy.baby  /t/1494239/active-speakers-as-mains-what-would-it-take/0_100#post_23822247

Looks like a solid contender to me. Love the slim design. Was also thinking about a used older Emotiva unit, something like the UMC-1, but I should probably go for something that offers some sort of "night" mode since I'm in an apartment building.

The Audyssey models also come with both Dynamic EQ (boosts bass/surrounds at lower volume levels) and Dynamic Volume (normalizes volume level ... compresses loud explosions/commercials while increasing lower level dialogue levels).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts