AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I now use passive 5.1 speakers with Denon 4400 avr. I have a very good stage right now to my ears, but for the sake of the hobby lets say I change the front 3 speakers to active monitors, will it work? anything I need to consider ? do I need any additional equipment such as monitor controller, etc ?

Appreciate your opinions :)

·
Registered
30,607 Posts
You need line level outputs for the active monitors. Fewer and fewer AVRs have them. Does yours?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
You could go active 5.1 or more w/the Genelec G Series and an F series sub. I would check them out they have an excellent pro audio reputation.:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe just using the pre-outs from your AVR into the active speakers should work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe just using the pre-outs from your AVR into the active speakers should work.

Thanks, makes sense to me. so there shouldn't be an issue? as the main purpose of the pre outs are to connect avrs to external power amps.. does it also work when connecting to active monitors ?

·
Registered
21,601 Posts
Thanks, makes sense to me. so there shouldn't be an issue? as the main purpose of the pre outs are to connect avrs to external power amps.. does it also work when connecting to active monitors ?
Active Monitors are in effect amps.

You just don't have to hook up speakers to them as the speakers are already connected to the amps.

For example, while the KEF LS50 is a great speaker, the active version is said to be better due to the care taken in matching the amp and DSP to the speakers.

Their marketing speak according to owners is not just hyperbole:

"KEF has eliminated the guesswork: they put two custom-designed amplifiers in each speaker — 200 watts to each woofer, and 30 watts to each tweeter — so each driver gets perfect power. And the attention to detail doesn't stop there. Each driver has a high-end 192 kHz/24-bit DAC to make digital sound come alive.

Built-in digital signal processing (DSP) offers an easy Beginner mode, but you may prefer to take total control in Expert mode, and tweak the sound to perfectly suit your unique room. Whichever way you choose, you can make your changes via a free smartphone app, available for Apple® and Android™ devices."

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I use active monitors fed from my AVR's preouts [actually, its zone 2 preouts] and I find it works well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think there would be an issue (assuming your monitors have the correct input), as you are technically connecting your AVR to the power amp on your active monitor. It would work the exact same way on how you would connect a subwoofer to your AVR.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Hi

I now use passive 5.1 speakers with Denon 4400 avr. I have a very good stage right now to my ears, but for the sake of the hobby lets say I change the front 3 speakers to active monitors, will it work? anything I need to consider ? do I need any additional equipment such as monitor controller, etc ?

Appreciate your opinions :)
What monitors are you looking at just in case they don't have analog in (sure not likely but some pro Monitors may be Dante/AES67 only) at which stage they can't be used with your AVR.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What monitors are you looking at just in case they don't have analog in (sure not likely but some pro Monitors may be Dante/AES67 only) at which stage they can't be used with your AVR.
Thanks to everyone so far.

Ok, so I went to a nearby store and heard KRK ROKIT they had in the demo room, not sure which woofer size, but it was G3 series. didnt have much time as I was on break from work :) but I can say music sounded really good in my exprerience, not perfect but thats understandable in the price range, but again, |I was impressed. good bass & mids which had 'weight' to them. small problem is the yellow woofer, not sure if it comes with grills..

I am aiming at the $200~ range ,another model I saw in other store's website is Kali audio LP-6 , that I wish to demo. they are class D and got some good "official" reviews.

others to consider in the price range: Tannoy reveal, or a bit more expensive Adam T5V.

By the way, as said before if I end up buying any, they will be connected to AVR which has pre-outs, to use as fronts (surrounds are passives) - in terms of sound quality is there a significant change from say the equipment connected in the store (mixers I guess) ?

appreciate your thoughts if you know any of the models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ok, so I went to a nearby store and heard KRK ROKIT they had in the demo room, not sure which woofer size, but it was G3 series. didnt have much time as I was on break from work :) but I can say music sounded really good in my exprerience, not perfect but thats understandable in the price range, but again, |I was impressed. good bass & mids which had 'weight' to them. small problem is the yellow woofer, not sure if it comes with grills..

I am aiming at the $200~ range ,another model I saw in other store's website is Kali audio LP-6 , that I wish to demo. they are class D and got some good "official" reviews.

others to consider in the price range: Tannoy reveal, or a bit more expensive Adam T5V.

By the way, as said before if I end up buying any, they will be connected to AVR which has pre-outs, to use as fronts (surrounds are passives) - in terms of sound quality is there a significant change from say the equipment connected in the store (mixers I guess) ?

+ few questions in addition to previous post..

if the Denon 4400 pre outs L+R will be connected, and in the avr menu I choose "center=none" , just want to make sure the center channel will be passed to the monitors as phantom..

also, I heard some avrs pre outs operate on lower voltage, does that translate to their ability to work with powered monitors ?

·
Premium Member
6,872 Posts
Not entirely true. Cables with RCAs on one end and XLRs on the other are easily obtainable. I do it and it works very well.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
if the Denon 4400 pre outs L+R will be connected, and in the avr menu I choose "center=none" , just want to make sure the center channel will be passed to the monitors as phantom..
Yes it will. The front L and R preouts exactly mirror what the front speaker level outs do in terms of channel assignment, balance, trim, delay ("distance"), bass management status, EQ, master volume level, etc..

In my case the L and R Zone 2 prepouts I have elected to use don't work this way and instead act completely independently from the main room outputs. This is good for me because they are my desk top speakers, not my main room's speakers. This way the room correction adjustments don't tamper with the pure stereo signal I use at my desk.

also, I heard some avrs pre outs operate on lower voltage, does that translate to their ability to work with powered monitors ?
Denon actually tend to have fairly robust preouts, as these things go, but it doesn't usually matter much anyways because each speaker will (usually) have it's own level control so if the incoming signal it gets is unusually low or high you can compensate for it with said control.

Reactions: wolverin1

·
Registered
7,249 Posts

$200/each? These: Mackie MR624

Class D tends to cause the speaker to "hiss" when it isn't playing anything. If you have them on a desk you will hear it - maybe not from far away. At any rate, the Mackies are Class A/B amps and are silent. IMO they sound a little better than the Kalis, too, from the demo I heard, but they are close. I do have a pair on my desk and lower the tweeter by -2 to set them flat.

The only downside is that Class A/B amps will consume more power at idle. I would recommend plugging them both into a power strip or outlet that can be switched off.

·
Registered
507 Posts
+ few questions in addition to previous post..

I got a pair of JBL 306 P mkII brand new for ~180 USD on sale last year and tested them in different configurations - fed by an AVR via RCA being one of the setups. The 306P has 2 gain settings (+4 dBu and -10 dBu). The -10dBu setting works well with consumer-grade audio equipments such as AVR.

Although I don't use the 306P in this configuration, IMO they work well as powered L/R speakers in surround configuration. They sound neutral, play loud and image well. I currently use them as standalone background music speakers fed directly and volume-controlled by Sonos Connect. They can run 24/7 if needed with no issues. Lookout for the 305p/306p on sale this BF or Xmas.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I second the JBL 3 series and Kali speakers, I prefer monitors with neutral on and off axis response and ones that have waveguides.

My question is, why own an AVR and use powered speakers? You have paid for the power amps in the AVR, why bypass them and pay for them again in active speakers?

If you want to use powered speakers, sell the AVR and get a preamp/processor. Or, keep the AVR and get good passive speakers.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
If you want to use powered speakers, sell the AVR and get a preamp/processor. .
Because there are zillions of good AVR's with great bang for the buck vs. only a handful of preamp/processors and they are all over priced because they lack power amps yet they cost more than AVRs with comparable features.

Why? Because of supply and demand, economies of scale, blah, blah, blah. . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My question is, why own an AVR and use powered speakers? You have paid for the power amps in the AVR, why bypass them and pay for them again in active speakers?

Hi Rex

The reason is, until now I used passive speakers in few set ups I had (except the time I had active Meridians which uses only their own gear for processing).

So I guess an Avr with full pre-outs can be an advantage for me, since now I consider to go with powered monitors. It allows flexibility, also, processors are expensive and have smaller second hand market.

UPDATE- Yesterday I went to hear some monitors in my price range, this time I heard the KALI vs ADAM T5V. the Kalis were nice but little harsh for me.

But the ADAMS had me right from the start! WOW, for the price it was amazing. great depth and imaging. was blown away with how dialog sounded in movies, the ability to uncover small details in the soundtrack.

Maybe I will go for it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
A lot of people really like Adam speakers so they have a great reputation. If you heard Kali's older 2-way LP Series speakers they might not have been as competitive with the Adam speakers as the newly introduced 3-way Kali IN-8 with coaxial midrange/tweeter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts