AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've been looking a lot into self powered speakers. The ones I like the most just by reading up on them is anything from Emotiva, particularly the Airmotiv 6s or the stealth 6. I want to know what else I could look into getting. Budget is somewhere around $600. Should I be getting a DAC? Also I feel like I would want a sub and that is the only reason I have put these off for such a long time. Such a pain to find an AVR in the price range that functions well for these. What other speakers could I be looking at with the same sort of specs? (the Emotivas are quite impressive) What other speakers are in the same category as these? Both passive and active. I really want to go for the Emotivas because I could just plug them in and enjoy some great audio. The thing holding it back is the fact that I want a sub woofer and also that It would be around $600 if I did go with a DAC. I could instead put some more money on top of the $600 and get an actual system I could build on. A decent AVR and then keep on adding speakers, start from a 2.1 to 3.1 and so on. What are your thoughts? I just want more than what I have right now. Just a 2.1 PC system with 56 RMS per cabinet and an 8" sub that I feel doesn't go low enough. Someone might say Philharmonic Audio, and I don't have anything against Dennis Murphy or anything, I just feel like there could be something more, sopmething in the neighborhood of the Emotivas, around 200 RMS.

Thanks for reading guys, and looking forward to your reply.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Any AVR with preamp outputs will serve the purpose. I agree on the subwoofer. Everyone should have at least one. If you choose non powered speakers then you can save some money and use a less expensive receiver, allowing more budget for better speakers.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hi guys, I've been looking a lot into self powered speakers. The ones I like the most just by reading up on them is anything from Emotiva, particularly the Airmotiv 6s or the stealth 6. I want to know what else I could look into getting. Budget is somewhere around $600. Should I be getting a DAC? Also I feel like I would want a sub and that is the only reason I have put these off for such a long time. Such a pain to find an AVR in the price range that functions well for these. What other speakers could I be looking at with the same sort of specs? (the Emotivas are quite impressive) What other speakers are in the same category as these? Both passive and active. I really want to go for the Emotivas because I could just plug them in and enjoy some great audio. The thing holding it back is the fact that I want a sub woofer and also that It would be around $600 if I did go with a DAC. I could instead put some more money on top of the $600 and get an actual system I could build on. A decent AVR and then keep on adding speakers, start from a 2.1 to 3.1 and so on. What are your thoughts? I just want more than what I have right now. Just a 2.1 PC system with 56 RMS per cabinet and an 8" sub that I feel doesn't go low enough. Someone might say Philharmonic Audio, and I don't have anything against Dennis Murphy or anything, I just feel like there could be something more, sopmething in the neighborhood of the Emotivas, around 200 RMS.

Thanks for reading guys, and looking forward to your reply.
I think what you should do is purchase passive speakers, but also purchase a small powered desktop amp. That way you can use the same speakers as HT speakers and desktop speakers. All you would need to do is switch speaker wires. You wouldn't have to worry about power cords or anything like that.

Purchasing a receiver with pre-outs costs about as much as your budget and up.

I do suggest a subwoofer also. It will be needed for full-range sound. Dayton Audio has great subs for the money. They have several powered subs depending on your needs. These can be found at partsexpress.com

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have the Emotiva DC-1 DAC, Stealth 6 speakers, and an SVS SB-2000 sub for my 2.1 PC-based system. Can't do much better than that for a 2.1 system; however, there are diminishing returns as more speakers are added. Beyond 3.1 or so, it is better to just get a good AVR and passive speakers. Emotiva is pushing 5.x and 7.x active speaker setups and they are impressive but each location has to have an audio hookup and a power hookup.

A DAC really isn't necessary if the computer has a decent sound card. Only reason I have one is for the multiple inputs and the inability to add dedicated sound cards to the small systems I build. Other DACs with MULTIPLE INPUTS ( there are cheaper ones without these inputs ) to look at that are also in a small form factor are from Parasound ( ZDac ) and Teac ( A-H01, I think. ) Emotiva has the XDA2, but I don't think it has an analog input and robust headphone amplifiers.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I'm a little confused as to the Purpose of this system. On one hand a Desktop Near Field system is implied, but bringing up an AV Receiver implies a Surround Sound system.

For the sake of focused discussion could you clarify how the speakers will be used, and with what other equipment it will be used with? What are your goals and objective? Give us the big picture, don't limit it to one pair of speakers.

Genelec
makes a line of Home Active Speakers, that are frequently used in Home Theater systems. But they can get quite pricey when expanded to a full 5.1 system (or 7.1, or 9.1, or 11.1).

http://www.genelec.com/products/home-audio-loudspeakers/

Unless you happen to have an AV Receiver laying around, and unless that AVR happens to have Pre-Amp outputs, one would not buy a new system as you describe. One would not buy a full AVR, then not use the internal amps.

If you want to use active speakers use something like the Emotiva XSP-1 Pre-Amp/Processor ($999).

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xsp-1

Now again, if you happen to have an AVR laying around, or if you can pick one up cheap, then perhaps using an AVR as a Pre-Amp has some value. But again, if you are buying new, this is something of a waste. Though, I suppose an argument could be made for a blended system of active and passive speakers.

I think we would also like to know your Budget for the Full Project, not simply one pair of speakers?

Focal make an excellent line of Active Speakers, but count on them being expensive and sounding in proportion to their price.

http://www.focal.com/en/72-cms

http://www.focal.com/en/71-sm6

http://www.focal.com/en/70-sm9

Dynaudio also makes some very considerable Active Speaker, but be prepair to pay -

http://www.dynaudioprofessional.com/en/bm-series/

http://www.dynaudioprofessional.com/en/air-series/

http://www.dynaudioprofessional.com/en/m-series/

The last set are only posted for the oh-so-cool factor, they are about $20,000/pr.

I think again, without a more refined framework, we, much like myself, are shooting in the dark.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, that was a lot of information I still need to take in. Let me just clarify, I am a University student that simply loves audio. I'm not just someone who "listens to music", I actually enjoy it, sit down and listen or crank it up and fully take it all in if you know what I mean. Even more simply put I just want better and more powerful.
Total Budget is flexible between $800 and $1500. Though I would prefer not to spend too much and try to save for things in the future, this will be sort of a system that I can hook up on my desktop to replace my current speakers... but what is most likely is that I will want to keep my desktop speakers and then set this system up in my bedroom or living area to just listen to music. I do not care about hooking it up to the Television at this point. Hence the 2.1 or 3.1 idea. Just a good set of speakers that are flat out better than this http://www.corsair.com/en-us/gaming-audio-series-sp2500-high-power-2-1-pc-speaker-system now, I originally got these for the desktop and they stayed that way as they had decent sound. Although as you can see, they only have 56 RMS and the Sub is also not quite up to standards. These basically aren't fit for listening to music the way I want to.
The budget is a lot higher than I was initially willing to go. I was originally looking at anything under $800. I wasn't looking to build a home theater or anything.. Just simply to play some great music with some great sound. This is when I was referred to Emotiva as Active monitors because its a simple plug and play with great sound. Then I realized that I need a full system and there was no way I was about to pull off getting an AVR with pre-outs in my original $800 budget. I just could not let go of Emotiva for some sstrange reason, they just seem so appealing. The specs... everything makes me want to just order them right now. Then someone on this forum, I believe grasshoppers, advised to get a Denon AVR with a couple of very serious passive monitors and an svs sub. Now that is just one option. I just want good audio and have been stuck at this fork in the choice road for almost the past year.

Again, the system will just be for playing music whether its through the PC, ipod, or whatever.
The ideal budget will be under $800, or a bit over if definitely worth it.
If I do want to build on the system in the future, I would obviously go for a passive setup with a basic AVR and some good speakers, incorporate some towers and go from there, but I still have the plug and play in mind.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
182 Posts
i have seconday active speakers (Audioengine A5 and A2). i believe active speakers are the future - perfectly matched amplification and speaker design, takes the guess work out, even though i don't yet have active speakers in my main rig.

there are plenty of awesome options. depends on whether you want to be nearfield or not.

check out the Epoz Aktimate or the KEF X300, they sound great if you like accuracy. and you will only need a sub if you don't sit in front of them.

and the AVI ADM9.1 sound absolutely amazing and rival stuff much higher in price, they're the ones that convinced me actives are the future when a friend got them...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
For the record, I went active back in 2012 and will NEVER go back to passives or consumer "hi-fi" speakers...

* Three KRK 10-3 for the front trio. Note that these are Mid-field monitors.

* Fluid Audio FX8 for Side Surrounds

* KRK Rokit 5 for Rear Surrounds

* Presonus Temblor T10 subwoofer

* Marantz AV7005 pre-/pro (balanced XLR-out and Audyssey EQ)

Just recently, I replaced the front trio with the uniquely amazing Presonus StudioLive 315AI
These give all the sonic benefits of large-diaphragm cinema / venue speakers, with all the benefits of mid/far-field active studio monitors.

Looking forward, I'll replace the surrounds with either...

Presonus Sceptre S8

or...

Presonus StudioLive 328AI

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.