AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some idea's together when I build an LCR combo in the future. What are people's thoughts on active and passive crossovers? Do active crossover's introduce noise into the system? Having a look at the Behringer active crossover unit's the SNR is about 91db. What are some other quality active crossover's? How does sound quality rate with active or passive?

My design goal at the moment is to build two way speakers with a 12" pro style woofer and a large size compression driver with the flattest response possible down to about 80hz and at least 97db/w or greater sensitivity.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
for home audio...

wayne payham employs passives, see pispeakers.com 4pi's.

earl geddes employs passives, see gedlee.com summas.

as a couple examples of good passive designs.

skywalker ranch "stag theater" employs actives.

empire leicester square london employs actives.

jack bouska's design is pretty hard core as well: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=12126

as a few examples of good active designs.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Very passionate subject. Please go to ESP and read what Ron has to say for a more detailed technical explanation. Each has it's place. Each has advantages, each has disadvantages. Either could be executed well, or either messed up. Cost no object, active has higher potential.

So the most accurate answer is : It depends! (I have, and continue to build both)

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL86 /forum/post/16968901

Just trying to get some idea's together when I build an LCR combo in the future. What are people's thoughts on active and passive crossovers? Do active crossover's introduce noise into the system? Having a look at the Behringer active crossover unit's the SNR is about 91db. What are some other quality active crossover's? How does sound quality rate with active or passive?

My design goal at the moment is to build two way speakers with a 12" pro style woofer and a large size compression driver with the flattest response possible down to about 80hz and at least 97db/w or greater sensitivity.

I would take a look at this thread. It has what you are looking (speaker) for.
www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167816

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
They're just circuits that allow one to do different things. Both have advantages, and disadvantages. Which to use depends on which has the more compelling advantages, or least onerous disadvantages, for a given use and user.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Probobly the most important difference to consider that directly relates to your case is given the choice of passive, who would be designing the network? If you don't have the measuring equipment and capabilities needed to build your own, active DSP is the way to go in my opinion, as it will allow you to 'voice' the speaker to meet your tastes and room. If you have someone design a passive for you, once the system is set up, if there's areas of the FR that need seasoning, you may be faced with some component exchanges that may be more than you bargained for. On the plus side though, is cost as a passive design is usually cheaper and less amplifiers and cabling involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts