AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, it's the common cold and hoax I'm told daily. I'm gonna go out and do what I want. Who's up for sitting in a movie theater with 50 strangers coughing and sneezing?

This is the scary part!!! why are we having to argue with grown ass tax paying adults trying to tell them it's not a damn Flu??:( this world is legit stupid and it shows how easy it is to brainwash people with "facebook" and "social media" doctors even when they are surrounded by death and scientific data. everything is a freaking conspiracy with these idiots .

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
This is the scary part!!! why are we having to argue with grown ass tax paying adults trying to tell them it's not a damn Flu??:( this world is legit stupid and it shows how easy it is to brainwash people with "facebook" and "social media" doctors even when they are surrounded by death and scientific data. everything is a freaking conspiracy with these idiots .
I hear it everyday at work from a certain segment of the public. This is a hoax to take down a certain someone. Quote, nothing is going on out there.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear it everyday at work from a certain segment of the public. This is a hoax to take down a certain someone. Quote, nothing is going on out there.
Wtf! What plain of reality are these people living on? All we can do is take care of our selves and family as people are out here with a deathwish and we need to stay away from them. My sisters university upstate is already kicking everyone out until next semester and being very vague with details while schools in my down are trying to fight to close down since we had a case here. It's unfortunate you have to work around people that don't care and rather live in a fantasy. I hope you have extended paid work leave in case things get tough.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Wtf! What plain of reality are these people living on? All we can do is take care of our selves and family as people are out here with a deathwish and we need to stay away from them. My sisters university upstate is already kicking everyone out until next semester and being very vague with details while schools in my down are trying to fight to close down since we had a case here. It's unfortunate you have to work around people that don't care and rather live in a fantasy. I hope you have extended paid work leave in case things get tough.

It's fantasy land, that's exactly what it is.

·
Registered
722 Posts
One of the points that I feel is very important is that, apparently, you can be carrying the virus and not exhibiting symptoms for some time (days). Therefore, you might think you're fine while infecting others. Also, you might get over it without noticing any adverse effects (if you're young and/or tend to be robustly healthy). Like that NBA guy that had it, didn't know, and was jokingly touching reporter's microphones. Like, "ha ha, now you're infected!" Surprise! You might be! Womp womp...

It's hard for people to break that tunnel vision that's basically rooted in selfishness. "I got mine, screw everyone else" = "I feel fine/am low risk, why should I change my life?"

And I get it. Some people have jobs that they HAVE to be there, and in certain instances, not even the front line manager can do anything about that. It's a hairy thing to navigate.

My office sent out a thing that basically said, we're keeping the office open, but we encourage you to work from home if you can. Also, even people with like six degrees of separation from potential contact are being told to stay home for two weeks. Obviously, no international travel and only business critical domestic travel, and even that should be thought through rigorously.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've been around longer than I care to admit, and I've never seen anything like the global actions being taken. Never seen the markets react like this. I am by nature easy-going, non-conspiratorial, no tin hats for me. But this **** is making me wonder if there's something we're not being told...

·
Registered
582 Posts
( this world is legit stupid and it shows how easy it is to brainwash people with "facebook" and "social media"

you do realize that you are speaking of groups of people that:

1. eat squares of detergent meant to clean clothes
2. attempt to eat fine ground spices without choking
3. wrap themselves in plastic then vaccuum out all the air.
4. attempt to put circular copper objects into electrical outlets

the conspiracy theorists are just doing what they always do, justify their illogical theories with real world happenings.

darwin is real my friend, and he is watching from above laughing at all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lp85253 and MrGrey

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've been around longer than I care to admit, and I've never seen anything like the global actions being taken. Never seen the markets react like this. I am by nature easy-going, non-conspiratorial, no tin hats for me. But this **** is making me wonder if there's something we're not being told...

there is a lot of things we arent being told. there are a lot of things that we shouldnt be told.

that being said, people should just relax and not feed into the hysteria.

for god’s sake. i live with 3 women in my house and got the last 2 packages of toilet paper at walmart because people are feeding into the media hysteria. i wasnt trying to “stock up”, we were just running low....couldnt even do that without issues and i only got enough to last us the next couple weeks.

things will get out of hand, because people are letting it get that way.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whats mind boggling is that ive actually heard people in the medical field (nursing staff and technologists) agree with the propaganda put out by certain news outlets about this being hyped up just to make trump look bad. if people who are going to care for the sick feel this is mostly propaganda and nothing more than the flu, we are in trouble.
I'll never understand this mindset. When you are in those fileds politics shouldn't come into it. the only thing that should matter is the facts, data and all your medical knowledge. some of the USA media reminds me of state media overseas in countries with limited freedoms. How can it be legal to go on the air and tell millions this is all an hoax to attack someone?. The virus will do what it does and if proper measures aren't taken then life will take it course and that's that. Willful Ignorance isn't a shield against any of this.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'll never understand this mindset. When you are in those fileds politics shouldn't come into it. the only thing that should matter is the facts, data and all your medical knowledge. some of the USA media reminds me of state media overseas in countries with limited freedoms. How can it be legal to go on the air and tell millions this is all an hoax to attack someone?. The virus will do what it does and if proper measures aren't taken then life will take it course and that's that. Willful Ignorance isn't a shield against any of this.

i AM in that field, but for the most part we are making fun of the media about this. we are literally laughing at those who feed into the hype. because it isnt that bad.

i was speaking to one of my PA’s the ither day and he couldnt believe some of the stuff that’s happening. he called people some names i cant repeat here but for the most part he was calling everyone dumb.

but i agree with you, politics should not be taken jnto consideration when dealing with this stuff, and i assure you in my facility it is not talked about.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i AM in that field, but for the most part we are making fun of the media about this. we are literally laughing at those who feed into the hype. because it isnt that bad.

i was speaking to one of my PA’s the ither day and he couldnt believe some of the stuff that’s happening. he called people some names i cant repeat here but for the most part he was calling everyone dumb.

but i agree with you, politics should not be taken jnto consideration when dealing with this stuff, and i assure you in my facility it is not talked about.

I just really hope it doesn't get as bad in the USA as it is in Italy and other places as i honestly don't think the system or politics can handle being competent enough to handle such problems. the American citizens have ZERO backup from the government if they have to stay home for weeks without work or get crushed by medical bills. I just hope more people get tested and the infected rates don't get out of control because the American system is literally not built for this.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just really hope it doesn't get as bad in the USA as it is in Italy and other places as i honestly don't think the system or politics can handle being competent enough to handle such problems. the American citizens have ZERO backup from the government if they have to stay home for weeks without work or get crushed by medical bills. I just hope more people get tested and the infected rates don't get out of control because the American system is literally not built for this.

oh it will, and we will have the media to thank for it lol

·
Registered
26,531 Posts
why are we having to argue with grown ass tax paying adults trying to tell them it's not a damn Flu??
This isn't the flu, but it's also not Ebola. People are acting like contracting coronavirus is an automatic death sentence, which is not the case. Most people who become infected will be sick and miserable for a time, but will recover. It's more dangerous to the elderly and those with other health issues, but so is the flu. The major difference is that there is no vaccine for this one to stop infection and no anti-viral meds to reduce symptoms, so those in high-risk categories have nothing to protect them. Its rapid spread is also concerning, because it means that a lot of people will be sick (and potentially out of work) at the same time.

This virus is serious and should not be downplayed, but the mass hysteria around it isn't helping anything either.

·
Registered
582 Posts
exactly josh.

well said

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
582 Posts
and as i sit here at work perusing these forums, we just got notification of visitation restrictions, entrance/exiting restrictions, travel and group socializing restrictions. they are even stating essential personnel are“highly recommended” to not go to group socializing or travel when off the clock....dont know how that works, but oh well. i’ll just stay home with my scotch and my theater with the wife and get caught up on our shows and movies

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I find it oddly entertaining,

I did medical for decades and pandemics was something we prepared for as much as we could but in reality...mother nature can be a real mother. People are fully aware of my medical/technical background and have asked all sorts of bizarre questions. Basically, I break it down to thim in this way. Have you ever had a cold, flu or chicken pox? If so, you know full well what a pandemic is and the corona follows that path. When I caught the chicken pox as a kid, 80% of my school class caught it and we were all down for the count for a week. No mass hysteria, just the annual pandemic that attacks kids and off you go. The flu is the same way, around 1 out of 1,000 die but the world presses on. On occasion, we get a rather nasty little bugger that draws outside the lines, the 1918 Spanish Flu is the classic example. 50 to 100 million dead as far as they can estimate, really hard to do back then considering the World War 1 distraction. The interesting thing about the Spanish Flu is the death rate of 18 to 25 year old males and pregnant women. Normally, it effects the very young, very old and people with compromised immune systems--this was different. The main carrier of the Spanish Flu was aircraft, shipping and so on to spread it around the globe.

The corona virus is running by the same playbook but at least it is not as bad as the Spanish Flu. Throw in Ebola and it is really quite mild in comparison. I do find it entertaining that people think that some evil force created it, that a person would be stupid enough to create something that kills them as well as the "enemy". Nukes are not being throw around by the concept of "mutually ensured destruction" and if you play with bio weapons, that is the same exact thing. You can read a book called "The Hot Zone" for information on Ebola Zaire and Ebola Reston back in the 70's for more information. They finally got Ebola under control in Africa after 2 years, 2,800 people died but they got it under control. They tracked the AIDS virus back to World War I in Africa, it took 50 years until it finally started to move and now has killed 25 million or more people. I don't see people panicing in the streets over AIDS--I guess 25 million people dead is no big deal or you have become used to it. Just as the death rate from mosquito born infections are in the millions every year, we have accepted it.

The fear over corona is it is something "new". It spreads like the cold/flu virus that we are all comfortable with but has a higher death rate. If it makes you feel better, it is "natural" and "organic" so you have that. As with any pandemic be it the common cold, the flu, AIDS or so on it is up to the individual person to know, understand and try to minimize the risk themselves. They use to call that "personal responsibility" or some vintage term. I lived and am still living through the AIDS pandemic, ran into many patients that had it and I survived! Granted, when you work in a medical facility it is best to know, understand and practice the correct precautions when dealing with the latest in bugs that want to call your body their own. Oddly enough, all these nut bags with magic potions, probiotics, silver and crystals tend to give up on them and go to the hospital as the last resort. Once they return to health, they then claim the oils of some plant is what cured them or something... luckily a lot of those people get removed from the human race when the latest virus is more lethal and it shortens the time they can be in denial. As I tell people that believe is all sorts of things that don't work, the Pope himself has called off hanging out with the faithful and the Friday prayers in the middle east have been called off. If you choose to roll with your belief systems, even the big head believers are bending to reality so it might be something to think about. SARS/MERS has been around for over 15 years and none of the magic potions cure it--because if it did, it would of been used.

I did find it shocking that Angela Merkel from Germany stated that 70% of Germans will be exposed to the virus. She was immediately attacked for "scaring people". She is correct, a virus does what a virus does, does not think or judge in any way so it don't matter the person--the virus is the most fair. Think of it acting like the flu, be aware of how to minimize the risk and prepare for the spread. Very easy to do, just like flu/cold and chicken pox season (for the kids) In reality, it does not matter where it comes from, what belief system you have (if applicable), political party (if applicable) or your zip code. OK, the last one maybe but I don't think Antartica has zip codes. ;) You have lived through many global outbreaks in life, this is another one although a higher death rate. Since aircraft circle the globe daily, ships are docking all the time and the population nears 8 Billion--our viral pals are given a free ride. War spread the Spanish Flu a hundred years ago, since then transportation has become interconnected at a much higher rate and virus mutations happen constantly. Roll the dice every year, this year was snake eyes but that is to be expected. No conspiracy about it, pandemics have been going around the world spread by plants and animals long before we started banging rocks together and they will continue after we are extinct. As humans we attempt to control our environment but we don't have 100% control and never will.

Of course, drinking a gallon of bleach helps--well, it helps ME! Once less vector around... ;)

·
Registered
18,204 Posts

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.