AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search this. Does anyone know the ACTUAL bulb life on a Z1? Sanyo doesn't provide this info and I'm wondering if anyone has enough time on their Z1 to really know.

Thanks.

· Registered
384 Posts
the talk is that in low lamp mode, it has around 3000 hrs. In full lamp mode, about 2000. I have heard of some having their bulbs go out a 1000 hours. There are some on this board who are around 1000 hrs (I think rlindo is) who are still going strong. I'm at around 400 hrs and no dimming of light output.

Jason

· Registered
58 Posts
Actually I remember it saying 3000 hours in low power mode on the UK site.

· Registered
32,174 Posts
It was interesting to talk to the Sanyo guys at CEDIA. They felt bulb life in high-power mode would be around 1200 hours, and in low-lower mode around 2000.

They also felt that people using similar lamp technology and quoting multiple thousands of hours of lamp life were absolutely kidding themselves and their customers.

One thing I don't know (OK, there are many things I don't know), is how the RPTV sets with lamps differ -- or don't. It's clear to me that those sets have to have multiple thousands of hours of lamp life or else they are going to be very tough to sell, say, next year.

Is there some reason the RPTV lamps can last longer? Is there some reason the lamp in a Panasonic AE300 really lasts 2x as long as the lamp on Z1?

Mark

· Registered
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Is there some reason the RPTV lamps can last longer?
I'll just speculate that they don't need to be pushed as hard from a brightness standpoint and cooling in a bigger space is easier. Just guessing, though.

--Darin

· Registered
432 Posts
One ae100 owner reports 2600hrs on low lamp mode. Hmm I wonder how much brightness you lose at that point.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
On incandensent bulbs, the same bulb's life can be significantly lengthened by lower the power sent to the bulb. For example, the average light bulb will last over 20 years -- if the power driving the bulb is cut in half. (Similarly, a bulb will last longer if it's actually designed for a higher voltage/amperage rating than used in practice).

How does this apply to high-pressure lamps? I don't know.

Panasonic could be doing a better job of focusing light from the bulb through the lens and, in turn, lowering the power sent to the bulb after ignition. On the other hand, the power required to light the bulb is very high, probably can't be reduced, and represents a significant percentage of the bulb's life. So, it's hard to believe they've doubled the life expentancy.

While it's theorically possible that Panasonic may be able to get more life out of the bulb, they aren't guaranteeing this fact. I think it's too early to tell if their claim has any credibility. Therefore, it should not carry a great deal of weight when selecting a PJ.

· Registered
474 Posts
Any word on if the PLV-Z2 uses the same bulb as the Z-1? Hopefully the Panny AE-400 and 500 use the same bulb as the 1,2, and 300. More standardization= higher volume=lower prices (in theory)

· Registered
6,347 Posts
i am at about 990 hours...oh so close to that 1000 mark.:)

I would be shocked if my bulb magically died at 1000 hours. It still has good brightness (not like one might expect it to be before the bulb dies) and everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.