AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the gain of most commerical theater screens? Also is it the same material as the typical HT material or is it more dense or what? Any use one for your HT?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd /forum/post/14169004

Anyone know the gain of most commerical theater screens? Also is it the same material as the typical HT material or is it more dense or what? Any use one for your HT?

Hi Curtis,

1.5 is the most commonly used gain in commercial cinema on large screens.

However, testing shows that most do not get the full use of the full gain in their set-ups.

Ruben

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd /forum/post/14169577

What about the audio transparent screens, is the perferation too big/much or is it acceptable?

It depends on what kind of perf it is. Most commercial theaters use regular perforated screens which have very large perforations. Those perfs would be very visible in a home theater application and you probably would not like it.

Ruben

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents about commercial audio transparent screens. I have an old screen from when we replaced a screen at our theater. I originally thought of using it at home, but the holes really are too noticeable. Then, when you add the pixel structure on top of that it gets pretty messy.

I use my Sharp DT-510 at the theater and it looks pretty good on a 220"+ screen, but viewing within 15 feet is pretty nasty. 20 feet and beyond, though? Now you're talking.

I really wouldn't expect most of the people on this forum to use screens from commercial theaters; unless it's for a pretty big room, which is probably going to change the parameters of the build so that I find myself saying that I really wouldn't expect most of the peo....

I still may end up cutting out a piece to try. I mean, I have it...why not try? I thought about doing two layers of the screen material and see if that would make the holes less visible. But then, making a frame and stretching blackout cloth seems to make more sense.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX /forum/post/14169450

Hi Curtis,

1.5 is the most commonly used gain in commercial cinema on large screens.

However, testing shows that most do not get the full use of the full gain in their set-ups.

Ruben

Not to mention they are usually so dirty and discolored I doubt they are really getting that.

Perferations don't change the gain, but because you had many many holes in it, you lose about 10% light reflection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts