Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2...Wars-on-Bluray

I might be more excited about the documentaries and deleted footage.

After seeing how badly Lucasfilm screwed up the DVD release with their color correction and sound mixes (not to mention additional footage), I'm only excited about this to see how fans can undo their changes.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wish I could be excited about this. I'll be the first to register my Comic Book Guy displeasure across the internet if they release an ultimate box set without cleaned up, high-def copies of the original, non-SE trilogy.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Sounds like they might be planning to tie this in with the new tv series.

When is that coming out ? Possibly 2012 for the 35th Anniversary ?

For me the ultimate box set would have all six movies on 1 disc each and a further 3 discs devoted to a restored original trilogy. That means restoration of the original trilogy as they originally were released without any added CGI and Han shoots first and Boba Fett's menacing voice returns ( he sounds like a wuss now )

I'd like 3 discs full of extra's too so thats a 12 box set minimum. Doubt though that they would release the original trilogy in superb HD with restoration.

I bet that we would see more CGI inserts in the original trilogy and Yoda will be replaced with a full CGI version for The Phantom Menace.

I'd love to see a music only option in 5.1 for the complete set of movies. I also hope we get to see some deleted scenes of the snow creatures attacking the base in The Empire Strikes Back. I hope we finally get lots of deleted scenes as it's the one thing lacking from previous releases but we all know lots of deleted scenes exist.

I think next year will see an Indiana Jones boxset which will test the waters for any Star Wars boxset. I imagine it'll take time to do a really good boxset and they are probably working on it right now and have been for some time.

Lucasfilm won't go all cheap on this release and will do it right unlike what happened with Star Trek. ( You listening Paramount )

So when is the tv series out ?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I am so over waiting for the next Star Wars release on X format.

Lucas is going to do the same thing he did with DVD, wait until the saturation of Blu-Ray players reach a certain number.

Lucky for most of us, you can catch Hi-Def Star Wars almost anytime thanks to it being on cable everyday.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Personally, I prefer the enhanced version of the original films. But there are two things that really piss me off about Lucasfilm's attitide here: (1) They think that the Star Wars saga needs to wait for a "market penetration" that no other movie franchise in the world is waiting for. Heck, Lord of the Rings, Bond, Star Trek, Alien, and most other big series are already here or in the works, yet the market is just never quite good enough for Lucas. (2) They must realise that the majority of fans really don't like the prequels, yet they're talking about an all-six-flims-or-nothing scenario for BD. That's really going to please people!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Their line of reasoning "Waiting for enough Blu-ray players" is garbage. They realize that software moves players right? And that the SW franchise is arguably the most wanted?

Even if this was released for some 4K format that no-one could use yet people would buy it.

I'm not getting excited until I take the shrink wrap off a box set.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller /forum/post/16912975

Lucas is going to do the same thing he did with DVD, wait until the saturation of Blu-Ray players reach a certain number.

Lucky for most of us, you can catch Hi-Def Star Wars almost anytime thanks to it being on cable everyday.

Except typically that's only in 720p

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
People need to give up on the idea that Lucas will ever release the original trilogy in a high quality version. He hates the original movies, and no amount of talk about market share or what people want will change his mind. And yes, he's never lifted a finger to advance a format, only waited to cash in when he thinks it's grown big enough to suit him.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

Except typically that's only in 720p

Plus, are they in OAR?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really wish I could be excited about this, but I just can't see any way my beloved real Star Wars trilogy will be the main attraction. I'm not going to pay money for something I specifically do not want, and George Lucas has made it pretty clear that as long as he's in charge all we'll ever see is the Greedo shoots, Han walks over Grey Jabba's tail, Anakin Skywalker wasn't redeemed after all version. The best I can hope for is another stunt like the Unaltered Editions as Special Features from the last DVD, but in HD this time around.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I don't understand the whole market penetration thing for big titles. Ok, for a new movie like Fast & Furious, or your everyday catalog titles, they will sell the most within the first couple of weeks, so market penetration is important.... most people buying into blu-ray two years later won't look for those releases.

With something like Star Wars (and other really well known movies), people will buy a blu-ray player because of it. Not only that, if someone doesnt have a blu-ray player, they will most likely buy the set once they get the player.

Then there's always the option of repackaging, or individual releases a couple of years later. I don't care for these movies anyway, but I still think it's BS.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would gladly buy an all 6 movie boxset, provided they have the option of watching the original theatrical release of all 6 movies, as well as the new "special editions" of all 6 (Because, let's face, 1-3 will have some work done before release as well).

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
This isn't really news. There's nothing in that link we didn't already know.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/16913855

I wholeheartedly disagree. We knew nothing about deleted scenes, documentaries or a timetable of what they were doing.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/16913855

we know Lucas is pretty much done as a film maker. he is letting the market drive him (wait for player penetration) instead of him driving the market using star wars to expand the market for hi-def, being a trend setter what if he waited for theaters to upgrade their sound systems before introducing thx he was once a industry leader now is a johnny come lately follower.

p.s. they guy is with no disrespect a low level flunky who wiggled his way in the lucas camp by buying as much star wars crap as he could fined

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
While I appreciate the heads-up, DigitalfreakNYC, I got side with the others that say this is much ado about nothing. Star Wars will come when it comes and in what form it comes in. I'm done getting worked up about a series the amounts to two great films and a whole lot of mediocrity.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
The only thing I liked about the new version of the OT was the end Death Star sequence. Regardless I will buy all 6 when released on blu as they would have to be pretty bad to be worse than the dvds. As far as HD on cable, I don't think I've seen them in OAR, they have been 720p, and no lossless = unacceptable for enjoying these films in HD.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
To be honest I don't really care much about the changes anymore, or getting a true HD edition of the original versions. However I do want a seamless branching version with the original Anakin at the end of RotJ, that's my only request. Oh, and preferably no more pink lightsabers.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If George doesn't want me to buy his movies there are lots of others out there. And don't even think about asking me for a premium price if you are going to be the last movie released on the format.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.