AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am thinking of replacing my KEF x300As with a high end 2.1 setup 'cause the KEF setup doesn't easily allow for a sub. It's mostly going to be for playing lossless music. The KEFs are great but lack a sub out and I am finding that I prefer that in my environment.

So I have been looking at the ADAM A7xs which seem to be a good balance of size/cost/performance but I also want to pair it with their sub8 as well. The one thing I don't know how to do is hook up these to a PC. I currently run an external Schitt audio BiFrost DAC for my Beyerdynamics 880 phones, and they are great DACs but I don't know how I would get this DAC or another model to setup this external speaker setup.

Any and all advice is welcome. My room is about 12' by 12' and is basically an office with a large desk with the X300s mounted on the walls. 

It looks like Eve lol Adam and Eve, is the American company from the old CEO so these may be a good path as well but I don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I don't have Adam or Schiit, but I have a similar PC-only audio setup with sub. I run a digital connection from my PC to an Emotiva DC-1 DAC and then run analog from the DC-1 to both my powered monitors, Emotiva Stealth 6, and SVS SB-2000 sub. I use the XLR out for the monitors and the RCA out for the SVS, which has its own filters. I think the Emotiva Stealth 6 was a little better than the Adam A7x, but I have the necessary room for the rear-ported Stealth 6. The headphone amps, two of them, are excellent in the DC-1. I have Sennheiser HD-600 cans but really don't use them much.

You would need a Gungnir to do something similar, or just try a $3 RCA splitter on the BiFrost coming out. I did look at a Gungnir during my DAC search but also wanted an analog RCA INPUT, which the Emotiva DAC has, for my tape deck and turntable. Getting all that in a box about the size of the BiFrost was a major plus. Running LFE out straight from the PC to the sub is an option as well, but SQ would probably vary depending on PC's sound card. I'd probably be OK doing that since I have Asus ExtremeFX sound addon.

Adam and Eve. You'll go somewhere not remotely related to speakers if you type that into a search engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
Have you listened to the A7X? They sound pretty impressive without a sub. We use them in our media archiving studios. They sound good with turntables, open reel and DAT. Really haven't heard them with cassette yet. We don't use a sub but found it necessary for Tube Traps. As for listening to computer, we use Mytek A/D converters for pre-processing and RME cards for listening.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies. I just got back from Guitar Center and was able to listen to the A7X. They sound great but I still feel a need for a little low end. Now I am wondering if I should go with the A5X as this will sit better physically size wise to replace the KEFs. The A7x will hang off the lip by about 1 1/2". Not sure if it's a big deal or not but would look like crap. I'd have to get a larger platform. Perhaps the A5s with a sub would make more sense anyway?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to go with the Adam A7X with a new mount setup and the Sub8 with a Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC. We'll see how they work out. Thank you for the suggestion jevans64. That was exactly what I was looking for, that or the audiolab M-DAC which is 2x the cost and harder to find in the US.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts